Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how many guys wheel there diesels

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by darkshadow, Jan 11, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

post up. you wheel it?

and what do you do?

mostly rock guys or do we have some mudders too?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I wheel mine in everything.
    I had it on the rubicon, I wheeled in in Sand dunes, on Snow, in Mud.
    I was in mud pit up to the door handle and got out fine.
    I will try to upload some newer photos to show the progress as I wheeled it and dropped some parts off it.
    :D

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive wheeled it in rocks, sand, and mud. Been very happy with the diesel. There are times i wish i had a tubo, though.

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Guilty.

While I'm hooked on rocks, I'll try just about anything once.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rocks, trail, some snow...little bit of mud. Haven't found anything it sucks at yet.

Rene

6. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

I wheel it! Mostly in Mud. Sometimes I wish I had more wheelspeed but never had a problem slinging mud. :D It has plenty of power with the 4:56's. I love it, wouldn't have it any other way. One day it may grow up to be a turbo or maybe a cummins!

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Mine is for towing but I have a question for those that do wheel them. Do you just keep your tank really full? I know with my C10 with saddle tank if I have less than half a tank and get headed down hill with a stop I will run dry and get air bound. How do you keep that from becoming an issue off camber? Tank baffles? or just keep it full?

8. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I was wondering that myself .
    I'm putting a 6.2 in my jimmy crawler project that I'm building.
    I used to wheel my suburban alot in the mud when I had 36"MT baja's on it.Now it's more of a tow rig.It does pretty good in the mud,especially with the turbo

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've been wheeling in a muddy/rocky trail once since I did the diesel swap. Never had a problem with the tank when low and off-camber or on hill though. But that is one thing about the diesel, you can spend all day on the trail and not burn much for fuel compared to a gas rig :grin:

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Kenny hit it:D

When i go to the Badlands, its a 130 mile drive from my house. I fill up the night before, drive down, wheel all day, and drive back. I use just over 1/3 of a tank when its all said and done.

11. tRustyK5

The pick-up is right at the bottom and in the center of a K5 tank...plus it is baffled. I've never had a problem, but I usually wheel with 3/4 tank or more. Actual fuel consumption on the trail is nearly nothing...

Rene

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Mine is now a dedicated trail rig that gets towed to the trail. We have the typical midwest type terrain with lot's of loose dirt and rock hill climbs, ruts, and some mud (don't really do any deep bogging or anything).

With 4.10 gears (60/14FF), 700r4, and 241 t-case I rarely have trouble spinning the 38" TSL's, though there have been a few times on greasy hills that a little more wheelspeed would have been nice.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Mine sees mud mostly, I dont really know if you would call our two lane dirt roads near home muddin or trail running, due to going up and down hills etc. But my truck sees mostly mud duty, it would see snow also if it was more reliable, but its been having issues since june.

14. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Mostly rock and mud here in Tennessee. My blazer is used mostly for search and rescue through our local Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES). It's volunteer work through amateur radio. Most recent waas the search for a deer hunter that had lost his way in a nearby county. No problems in the mud, snow, rocks and fallen trees.

15. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wheel it in whatever I can. Mud, rocks, lakes..... :D

16. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

well, I found what my diesel sucked at, Water crossings, sucked it up and kocked it up, still not running, but I haven't had time to mess with it, other than that, I loved it, I did a good big of trail riding, some mud and hill climbes, and the occational rocky terrain. I can't wait to have it back running, I miss it soo much, nothing like a diesel with glass packs and a 4 speed:D

[​IMG]

--Steve--

17. tRustyK5

With a snorkel a diesel is superior to a gas engine for deep water 'fording'. Without a snorkle...they hydrolock just like any motor.

Rene

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I didn't have a snorkle but I have a nice tractor air cleaner housing and I was able to go in muddy water up to cover the engine, just under the botom of the window and it never had a problem, and I was even at a 45 degree sideways for 5 minutes trying to get out of the mud hole, never a problem of fuel starvation or oil pressure.
    :D

19. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i wheel mine everywhere, snow, hill, rocks n mud. I'm the first one to get a phone call if a buddy gets stuck because the diesel can pull them out of a sink no problem. I tend to always wheel a 1/4 tank and never had a problem getting air in the lines. But there have been a couple times being on the throttle hard and letting off real quick and then the engine would instantly cut out. other than that, its' never had a problem off road, besides braking an axle and then rolling on it's side on a hill.