Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many leaves do you have in your 52"s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 22, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm looking at buying a new set of 52s from JC Whitney. I have some stock rear springs, but I don't really know what condition they were in(had add a leaves when I used them), and why not get some new springs? They are cheap. I seem to remember mine are 5 leaves total, but they have 6 and 7 leaves on JC Whitney.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

5 is stock 4x4 pack and 6-7 is optinal packs.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, the packs I started with are 5 plus the overload I believe... I yanked the overload and added a thin leaf to mine. All this info is coming soon in my all-encompassing bellavista-style 52" spring swap writeup...

j

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Mine are from an '85 K5 and are 4 leaf + overload. I don't think removing the overload is a good idea. Kinda like a limiting strap for the springs. It'll help keep the springs from over flexing and bending/breaking. Mine is flexy enough with only 4" of lift, that I'm running into other problems because of all the flex. The CV thing on the t-case end of the front driveshaft is rubbing on the crossmember at full flex. I'm within 1.5" of maxing out a 14" travel shock. Even located 2" forward, my 42's make hard contact with the firewall. I had to trim a bunch of protruding crap off the the firewall with the plasma, and bash the hell out of it with a sledge to gain more clearance. I haven't had a chance to test it yet either, so I don't even know if it's gonna help. Removing the overload to gain even more flex is, IMO, reduntant and pointless. They flex almost too much as it is.
    [​IMG]

And while I'm at it-

[~HIJACK!!~]

Second run out in 2 years...first semi difficult obstical I tried. It died in the middle of the steepest part- the q-jet actually started back up in the middle of it.
    [​IMG]

And another for the hell of it-
    [​IMG]

[/~HIJACK!!~]

:D

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Way off topic here, but...

I'm looking at your left-side spring plate (actually both, now that I looked a little closer), and I see no threads showing from your U-bolt nuts. Did you just cut them off flush?
    FYI (if you even care), the rule in aviation is there must be 2-3 threads showing from a properly-torqued nut, to ensure the entire nut is bearing the tensile load. It's actually an FAA regulation...
    Just thought I'd throw that out there as food for thought. :whistle:

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Good eye...

Those were temporary u-bolts so I could get the axle off the table in my shop and the truck out of it's spot in front of the shop door. Just moved it around the yard like that. New u-bolts on there now. The new ones are double nut'd too. I know better than to permanently run short u-bolts like that...:p:

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hijack, we going there on monday?:D

hijack off

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Ahhh; that's cool. The only reason I thought they might be the real deal was the paint.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I need the pack to be as thin as possible for tie-rod clearance, so no overload for me. I understand that it sorta works as a limiting strap or bump stop... but considering I am going to use REAL limiting straps and bump stops, I don't think I'll miss it. Limiting straps don't create an extra stress point on the spring that could cause weak and/or breakage either. To each their own.

j

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have 5 leaves on my 56s and that's way too few.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my 1/2 ton has 5 leaves in the left and 6 in the right (PO replaced one, right i believe) and my 3/4 ton has 4 (figure that one out :screwy: ). all are not counting the over load