Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how many lights should i have in my barn

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Dec 28, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i am getting ready to run electric and lights in my barn and was wondering what a goo amount of lights would be, i am using the 2 bulb 4 foot flourescent lights in a 22x32 barn. i got 14 fixtures already just want to know how many more i should get. i was thinking 2 rows of lights but i am not sure. they are 45watt bulbs i think. thanks, chris

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I've got 6 sets of 8ft. flourescent lights in my 24'x32'. It wouldn't hurt to have more.... it get's dark in a few spots when you have a tall viehicle inside.

3. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

formula

Formula Shingles / Sq. Ft.= number of lights. You need to divide the number of shingles on the barn by the square feet and thats how many lights you need.:thinking:

Its not allways how many lights but their position, make sure they are spread out and I would even puit some on a different circuit and have them mounted on the sides pointing to the middle to help out when your down low. I hate when your under the trruck or working on a lower part of the truck and the truck casts a shadow so you cant see, or if your rolling in and out on your creeper everytime you roll out you are looking straight up into the lights. My buddy has the roof lights on 2 circuits so you can have them full power when you need them or half power for when you looking up most of the time. He also has a set along the wall about 10' up that bring light in from the sides these are also on a seperate circuit. Hit them all it fills the room evenly with light. but for those times your working under the truck cut off one set or all the roof lights and just use the wall lights. It works great. I dont think you could ever have to much light. hope this helps.

ps I made up the formula above I wouldn't try it.

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I thought about side lights but i got 2 sets of the dual 500 watt halagen drywall lights i could for sides.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You can always pre-wire for extra lights even if you don't buy them now. Maybe run alternate curcuits so one switch does every other light and leave the one row empty for now.
    Man, I only wish I had power in my barn :frown1: .

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Personally, if I were wiring a shop for lights, I'd wire in normal flourecents in the rafters, an six halogen flood lights where the wall and cieling meet, four along the sidewalls eight feet from the corners, and two, one in the center of the rear wall and one in the center of the front wall. Super floodomatic when you need it. Have them be able to tilt too.

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

never thought about the flood lights. good idea.

8. Resurrection_Joe

I love my 500 watt halogens that you can place anywhere and my dual stand lamp version, btu I run into and step on them, and 500 watt halogen near gas lines is iffy at best

9. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i just had a thought, whenever i pour my floor in there i could build boxes with lexan covers and burry couple 500 watt lights for when i am working under the vehicle, then in the winter time. i would have heat!!!

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Those 500 watt halogens would melt the lexan covers in a jiffy. If your serious about lights in the floor, look into landscape lighting, the kind that they put undr trees to light them up from below. They make some that are made to be poured in concrete, and you can drive right on top of the lenses with no damage. I'm guessing that they would cost a few hundred dollars or more per fixture, though. on a positive not, they put out a decent amount of heat, so that might warm you up a bit while you're lying on that cold concrete floor.

FWIW, I think 20 Watts per square foot with the fixtures being 8-10 feet from the floor is a good guideline. You'll want more wattage per square foot if you use incandescent, but for flourescents, that's just about right. Also, try to get fixtures that take 32 Watt T8 lamps rather than the 40 Watt T12 lamps. The T8's are more efficient. Good reflectors are also a must, as well as fixtures that space the lamps apart about 4-6 inches. The Home Cheapo strip flourescents that take two T12 lamps that are RIGHT next to each other, suck. But, they are cheap. A decent 4' two-lamp flourescent fixture with a good reflector will cost you 3-4 times as much. If you go with the home cheapo's, PM me and I'll send you some SUPER reflective reflectors for free, just pay for the ride. I sent some to jlaughner, I don't know how much they helped, but they cost like $25 to ship ten of them.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

shoot...we only have 2 100 watt bulbs on the one wall up by the ceiling in our 4 car garage...:mad: dad says we dont need anything more. We have 2 of those stands that hold 2 flood lights...funny how those bulbs keep burning up...yet the shop doesnt need more light:crazy:

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That almost sounds like the lead in to a Pollack joke. EX:

Q: How many lights should I have in my barn

Ok, now someone else add in the punchline - where is Joe when you need him?

13. Resurrection_Joe

A: Enough to scare away the mice so they don't nest in that project you're "eventually going to get around to thinking about working on"

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

PUNCHLINE; dUNNO, HOW MANY KIDS YU GOT TO HOLDEM?