Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many bolt mounts on my TC should there be? 3?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

How many bolt mounts should be on my Torque converter? I count only three, should there be more? Im thinking one or two might have broke off..

Dont know if this will help but my transmission is a 13 bolt pan, GM turbo 350, my truck is a 1976 k5 blazer..

By the way, I thought a rod was knocking in my motor!! Took a look at my TC and all the bolts where out except one that could be unscrewed by hand!!

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, there is only 3. Well there are 3 on my 400 to 6.2 and there were 3 on my 350 to 350. I had that problem a few years ago too. Sounded like I had some engine problems but turned out to be loose bell housing to engine bolts and the torque converter bolts were loose too.

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Thank you sir :D

So should I use some lock tite? or just buy new bolts and tighten them back up? Do they need to be torqued at a certain spec?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most torque convertors use 3 bolts but some HD convertors use 6 bolts. The fact that the bolts were loose and the convertor was banging back and forth against the holes means your flexplate may be damaged as well. I would inspect the bolt holes for elongation then if it looks good just buy new bolts and re-install them without any locktight but make sure they are tight. There is no torque value for these bolts.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You must have a gas TC.
    The 6.2 diesel TC has 6 bolts.
    I worked on one that had one left of the 6:doah:
    As for the original poster yes 3 on yours and tighten them real good, no locktite so you can take it appart when you need to.
    Like Scott said if you had been running it like this for w hile you want to check the holes.
    What I noticed was that the bolts that fell will have nice clean holes and the one that was left will have a wollowed out hole.
    :eek1: