Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many miles before first oil change/Duramax

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Burt4x4, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am searching for opinions on how many miles a new Dmax should go before the first oil change?
    The dealer told me 5K, I think that is a bit much...
    Thanks
    Burt

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my dodge said 7k miles for highway driving, as well as my sonoma, and vibe....
    i STILL change the oil at 3k miles. my folks just had it done, my dodge has 6,050 miles on it now. it will be 1 year old in a month. second oil change since i have owned it. i dont know if any of this helps... but i hope it does.
    Grant

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Everyone can give you opinion, but it all boils down to what you feel comfortable with.

My Cummins is suppose to be able to go 15k light use or 7.5k heavey use, between oil changes. I can not stand the thought of letting it go that long. I try to get my done around the 4K mark. It costs me about $30.00 to change the oil, $18.00 for 3 gallons of Mobile Delvac and $12.00+ for the FleetGuard Stratapore filter.

I would think 5K would be a good rule of thumb. I would say never let it go longer then the manual says to just for warranty reasons.

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Grant - 6,050 and it is only a year old, I wish......Mine will be a year at the end of March, and I already have 21k on the ticker........Oh well, I bought the truck to use, not to sit in the garage and look pretty.......Did you get the new 600 or the old HO?

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Most oils that come with a NEW car have some additive that help with the breaking. I would the first one when it is in the OM and the all others when you feel it needs it.

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got my Duramax about the sametime as you Burt and my dealer wants me to bring my truck in to them for the first oil change at 3,000 to 3,500 miles. They went as far as giving me the first oil change free from them. My problem is that the dealer I bought from is 3 hrs away. I will probably try to get it over to them for this 1 time just to keep them happy.

They also told me to change the fuel filter every 7,500 to 10,000 miles. This dealer is one of te larger dealers in the Colorado area and has seen many bad injectors and all of the related problems with the Lb7 motors. I think that is why they were big on seeing the truck for the first oil change.

After the first oil change I am going to change the oil at around 6,000 miles. I don't like these new extended service intervals like most of the rest of you guys. 5,000 miles is a very well accepted oil change interval on Diesel motors. I figure that I always changed the oil in my other truck at 3,000 to 3,500 miles and it took 6 quarts (Gas motor). With the diesel taking 10 quarts I will probably be spending about the same money on oil changes as before and not hurt the motor any since I have heard rumors that the truck computer won't say to change the oil till well after 8,000 miles, and sometimes up to 10,000 miles. Kinda split the differance between what I belive in and what the truck thinks.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replys fellas.

Damn Miniwally, your dealership sounds alot better than mine I used. The dealer ship I used is about 30min away from me so I can understand what you mean about making time to get out that way just to get the fluids changed. I plan on doing it myself this weekend, just the engine oil. The thing that worries me a bit is when I asked the dealership about thier diesel mechanics they had working in thier shop they said, We just hired our first two.:confused: Doesn't sound very good, but then again I have no idea of thier background or if they are total rookies???
    The main reason I do all the work on my K5 is cuz I know it was done with care and knowledge...
    Anyway Thanks for the reply
    Burt

8. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I have a Dmax and my dealer said for the first change, do it around 3,000 to 4,000 miles. Then about every 7,500 to 15,000 depending on how you use it. Now on my truck it has a sensor that will tell me when I need to change my oil and my dealer and others around here that I have asked said that this sensor knows when the oil has broken down enough to need a change and to use it. I now have about 51,000 and change it on ave about every 10,000 miles.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

04.5 600 with the 6 shooter. 2wd, leather, loaded...

i put 5800 of those miles on it the first 2 months i owned it. had 349 on the odometer when i picked it up. you dont put any miles on a ride when it sits at your folks house as you are in the sand box. there is a post in the towing forum with a picture of it and my new trailerbehind it.

i love the truck. kicks butt!! have you had any issues with yours?
    Grant

10. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hustler, my understanding of GMs' oil change indicator is that the computer basically computes how hard the engine works and gives a change interval. There is not really a sensor that reads how "dirty" the oil is, its just a computer program that calculates how dirty it should be.

Hard towing takes more throttle and therfore you change the oil more often.

My wife has a 03 6.0L and I did the first couple of oil changes on it. She is one of those types that if the dealer said it that is the way it will be done. That being said I did the first oil change at like 7,500 miles, when the change oil light came on, and the oil was the worst that I had seen out of a new engine. But the dealer said that was when we should change the oil. I did the second, third and fourth oil changes when i felt they should be done, 3,000 to 3,500 miles. The oil was starting to look better after every oil change and I was happy. I quit doing the service on the truck, it's a company truck and it turned into more of a hassle than it was worth to me to change the oil.

