Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how many ft. lbs. do you torque the 14 bolt hub nuts to?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Apr 21, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

how many foot pounds do you torque the 14 bolt inner & outer hub nuts to, and where did you get your information? Im getting conflicting numbers (LARGELY conflicting) and I want to double check.

SOMEHOW my factory manuals "forgot" to list that information.

the more replies the better. thanks

mike

2. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

According to Haynes Repair Manual- 50 ft. lbs. Hope this helps!

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my manual, Hayes, says inner to 55, then back it off. inner the 35 and backed off 1/8 to 1/4 turn. then the outter is to 65.
    thats how my buddy and mine are done with the disk brakes. i have not been able to drive mine, but he has. and has no problems.
    grant

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Checked a little deeper in the manual. It says, 50 ft. lbs. for the inner nut, and 65 ft. lbs. for the outer lock nut.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Torque it to 50 lbs and youre putting a lot preload on it. Its a good way to eat up your bearings and races. The procedure that was given earlier with the back off and retighten then back off again is correct. This is the way Ive read it it 3 different manuals so I know it is correct.

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

50 lbs then back off to what?

I think Im just going to go with 55lbs per nut. If I have to adjust it to get the lockwasher to line up, Ill back it off.

Heck the front calls for 60 I think.. at least my manual says "K10/K20 AXLE SHAFT TO HUB BOLTS"

now that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. but if they meant to say Nuts instead of Bolts, it makes sense. Otherwise what would an axle shaft to hub bolt be? no such thing.

on a related note, it calls for 60 on K10/20 and 90 on K30

.... I think I torqued the front to 55 on my dana 44.. Ill probably do the same for the rear 14 bolt. should be sufficient.

any other suggestions?

mike

7. BlueBlazer

When it comes to stuff like this its best just to consult a manual than to take the word of people on here. You see, when you torque a tapered bearing, you preload it. Preloading and also looseness are the enemies of a bearing. The looser it is the faster is will wear. The more torque you put on it, the more preload and more wear. The 50 ft lbs is just to seat the bearing on the races and the spindle. Then you back it off a certain amount, torque it again, and then back it off again. Its different for different years, so I wont give specific numbers. Basically, if done right, you want just slight preload on it, like it you tightened the nut by hand. 50 ft lbs will go WAY over this resulting in way too much preload. Hope this helps

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

'zero preload' is what you are after.
    if you torque it to 50 you are guaranteed to destroy your bearings.
    you torque the inner up to ensure the bearings and races are fully seated, then loosen it off, then while spinning the hub tighten it up until there is no in n out movement in the hub.
    then try and line up the lock washer, you can flip it over to try

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Ive consulted several manuals with no luck, thats the whole reason Im asking. I have a real hard time believing I want the nut hand tight.

Ive put many many miles on dana 44s torqued to 45-55 pounds. No bearings lost to date.

REALLY what Im gathering is that its not that important, if anything. with these varying answers and all. Everybody here says it has to be done their way, or failure is imminent, but nobody agrees on whos way is the right way.

the search for the truth continues......

10. BlueBlazer

Haynes and Chiltons manuals are cheap and I know both have the correct procedure.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike, I had a thread like this too when I put my 14b disk together, same conflict. You can search for it. The majority won by a large margin with 50lb inner to seat it, then back it off and retighten to 35lb and only back off enough to fit the lock ring. Outer was 65lbs.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I went with the Haynes manual when I did mine. Also remember, when you torque to 50ft-lbs, when you back off as described in the manual, it doesn't have to move much to release a lot of the torque you had applied. So in the end you don't have 50ft-lbs.

On the front axle, there is a few procedures decribed depending on year. Basically you torque to seat the bearings, back off the nut, retorque and back off again, and then do the lock ring and nut. I found that the inner nut after following the seating instructions was about hand tight. Everything was tight and there is no play in it, so i am assuming all is well. So far so good. Just make sure to follow the directions for your year, the torque amount is quite different.

In the Haynes manual (1967-1987 GM & GMC Truck), the front wheel bearing adjustment info is on pg 288

Rear Wheel bearing(14bff) info on pg 283

Maybe this will help someone...

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the dana 44s you are refering to wouldnt happen to be front axles that run in grease?
    they usually call for some preload.
    I dont see any conflict in 90% of the replies on this thread, they all say to back it off.
    my dana70 specs call for torque it to 120-140# then back off 120degrees should result in .001"-.008" clearance.
    this is the same as most every ff axle.
    they are your bearings run them however you want.
    be aware though that these are tough bearings that normally run for decades with no maintainance in Joe Sixpaks ole truck.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Heck the front calls for 60 I think.. at least my manual says "K10/K20 AXLE SHAFT TO HUB BOLTS"

<hr></blockquote>

this is not the spindle nuts being refered to

15. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

"the dana 44s you are refering to wouldnt happen to be front axles that run in grease? "

What do you mean by this? Are there applications that shouldn't be packed in grease? I'll putting together a 14bFF right now and trying to gather info. Thanks

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the ff axles run in gear oil so do not grease them

17. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

this is not the spindle nuts being refered to

<hr></blockquote>

YES- but what IS it referring to? that is the question of the day.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would guess they are refering to axleshaft to hub bolts, like a full time flanged axle???
    I have never seen bearings set as a torque value, it is always as a freeplay or preload measured in depth.
    some specs will give degrees of rotation as they have figured the thread pitch over that many rotations will provide X thou freeplay/preload