Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how many are towing their trail rigs???

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by solowookie, Feb 28, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda thinkin of towing my trail rig so my wife and kids have something they can take other places to play if'n they get bored...

how many are towing their trail rigs up???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

If I can't tow I won't go!!

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

My Blazer follows me whenever I go wheelin. I am not willing to trade cruise, AC, cd player and nice reclining seats for these guys theory of drive to the trail. I do drive to the trail, my Blazer, however, rides on a trailer

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

odds are mine will be on a trailer. I know the Burb will make the pull to moab and the Willy's too. it's the trailer that will cause the headaches,LOL.(knock on wood)

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

trailering the rig? BAH! My rig can handle the hwy, the only reason i wouldnt want to trailer it would be either a) to save tire wear or b) to save gas money.

As far as tires go, I will have a seperate set for the trail, so thats no reason to use a trailer.

And gas mileage....just how good of gas mileage cant you get from a big bruiser diesel rig when towing a 3 ton monster? Cant be much better than what I'd get just driving the Jimmy.

I guess if I had no OD and 5.13 gears or something I'd trailer it...maybe... =p

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

6. solowookie

actually the biggest reason I'm considering towing isn't because my k5 isn't road worthy, but so that my wife and kids can go do something besides hit the trails with me if the want to.

I'm still trying to scrape $$$ together to get a camp trailer, and if I can do that there will be no contest; I'll be using my trail rig to tow the camp trailer.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Yours can handle the hiway cus it was made to. Yours is a production vehicle that meets hiway standards.
    I could do the two tire thing but how do 33's with 5.13's go on the road and where would I put 39.5 boggers?
    Yeah I would rather drive it there but 1000 is a long ways to walk.
    a 90 burb with a fuel injected 350 and a 40 gallon tank would go farther then a carb hog. Although it is a 305 the gears and tires and lockers make the hiway more fun[​IMG] It's too far in advance to say I'm not towing..just the odds are it will be.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

8. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

O.K. let's see here we have two choices:

1. A/C, nice ride, room to haul spare tires and lots of parts, Room for tools, half top and room for all camping gear and coolers.

2. harsh highway ride, not many spare parts, no extra set of tires, no A/C, one cooler and limited amount of gear. Also the question of should I do that obstacle cause if I break how do I get home?

I bought the trailer a few years ago for the last reason. Then I sold my half ton pick (couldn't handle 20' trailer and Blazer on it) and bought an ext. cab dually to pull it. Now I'm considering a slide in pick-up camper for all the creature comforts you could ask for.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

9. solowookie

yea, but you guys are probably traveling a lot further them me, I think Moab is only about 4 hours away... for me it really isn't a big deal either way.

I don't plan on running to hard it being my first trip to Moab and all, and I don't plan on taking enough time to build tie downs for all my stuff and carry tons of spare parts etc. I'll be much more prepared for next time because I got a few other things on my agenda to do to my k5 before I get to that stuff.

p.s. my trail rig is going to have A/C!!! LOL (wouldn't have it any other way)

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I agree with David,
    But for me, I have always drove my Blazer to the trail and where ever I went wheel'in but the biggest problem is the breakage factor. If you break in Moab and no one has the part, you are kinda .ucked. Not much in parts out there except the ones we all bring (everyone bring extras!).
    So far I have been really lucky (the wood thing again),
    38.5's and 10 bolts but that just makes you be extra careful and easy on the pedal...no fun.[​IMG]
    I will be looking for a trailer soon without a doubt. If you have the chance to bring your ride out on a trailer...DO IT!
    Even if I can get the truck one ton before than, the trailer is the way to go.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

11. solowookie

oh I would agree, but I also think ya gotta build yourself up to that point... Rome wasn't built in a day.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If I can get a trailer by then (blazer fund runnin a bit low) I will tow. Only because as 55Willys stated 1000mi. is a lonnnggg walk, and I don't think work would understand. LOL

The Red Beast

13. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

14. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Must be nice to have 2 options... like I could convince the wife to let me keep my truck AND a trailer in the driveway? Yea right... and rent one? Hell no! It'll cost me more to rent it than it would cost to FEDEX the damn thing there! [​IMG] Besides, I don't have a tow rig worthy of towing my 3ton truck... All I have is a little Astro van... and that can't hack towing about 7000lbs...

Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with having a numb @ss when I get to Moab! That is unless someone from the Midwest Caravan has a hookup with a 2 or three truck trailer! Now that would be sweet! [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://home.attbi.com/~netwrite>Midwest Caravan</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

15. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I am only 5.5 hrs away, but if it were 1.5 hours I would still trailer it. Moab is very hard on parts and yes I can tow and get better gas mileage than my K-5 gets driving it, plus when you crest two 11000 ft peaks along the way, the ole carb does not like the elevation change. I dont like not having a roof for the spring storms in the mountains.
    Dave, Dave, light on the go pedal HA! I was with you in Moab last year and if you think that is light on the go pedal I would hate to see your idea of heavy

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey, to each their own. Its all good. I doubt my truck will be a trailer-rig for at least a few decades. I *could* save up and buy a big diesel rig to tow it with + a trailer.... but I'd rather put that money into my Jimmy! ;) as long as I have OD and can bring along a set of big trail-only tires, I dont see much need to trailer it.

As far as parts breakage, it could definitely happen.. then again, if you break something, you'll be more motivated to fix it now wont ya? =p school prolly doesnt start for a month after the trip... so assuming I can get myself and my rig home in that time frame, its allllllll good. ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

17. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I will be towing mine.I am only 3 hours away.I just bought a 77 Chevy 1 ton crew cab dually for towing and camping.Just bought a cab over for the truck.The wife doesn't like sleeping in a tent.Plus like Butch said if it rains I am wet!I have been driving the Blazer everywhere for the last 3 years but this year I don't want to worry about how to get home.Still need to buy the trailer though.But I have one lined up for $500.Just need the money now.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You ain't seen nothing yet Tim....[​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

19. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking aobut towing mine out, just because of the breakage factor, and the intensified murpheys law factor. granted, a suburban towing a suburban ought to be a helluva sight, but its gotta beat pushing a broken one home some 500 miles or so. besides that, the C20 gets incredible gas mileage, running at 13 MPG, constantly, regardless of towing, loaded, empty, uphill, downhill, its all the same to that thing ( I love my 454) and even if the huge suburban behind it hacks at the gas mileage, it can't get any worse then the 7 I get with the K20, and thats running premium.

fortunately, there's still like 5 months or so between now, and then to either get a trailer, or get to be good friends with someone who's got a 7000 Lbs capacity trailer, with trailerbraking systems and whatnot. ( I see them go in the paper for about $1000 all the time, tandem axle, with brakes... figgure get one of those, repack the bearings, get the brakes tested/overhauled as necisary, and call it good)

-Rich

-Rich

20. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My Blazer follows me whenever I go wheelin. I am not willing to trade cruise, AC, cd player and nice reclining seats for these guys theory of drive to the trail. I do drive to the trail, my Blazer, however, rides on a trailer

<hr></blockquote>

I couldn't agree more. (getting old) I am building my gooseneck trailer now. I am going to pull it with my Dodge Dually with a Cummins, gets about 13 MPG. I am also bringing my wife and we don't go anywhere without our Honda Rancher 4-wheelers. So, I will have the Blazer and 2 four wheelers. I can't talk my wife into driving one of the four wheelers 600 miles so that is that. If the Blazer breaks we can still have fun, fun, fun. Also, it will be nice to have some 4 wheelers there for parts runners too.

John