Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many amps do the glow plugs draw?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arveetek, Nov 10, 2004.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

How many amps do the glow plugs draw? I wanted to know for sure, since it has been asked before.

I don't have an ammeter big enough to read the amp draw for all 8 plugs, so I measured a couple of individual plugs with my hand-held Fluke meter. The result? Two different AC60G plugs pulled 12.75 amps each at startup, slowly tapering off to around 11.5 amps after a few seconds. So, take 12.75 amps times 8 glow plugs, and you get a total amp draw of 102 amps dropping off to 92 amps after a few seconds have passed.

90-100 amps for 10 seconds or so is a lot of juice, so that's why it's very important to use a separate relay with heavy battery cables to carry the load. Running that much current through a single switch in the cab will probably result in burned up wiring or even in a fire.

Just thought I'd share! I like to know things for sure, so that's why I decided to check it out myself! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Casey

2. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

100 amp relays can be a little pricey. How about using three or four 40 amp relays and dividing up the glow plug wires accordingly?

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You can buy a Ford style starter relay pretty cheap, that's the way to go.

Casey

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Figure on 15 amps each.

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

GM manual says there should be 55 amps per cyl. bank. 110 amps total, sounds par to me... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

One instructor I had said he would test the individual GP leads with a hi beam headlight...for what its worth...