Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Many Are Believers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Apr 8, 2005.

?

What Are Your Beliefs Most Closely Related To?

1. Atheism

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Agnosticism

18 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Any Belief In A Supreme Being

41 vote(s)
    60.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

In the recent year I think I've matured quite a bit. One of the things that seems to always come up in relationships is spirituality. Part of me maturing is facing the fact that I don't believe in god...I don't really believe in anything...I don't think that any heavenly spirits exist and can save us all. I believe that we're just another animal that evolved in a weird way. Now, this is starting to sound way too philosophical but I have a question for all of you.

Are you:

A. Atheist (don't believe there is a god or any such being)

B. Agnostic (don't believe there's enough evidence to prove the argument either way)

C. Religious (we'll just classify this as believing in a supreme being)

Personally I could be classified as an Agnostic or an Atheist, since I don't believe in a spirit, but I don't have a problem with people who do. Vehicles, nature, and women are my religion. The sound of open headers at full throttle, the whisper of the wind on a cold morning, the curves of a woman that you can't take your eyes off of. These are the things that are real to me, that command my attention and give me chills that I can't shake.

I'd like to keep this going for a while, and see how many people really truly do believe in god. I've been broken up with and insulted for it, and I want to know that there are people like me out there. If at all possible, I'd rather not have any religious arguments since they never get anywhere. So, if possible, please just cast your vote and state your reasoning.

Thanks everyone.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know. One momment I belive, then the next I don't.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't think this is a great idea.

I'm agnostic. You don't know what you are. Thats fine for a time but I'd think about that. Atheism and Agnosticism are two different things. Border one another but not the same. You sound agnostic.

What are the two things you never discuss? Religion and Politics. What do we love to do here? Stir the ****ing pot.

Maybe you should step back and think about your own beliefs and other religions a little. The 3rd option is a little off. Belief in A supreme being? Not all religions or peoples believe in A supreme being. Many people and groups believe in the power of spirits and all the forces around you(yes much like THE force). As one long confused by this topic I just speak from my experience. Not to be offensive but I really think the way you sound on this you are not maturing in this respect. I know I am not, I just say **** it as of now. I don't believe in God, I don't believe in christianity(in reality I doubt I ever could) but I don't have a belief system set forth in anyway. In that way I'm immature I think.

4. mikey_d05

I live in an insanely conservative town where if you don't go to church every Sunday, everybody knows about it. It's a long story that I'd rather not repeat. If it makes people more comfortable don't even post, just vote.

Sled Dog, in response to your post. I don't think not knowing what's out there or what to believe is a sign of immaturity. I think not being able to admit indecision is a sign of it however. I'll revise the last poll option. However, this is already turning into a pissing match.

Edit: Alright, can't figure out how to revise poll option #3, anyone with enough sense to work a mouse will know what I mean.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I believe in love, and peace

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Flame Territory. I'll try to keep it simple, easy subject to muck up.

I do not believe in the strict guidelines laid down by religious leaders and institutions who have a distinct tendency to abuse their power.

I believe in good and evil, I see it every day in people. I believe in spirituality, strength of the soul.

I refuse to follow the guidelines as currently presented by leading religions. Too much editing has occured along the lines of history. The rules seem designed to keep people obedient instead of free thinking. Bit too judgemental IMO.

I follow my heart, do good where I can, and keep an open mind. I do not generally talk about my spiritual beliefs or foist them upon others. Religion is as bad as politics when it comes to deviding people into groups.

My wife is religious but not fanatical, she believes in God and that there is a better place. I went to Baptist church as a kid but what they taught made me very uncomfortable. That whole were going to be saved and you'll burn in hell philosophy does not sit well with me at all.

My wife and I do have something in common when it comes to beliefs. We generally keep them to ourselves while respecting other people's.

Whether you are agnostic, atheist or true believer you will have equal respect in my mind as a human being.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I believe in a divine presence. I have heard people say they do not believe in "God" cause he does not answer their prayers. As far as I am concerned, yes is not the only answer to a prayer, no gets used just as much.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Most people want something from their god. Even if I were religious I'd think thats stupid.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I believe in the Great Spirit, yet I'm not religious. The outdoors are my church. I have been indoctrinated in several religions, yet I believe one's deeds throughout their journey is the ultimate resume for entrance into the afterlife.

I'm loosely along the lines of what most Native American religious beliefs are.

10. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I will be the first

I will be the first to show the spiritual side. I believe strongly in God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit. I ask you all this one simple and somewhat provacitive question. Ironically I just read this last night, at the time I was trying to figure out why I was reading it but now I know. I have been deployed in Afghanastan for three months now. My wife has been saying she is going to send me a book. It arrived yesterday evening and this was one of the things I read in it. It is a book on sex from a biblical stand point. I know it sounds weird but bear with me for a minute. I quote "Anybody who has ever expienced great lovemaking knows the truth: Sex is too good to have just happened. It didn't evolve as the result of some cosmic accident. Something this exquisite had to have been lovingly, brilliantly, creatively designed. If an athiest ever comes up to you and demands proof that there is a God, all you have to do is answer one word: "Sex." Give him a day to think about it. If at the end of that day he remains unconvinced, then he has just rvealed far more about his sex life-or lack there of- than he ever intended!" Think about it! How could sex be an accident. If it was for reproduction alone we could be like worms and reproduce alone. No, This is a gift created not accidental. I realize I might catch alot of crap about this but I don't care. I do ask though if you are going reply and bash me to do it in my P.M. that way we can express our thoughts without offending anyone else. If anyone is curious where I pulled this quote from it was a book written Dr. Kevin Leman called Sheet music. This man is a very accreddited author, psychologist, and speaker. He is also a christian. Please feel free to reply with your thoughts and opinions like I have done.

11. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

With due respect, the Creator of the universe desires to fellowship and hang out with you. The One who creates the cool breeze, the One who inspired men to invent the gasoline and diesel engines, wants to reveal himself to you. The One who brings rain and crops, and wild game as food to the Native American Indian, came to earth as a man and revealed Himself to us all.

We, myself included, usually focus on the creation and worship it, instead of the Creator of all that exists.

Bluntly, this is because we faint at admitting we have sins, which unless acknowledged, confessed, and forgiven by Him, we just ignore the subject entirely.

Christ made the provision for our seperation form God - He died on a rugged cross for my sins, and all of humanity's. He paid the debt. He died so accepting his sacrifice is, accepting the fact He paid off your debt. He did it all. One fell swoop. Done deal.

Want proof?

Put Him to the task of supernaturally revealing Himself to you. Go for it!

Just read one chapter, a day, of the Book of John. For one month.
    Maybe 10 minutes a chapter. No big deal.
    Before you read, ask Jesus to reveal Himself to you. He will not hide. This is not a game for Him.

He absolutely showed up in my Life. Just do this and then you will know. Unless you really do not want to know. But you can trust Him, He's cool. You're not going to end up in Somalia as a Missionary!

P.S. I respect you guys. I will not enter into a back and forth argument over Faith. I have submitted my one, and probably my best, offering in this thread. I'm done.

I hope we can make the Canmore Clan proud here by not making Paul lock this thread.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd love to see a religion post not go ugly or get locked. Sooner or later I need to pick up a bible and read some. I've read parts but just what they made me in CCD. Do I think I will be converted? Nope. Do I want to understand your side maybe a little better? Yep.

Do I keep asking myself stupid questions that I answer in my own posts lately? Yep...

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I am torn on the subject. I was raised in a house with a lot of stress on moral values, we celebrated christian holidays, yet we were far from religious. The past 6 monthes or so I've read a little of the bible. I'm trying to get more into it, but it is hard after 20 years of nothing. My other complaint is a lot of religious people tend to be really hardcore. I like playing poker and drinking beer with my buddies on thursday night, and I don't think this makes me a bad person. Anyways, I might pm some of the members here, no one in this hippy town knows anything about the subject and I have a lot of questions. :o

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've found agnostics to be people most honest with themselves. They are people who know (as opposed to 'believe') that they don't have enough information to determine whether there is a higher power or not. Basically, they don't know. No one else knows either, but they'd rather not admit that to themselves or others. Athiests refuse to admit the possibility that there is a higher power... they don't really have any evidence to the contrary or anything, they just 'believe in not believing'... while religous folks (some of the most decent people you'll ever meet btw) are the exact opposite. Funniest thing, IMO, is that people still call believing in God "faith". Considering the sheer demographics of the situation (90% of people in America believe in SOME kind of higher power) it doesn't take any faith at all. A preverbial "everyone" thinks there is... so it doesn't require a single ounce of faith to believe in God, you just have to listen to everyone else and go with the flow.

j

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Like I said in my post about myself, when I was young I "was" Catholic. I never believed, I just went with the flow cause thats what life was. When I came of an age where I started having more issues with myself I realized I never did believe in God it was just something I said. I have always looked at God as a crutch to not deal with tings or to get over life. It works for many people, sometimes I wish I could just kneel down and utter some words and hope it all gets better. After years of that and everything else I realized it doesn't. Thats me anyway.

**EDIT** I wrote this whole thing about Jesus and something I realized recently but I won't post it here since it was somewhat off topic. If you care to hear my little raving, PM me.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm a believer in God, and Jesus as his son and the only path for man to be close to God again.

