Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many leafs in 56" swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazd88, Jan 22, 2006.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Not enough to do I guess so while Im adding my rear disks, and changing pinion angle on the spring perches I decided to change up the 56" spring pack a bit. How many leafs do you guys have in yours? The springs in mine are out of my 78 1 ton so they might be a bit different. I currently have it pulled down to a 4 leaf pack with overlaod. Should I toss the overload and add one? Thanks.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine have 5 leaves and no overload. I dont know how they sit as the rear axle will not be in until tomorrow. The overload is there to mainly keep you from reversing the springs which will kill them rather quickly. I might end up putting some on if I dont like how the spring reacts without them. It is about a 50-50 split with who runs overloads and who does not.

Ira

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Wow arent we a lively bunch!;) I know theres a lot more with 56s. thanx sand.

4. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

3 springs and an overload but the overload is coming out and AAL going in as we swap them into a friends truck and out of mine.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, mine were like eight leaf plus overload out of a 1-ton... I think I ended up with five as well, no overload.

-- A

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

5, no overload... though I did cut it down and bolt it to the pack as a zero rate :laugh:

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Well I got mine in last night and with the DIY4x flip with 6" shackle and 5 leaves with no overload the truck sits perfectly level with a 4" front spring with Dana 60. This is with a top and a 37" spare in the back and 1/4 tank of gas.:D And boy are they flexy I have no shocks on and I can get quite a bit of movement just by jumping on the bumper.:D

Ira

8. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Put it back with four leaves and overload then used the long chevy belltech lowering shackle. It sits perfect and with the forklift I can get 39"+ :D underneath a tire. Im loving it. now on to the front.:bow:

9. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

you'll get plenty more under it then that... here is about 60 inches.:D

[​IMG]

10. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

SOrry to kinda high jack a thread, but those of you with 56's that have wheeled it...How is you axle wrap? I got 5 leaves in mine, no overload...front and rear and both of them have severe axle wrap. Awesome flex though.

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have 5 leaves and the overload and the axlewrap is not too bad. I left the overload in to help stop that.

I do have a traction bar sitting in the garage so I plan on pulling the overload when I put that on.

I have and overload on my front 52" spring swap but I'm thinking about pulling it out as I'm trying to lower it down some.

12. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

I figure its got plenty more in it. I was testing it with the front tires flat also. I cant wait!!!:bow: What shocks prt # are you running front and rear if you dont mind me asking? I see the rears are relocated like mine but I havent decided how far in im going to have to move them.

13. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I run the ProComp ES9000's... not sure the part number off hand, but they are the longest they make. I think they were 15 inch travel, but I honestly didn't need that much in the rear since they are inboarded. But I definitely need them up front. I run the same shock at all 4 corners.

as for axle wrap, if you're a gas masher, you better invest in some anti-wrap. I'm pretty conservative. I'll try it slow just enough times to really piss the impatient guys off, then I'll use the throttle. I don't like to break if I don't have to... this hobby is too expensive as it is!