Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how many horses?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldbandit, Jul 16, 2001.

1. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I am finishing up the rebuild of my 350 4 blt main. It is bored .060 over with 2.02/1.64 heads, an eledebrock cam, intake and carb, and headers w/ 2 1/4" exahuast with flowmasters. I'm also running a dished piston to bring my compression down to 8.5:1. My ? is, about how many horses will i be running? I know the only REAL way to know is to have it dynoed, and i will try to find one in my area after the break-in period is over. I was just wondering if someone with the same setup (or similar) has had theirs dynoed.

thanks
    baldbandit

"Have you driven over a F@RD lately!!

2. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

I am guesing its close to 5000.
    Just J/K I actually have no clue.

Stuck? Isn't that a bird!
    Steve

3. baldbandit

i was thinking more like about 325! too high? too low?

baldbandit

4. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

yeah that sounds about right but i really have know clue so whatever i say is irelevant. sorry.

Stuck? Isn't that a bird!
    Steve

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If your running an Edelbrock package cant they help you at all?? Not that I dont want to I just dont know. Edel. should have an idea of what you have. Personally I think the compression is a little consevative, I woulda gone 9.5 myself. Oh wait I did!! LOL!! maybe someone else will be more help.

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

6. baldbandit

Well, i wanted to run flat tops and that would have given me a 9.5:1 but with rising gas prices, i didn't want to have to buy the higher grade gas. This was my first engine rebuild, and i thought i could run the lower grade gas with 9.5 to 1 but several of my friends talked me into going a little lower on the compression. They said 9.5 to 1 was border line, so i went ahead with the dished pistons. I know the fellow that built my big block before i got it, said it was running 10:1, and i ran bottom grade gas in it all the time with no problems. With the lower compression, i might run a supercharger later on! Just a thought! I would really rather run a TPI system instead!

thanks
    baldbandit

7. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I see that you are running Edelbrock carb, cam, and manifold... If you can tell me which ones, I may be able to help you get close on an estimate of hp. I'm guessing the 2101 Performer manifold with 2102 cam, but hard to guess on the carb. Also, have you done any port work on the heads, and do you know what they came off of?

Let me know, and I'll do the best to get close. [​IMG]

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

supercharger!!!! now your talkin!!!! better to be conservative on your 1st build I guess. then go nutz! hehe!!

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

9. baldbandit

502 burban

i'm running the 1406 carb w/electric choke, 2101 manifold, and 2102 cam. The heads are world products 68cc S/R Torquer heads. They have manley stainless steel valves, 7 degrree retainers and locks w/ 3/8 screw in rocker studs, 1.25 " single spring, 100# @ seat, .560" max lift, 2.02 x 1.60 valves and 170 cc intake runner. I bought these heads new in the box. They also have a raised valvecover gasket area to help against valve cover leaks. These are also cast iron heads.

thanks
    baldbandit

10. baldbandit

pureinsanity

"CONSERVATIVE" it was all i could do to keep from going "all out" on this build up! LOL!!!!! This is my daily driver, so i didn't want to lose the ability to drive it on the street daily, and i also wanted to keep it reliable. And of course, i didn't want to buy high priced gas for a daily driver. My next rebuild will be for the blazer, and it will be ALOT stronger engine!! Going to go "all out" with it! I can't wait!!!!

thanks
    baldbandit

11. FARTMAN

FARTMAN 1/2 ton status

i should run with a 5 horse power briggs and stratton! maybe a little more on nitrous.

12. baldbandit

a 5 horse murray is about the only thing that's been passing it since January! LOL!!!!! It's been running circles around it alot lattely!!!!!

baldbandit

13. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are happy with it don't get it dyno'd. Imagination is sometimes better than reality. Cheaper in this case also cuz if it is lower than what you were expecting you will need to tear it down again. LOL

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

14. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Here's some numbers I think you'll like. I had a little difficulty getting the flow numbers for the World heads; they only list flow at .400 and .500 lift. If I had some better numbers, it might be a little more accurate, but this will get you an idea. If you want, I can e-mail you a .pdf file of the full results so that you will have a copy. Just let me know where to send it. (Saw your hotmail address in your profile; just didn't know if you wanted it sent there. I know they sometimes have limits on file transfers.)

Hope you like the results... Gotta love that almost 400 ft-lbs of torque! [​IMG]

community.webshots.com/photo/16047413/17577439CuBgusQRWp
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/16047413/17577536lvfRpiyACM>community.webshots.com/photo/16047413/17577536lvfRpiyACM</a>

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

15. baldbandit

Thanks 502BURBAN! I guessed it pretty close! If you don't mind can you e-mail me that info at baldbandit@hotmail.com! Thanks!

I have a friend here that was wondering if you could do his engine, if you don't mind? If not, here are the specs

400 small block
    3.75 stroke
    5.7 rods
    18cc dished pistons (9.6:1 compression)
    holley 850cfm quadrajet replacement
    performer 2101 manifold
    performer 2103 cam and lifters
    performer350-6075 70cc aluminum heads with 2.02/1.60 valves
    stock exhaust manifolds with flowmasters

if you do dyno it, could you send the results to my e-mail!

thanks again, i'm very pleased with my numbers on paper. Now, if it just satisfies me on the road!

baldbandit

"Have you driven over a F@RD lately!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by baldbandit on 07/17/01 06:23 PM.</FONT></P>

16. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

300hp tops.

Squash
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</a>

17. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

No problemo. Happy to help. [​IMG] I will e-mail the .pdf file to your address. I'll get to your buddy's engine, but probably not until later 2nite. Glad to hear you're happy with the numbers. I've found that they are usually pretty close, if the data that you input is good. I've actually been able to chassis dyno a couple of cars that I dynoed with the software, and once you take the drivetrain loss into consideration (to compare with rear wheel hp) the software comes pretty close to reality. Usually within 10% or so. Of course, rear wheel seat-of-the-pants hp will have a lot to do with gearing and such... [​IMG]

Enjoy,

Robb