Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many here do NOT get along with their parents???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fordeater, Jan 23, 2007.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just wondering. I haven't talked to my parents or family in like 4 months now. I'm forbidden from calling them or stopping by their house. LONG story, but no skin of my back.

Just wondering if there are any others who do not talk to their family.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

If they're sober, I can tolerate them. Sometimes.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

everything is good with mom and dad. Other than my wife, my dad is my best friend. He kicks ass. We had a bit of trouble when I told 'em that there weren't going to be ANY guests at our wedding... but other than that, things have been cool with my parents since I was about 14. I'm going to be the executor of their estate when the time comes, so obviously they have some confidence in me.

j

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've been off and on with my parents. We've yelled and screamed and fought and argued but that's about it. As I've gotten older and lived my life my parents have realized that no matter what they want or do I and my wife are not a modern rendition of them.

I'm 28 and when I left for the Marines after HS at 19 I was ready to just go away and never come back. Bootcamp and some soul searching while in changed my perspectives but I definately came to the realization that I get along better with my parents when there's distance between me and them. Two thousand miles was just about great. However I got annoyed with them fairly quickly when they came out to visit.

Then I got out and moved home and lived with them for two years...oy...never again...:doah:

Now I live 3 hours from them for half the year and the other half they're in Florida...works for me. We see them several times a year and it's good to see them but when we leave or they leave it's usually the right time.

The funny part is my brother is pretty much the same way. When his job asked him where he wanted to transfer to after training he gave them two definate no's...both happening to be where my parents are half the year.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I get along with mine, but they aggravate the crap outta me. I also live way too close to them, and my dad has a lease on the garage attached to my house, so I'm predisposed to be annoyed...

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol... just for refence, I live about a half mile from my parents. ;) :thumb:

j

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I get along great with my Mom and (step) Dad. Now my real father is not so high on my list. In the last 31 years he has never came to see me and I have only received one phone call since new years day 1986 and that was only because I was in the hospital. I now live only like 50 miles from him and nothing has changed:rolleyes:

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Mine are on the next block, diagonal to my house. My property goes through from block to block which puts my backyard along side their property, so we made the mistake of joining the yards. Now, when I let my dog out, my dad lets her into his house and feeds her junkfood and I trudge off looking around the nieghborhood for her (this only happened 2x before I learned). And when my dad collects 9000 pounds of junk from a building reno or something, it starts to spill over into my yard... Ah, the list could go on, but I don't have to buy a lawnmower, and when I need some really unusual tool or an arbitrary piece of metal or shop tool to fab something, it's all pretty convenient.
    It's inconvenient when my dog gets a $700 cut in her foot from his junk, or my toddler falls onto something and slices his hand open...

9. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

bro, we have so much in common when it comes to the dads. I get along with my mom, but we're not real close like we should be. I get along with my step dad only because I refuse to dwell on the crap he caused us.

10. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I have a great relationship with my parents. My dad is my hero and best friend, and my mom is one of the most wonderful people I know.

I love them more than anything.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't talk with my dad, mom, or brother. They forced my to choose sides long ago and I chose MY family. Thankfully, Kim's mom is an awesome lady who treats me like her own son. I love her to death........:thumb:

12. fordeater

Thats how my inlaws are Paul. My mother in law is a better mom then my own mom EVER was. I got along with my dad pretty well, but when things went sour, he reacted the worse. Oh well.

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I get along great with my dad.. I didn't used to, but after mom died, I was the last kid still at home, and I set about fixing what was wrong between us.. also helped him learn how to be social, make friends, and enjoy life for a change..

my sister and two brothers are products of my dads first marriage ( i'm the youngest, btw ).. these relationships are all kinda complex..for the longest time, I was the one everyone talked to, and I mended fences, and explained the others positions on family issues.. lately I feel kinda isolated from them..my wife threw me a suprise birthday party in july, and not one of my siblings showed up..my friends, on the other hand, came and stayed all day.. It's funny.. I know my family loves me, I just know my friends value me more..

I think I brought it on myself.. during the most recent family dramas, I was blunt about a lot of things, trying to get folks to pull their head out of their asses, and maybe I pushed them a little too hard, I dunno..I'm sure we'll fix it eventually..

my dad's great though.. my plan is, when we're doing well enough to get our own place, we're taking him with us so we can keep an eye on him, and if he ever gets alzheimers or anything, we'll do the in home care bit.. for now, he has great life, running around with his friends, and crusing around in his musclecars, and spoiling our dog.. heck, he's planning on doing the hot rod power tour this year..

Tom

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

My parents and I had problems from the day I was born. My Dad died when I was 17 and Mom when I was 25, back then I felt completly different about them than I do now at 45. Now days I look back and realize how much of an idiot I was and how many problems I caused for them that they didnt need. I also realize now just how smart and how good of parents they really were.

Even though I did not get along with them when they were alive, I'd give anything for the chance to thank them now.

15. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

My dad was/IS an ass!

My mom is a PIA, but I love her.

And let me tell ya this, the old addage "The older you get the smarter your parents get" well it just ain't all that true.

16. fordeater

For me, the older I get, the more I realize that they were and still aren't good parents.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i cant bitch too much. well, except for the fact that they're both snoring at the moment. that pisses me off. CLOSE THE DAMNED DOOR!

seriously though, my dad and i are fine when we're just putzing around the house or a car show/swap meet. when it comes time to do something (yard work, home improvements, fixing vehicles, whatever) we need to just stay out of each others way. we're both very hard headed. he does things a certain way, and that is the be all end all way to do it, period. I on the other hand, try to figure out a quicker, easier, cheaper way to do things. i guess its just my nature. :dunno: it just doesnt work well putting the two of us together in a situation like that.

my mom on the other hand, is pretty easy to get along with most of the time.

18. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I don't hang out with my parents or anything... We pretty much just live in the same house and I eat all their food :D

I wouldn't say I HATE them, but I just keep my time spent around them limited...

19. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used to have a lot of trouble getting along with my father, but I was the problem in that case. I matured, and now we get along pretty well, except on the point of keeping my shop clean, that still makes him pretty upset, lol

I've always gotten along well with my mother, though we do occasionally snap at eachother if she is nagging me about something constantly that I feel is a null point... She has a thing with blowing really insignificant stuff way outta porportion...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I loves my mom. Never see her due to odd working schedules, but I still loves her.