Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how many inches? 1986 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86mission, Oct 22, 2002.

1. 86mission

86mission Registered Member

Hello folks!

I got a question...

How many inches would the bumper be from the ground, if I were to get a 6" suspension lift, 2" body lift, and 33" tires?

This is on an 86 Blazer. Apparently VA law says it can't be more than 22" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper.

Is it as simple as adding 6+2+increase in tire size?

Thanks!

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Virginia law allows for 27" front and 28" rear. This is not a question anybody can answer right off hand, the actual amount of lift varies as well as the size of tires. Most 33's only measure 32-32 1/2, There are some true 33's out there though. BTW why on earth would you want 8" of lift for 33's though? Some people can fit 33's stock.

3. 86mission

sorry, i have no clue. my friend out in oregon recommended me to get that much... oh wait, i think he said a 4" suspension lift and 2-3" body lift....

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I was gonna say...8" lift and 33's would look funny! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

4" suspension + 2-3" body will allow you to fit 36" w/ minimal fender trimming.

John

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

4" of lift is a good compliment to 33's. Enough lift where you won't rub yet it doesn't look unproportioned either. Here is a pic of my blazer when it had 4" and 33's.

[​IMG]

7. 86mission

damn, that looks bad ass. i tried harassing you via e-mail, but got a mail relaying denied msg. oh wellz.

i called a local shop, and he told me i need to find out whether or not it is a full size blazer (with leaf springs) or the smaller one (with crappy independent susp). =/

he said the smaller blazer was much more expensive to lift, and that i should just get a different car.

i talked to my buddy in oregon, he said he would rather have the independent suspension, it may cost more, but he said he liked it better (driving-wise), but didn't know if it was a full size or not... he said he was pretty sure it was the smaller one... but he referred to it as a K-5.

I thought a K-5 was the bigger blazer? can someone clarify?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

K5 didn't come in IFS, Only straight axle untill 91.
    The smaller S10 for chevy, or S15 for GMC had the IFS from the beginning..
    After 91 ( I am not sure what year they started or if they stopped at all) the blazer lost the removable top and was in IFS form, untill the name Blazer was dropped and the new Tahoe/Yukon was adopted and offered an option of 4 doors, still IFS.
    Not an expert on the years but I believe the information to be correct. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 86mission

cool... so its either a K5 Blazer, or an S-10 Blazer... damn, 8 more days till I get to see it... (ugh)

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah you would def. be crazy to run 8 inches with 33s...

i used to run 6" and 35s and never had a problem with the cops...and chesterfield county has sticklers in the way of height violations...

4 and 33s is cool...but 6 and 35s is better

Later

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If it was an S-10 blazer then I would imagine you would need 6-8 inches of lift to clear 33's.

Harass away.. I can always ignore /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif JK

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

33s on 15x10s with 4" of backspacing and no lift barely fits on my truck.
    If you've got droop she won't let you put 33s under her. If you've got the chrome stuff around the wheelwells you'll have to trim it. Mudflaps are not an option. You may have to do some beating with a hammer and/or some bending with channel locks. That's what I did. I'll do some trimming on the bottom edges of the front fenders when I have a heated garage I can do some painting in.

I'm planning on 4" of lift just so I have a better approach/departure angle and I don't end up with a wet floor again.

I haven't taken any after pictures but I have some before pictures.

http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/fendertrimming-100902/

[​IMG]

13. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

holy crap i just looked at those pics...how do you steer or go over a bump in the road!!!!!!!

that is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too close

Later

14. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Oh! From the subject I thought this was a personel question!
    Hey Mudfrog, what pic are you going to use when the NV30 G5 1000Mhz DDR2 comes out?

15. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I forgot, a fews years ago in our little group, we met someone at a truck show that moved from the east coast with similar laws. He had a custom Black steel bumper fabricated to fit under his stock bumper. he had a 8" lift and a 3" body lift with 38's.
    Looks like "Echobit" makes a nice Pre-runner bunper that could be modified for that purpose.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

1" body lift, poly bushings added a little too, 1" add a leafs from factory in 87. 32in Wrangler AT/S (measured 32.5" new, big change over old wornout 31's measured 29"). I bumped a little in the front wheel well for the first few thousand miles under hard turns. Ended up bending the front wheel wells out a little never touched the fenders. More than enough room in the rear.
    [​IMG]

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, before I bent and beat and cut and and and on my fenders it rubbed.. bad. The right front rubbed so bad it bent my fender.. while parked. The left rear would have been mangled if I drove it like that.

I've got a solid 3/8" of clearance at the closest spot. If I stomp on the brakes, turn, and hit a large bump she'll rub. When I took it on the trail I didn't have a problem.

Someday I'll post pictures of it finished.

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hey Mudfrog, what pic are you going to use when the NV30 G5 1000Mhz DDR2 comes out?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's gonna be a long time before I fork over the cash for one of those.. The TI 4200 should last me at least another 1 1/2 years. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the greatest addiction on Earth. I only live a few miles from you. I'm in Mclean and work at Fairfax Hospital ER. If you need to see some things or want some advice ... let me know. Good luck with the lift.

Backlash /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. 86mission

thanks for all the responses and help. backlash, i will be sure to bug ya when i recieve the vehicle. =P

P.S. are there any good shops you know of, locally, that can do this type of work?