Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many leaves for front 56s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Feb 24, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How many leaves are you guys running with front 56s? I was thinking the main, four more, and no overload. The pack originally started with 8 plus overload.

Which ones do you keep? I was thinking about just getting rid of most of the bottom ones.

Will that be sufficient for a TBI smallblock and a winch? I'd rather start with too many leaves and remove some than not have enough and add some.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

5 leaves is what is in the 1/2 ton light duty 56" spring packs if I remember right. We installed them in a friends K5 in the back. They are VERY soft and VERY flexy. I would start with 6 leaves (main + 5) and no overload. The 56" springs have way more flex then 52's.

Harley

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

heres what i did FIRST, i have sence added one leaf from my old 6" bds pack.

[​IMG]

4. CyberSniper

Alright, I'll start with 6 leaves and no overload then. I'm running a little less weight on the front than average. Motor moved back 2.5", looks like the cab is going back about 5", and the batteries aren't going to be under the hood.

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I have 4, but I might need to install on more will see

6. CyberSniper

I ended up using 5 leaves. 6 just seemed to be too many for something light in the front end. Jumping up and down on them they seem to be stiffer than 4" lift 47" springs.

7. CyberSniper

Well, 5 leaves are way too few. They are about 1.5" lift springs now and that's just with a motor/trans/tcase sitting on it. I think I'm going to try 7 leaves. Either that or buy some 4" lift 56" springs.

As a side note, there is no way in hell a modern tie rod (no split sleeve like the drag link has) will fit under the springs with flat top knuckles.