Why I believe this, I dunno, I guess what I've studied of the options, and to be honest, I think this is the way God shaped my heart now.

I have not always believed, and I even today I still have moments of "What if I'm wrong", but I've never put my trust in God and had Him fail me. I also believe noone should wholly use emotion or feeling to make decisions.

I spent plenty of time "seeking". Raised in public school I was pretty confident in Evolution, even though I didn't know anything about it. Another thing that irks me about public school, they said "this is how it is" without saying "here's why". So I had my foundation of "where we came from" set in evolution without even realizing it for a long time.
    However, my personal study of evolution has lead me to believe it's one of the, if not the, biggest hoax ever pulled on man. I'd bet 7 out of 10 average people have never looked any deeper into evolution than the idea that man came to be from tiny mutations over millions of years, with no idea why that is possible or impossible.

Of all things I've studied, I've found the bible to be the most logical and least fanciful. I've also researched it's own lineage and found modern versions are not watered down with time and copy errors as many people naturally think.
    Reading three lines of it may not appear so, it's definately potentially confusing, but really digging in and hammering it as a whole, self-referencing book, it comes out pretty solid. Archeaology is even supporting it more and more. There has only been one problem I've found in it that I can't resolve, and that's because I haven't worked on it. Experience in this gives me confidence that my understanding will change when I attack this problem.

I don't think I've ever pushed my beliefs on anyone. The bible says a believer is obligated to spread the gospel, but logically, nothing is "spread" if the listener is unreceptive. Jesus didn't want his followers to ram his gospel down people's throats... In fact, He even told his followers not to waste their time argueing about it. Ultimately, it's God, not me or any other believer, that spreads his message. I don't think I'll ever try to convince someone to believe, but I'm always happy to answer questions and clarify problems if I can help do so.
    I will raise my kids to know God as I do, but I can't make them beleive or be moved like I was. In time, it will be up to them to know where their heart is, I can only hope I've given them the right tools to reach the right answer.

Anyway, hopefully that's not preaching as much as it's explanatory for me...
    I had more words on other religions, but I cut them to shorten up this post a bit... Yes it was longer... :blush: :crazy:

RJ, before you respond, just FYI, I'm not going to get into a drawn out discussion with you, so please don't quote and pick apart this post. Reply to my last PM to you if you want to, uh, learn more about what I beleive. :)

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I chose the third option.

I could tell the whole story, but it's about three pages in Word, so I'll just summarize it :)

I didn't used to believe, and I wasn't always sure. However, I learned a thing or two about God, and at a time when I needed it most, I invited Christ to come into my life. I've seen for myself the blessings that come along with that decision. I know that my life was changed because I have faith. I have also seen other people's lives be changed for the better thanks to Jesus Christ.

I really have no reason not to believe, knowing what I know now. Before, when I wasn't "full of religion" (to steal a line from Aqua Teen Hunger Force), none of it made sense. Now it all does, and it's a great feeling knowing that there's somewhere for me to go after I die if I'm worthy, and someone who cares so much about me that he sent his son to die for me, and sent people to teach me about his works and make me realize what a mistake I had made in not knowing Christ.

That is all. Good luck figuring out what you believe... If you want to chat, my PM box is empty :cool1:

18. mikey_d05

I really appreciate everyone's input so far and the fact that this hasn't turned ugly. Keep 'em coming.

19. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Did not vote because the supreme being is not quite right.
    I believe in god and his son jesus. In the military we went to a churh that was protestant. Any of the protestant religions is ok with me some believe a little different than others. I do not believe the catholics are doing some things the way the bible says but at least they are christian. I am happy to discuss this with anyone. Anyone here that has really believed can tell you of a change in there life. Some people do more wrong than others and are at a little different stage in thier moving along to a level of believing. I guess just some people are more tempted by sins than other. Just try and read the bible from time to time and see what god reveals to you. You may discuss with people but god will let you understand your reading in a way that you need too. It is nice to go to church and it gives a nice peaceful feeling to help deal with other things but sometimes schedules don't always allow. I have friends of a few other religions and will talk about the subject with people but do not want to argue. It is all christians responsibility to witness so others can speak up to like supose to. :wink1:

20. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

I do not believe in God, or a divine presence. I feel that the concept was created by people do help deal with their fear of death, and other unknowns. I also think that the power of the human mind in the conscience and un-conscience realm is such that it can manifest and create visions and feelings and to the religious, taken as a divine presence or miracle furthering a persons or a society's belief in whatever God they pray to.

You can flame me if you want, but this is what i think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.