She now takes it to the dealer when the truck tells her to change the oil. I checked the oil the other day before I drove the truck to go pick up a horse for her and was very unhappy with how dirty the oil was on the dip stick. I belive she has several thousand miles left to the next oil change light. I don't think that is a great thing for an engine with 40,000 miles on it.

That being said maybe the truck will run for hundreds of thousands of miles, I will never know because it will be traded in before that time. I don't feel that the truck will make much more than a hundred thousand miles before it starts to go down, the oil just looks to bad to me.

By the way, the filters on these trucks is little tiny compared to a 350 or 454. The diesel oil filter looks to be a 1 quart job. I know the 7.3 fords have a two quart filter on them. I feel that size does matter.

I don't mean for this to sound like a lecture or come off as a know it all, but I had to ask all of the right questions of the dealer. I also had to read the owners manuals very carefully to get the "truth" about how the computer knows when the oil is needing to be changed. The dealer made it sound exactly like you stated that there is an "oil contamination" sensor. My understanding is that there is an oil life program that takes input from several sources and computes the interval.

Take the above for what it's worth, some random person on the net with their opinion.:cool1:

11. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Well, everytime I have changed my oil, it never really looked that bad. I do check the oil level every time I get fuel. Never burn any oil and still looks somewhat clear when I change it. If it does start to look very dirty, then I to would change it earlier.

12. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I forgot you are stuck in the sandbox.

I have not had any issues with it so far. The best thing I did so was replace the stock air filter with the FleetGuard filter I got from InterMountain Cummins. I have not taken a look at the oil lately, but the Stratapore filter is suppose to keep a lot of the carbon out of the oil that makes it look black even after you change it.

I have put the tranny temp gauge in and have plans for the EGT, boost, and fule pressure in the spring. Other than that I plan on leaving the drivetrain in stock form. It already has more power than I will ever need.....

13. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Just jumpin in here and didn't get to read all the responses.
    I had a new motor installed in my '00 recently. First oil change at 1K and around 3K from there on out. The 6.5 doesn't have really good ring seal and soot contaminates the oil fairly soon. I personally don't care to run break-in oil over 1K, just my personal preference. No telling how clean they were during assembly.

For regular driving the 3K schedule is just too soon anymore, IMO. Plus I have sent in oil samples that back that up. I work with a fella that has an '93 dodge/cummins with 130K plus on it. He goes 10K on oil changes. No synthetic just 15w-40 long life penzoil. At 7500 miles every other oil change he pulls a sample and has it tested, it is good to go till 10K an possibly more but he sticks at 10 for an even number.

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you guys are worried the oil being too dirty at 3k miles you should take a sample and get it analyzed and see how dirty it is before you change it. I know diesel oil gets really really dirty looking really quick, as I worked on duramax's as an apprentice for a year and half (i've done many many LB7 injectors) before I got moved to another department at the dealer I work at. I would venture to say that 5k is a safe distance to go on oil changes, remember, these new engines are a lot better designed, and much cleaner burning that their old diesel counterparts, and just because the oil is dirty looking it doesnt mean it has to be changed.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't change the oil in a diesel engine under 6-7K. For one if the manufacturer of the engine says it can go 11K between changes than I'm sure it can. I for one won't change mine in my cummins until I get about 7K on the oil. To be changing the 15 quarts or whatever it is every 3K would cost way too much on an engine that lasts 500,000 miles. When I go synthetic I won't change it but about every 15-20K. We change the oil in our 18 wheeler trucks about every 15-20K when the oil is completely black and "used" up. Truck engines see very hard use too. Some people change their HD rigs at 10K before the oil is burned and black but we still get a million miles between overhauls like them and they spend twice as much on oil during that engine's life. 10 gallons of oil at a time is not cheap.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I was about to comment on the 15 quarts of oil that the CTD takes. Along with the $10 oil filter and disposal fee, $38 oil changes add up if you do them too frequently. A $20 oil analysis is pretty cost effective if you learn that your oil is good to go for XXXX miles over you current interval. It is all about personal prefrence but I like to save money everywhere I can so I hope my methods keep my engine running for another couple hundred thousand.

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This is why I preached about the benefits of regular oil sampling for quite some time. But I've stopped due to an apparent lack of interest (judging by the "Oh, that's too expensive!" and "Ahhh, just change it every 3k!" responses I got).
    The ONLY way to ensure you're getting the maximum use out of your oil is to sample it regularly. As some of you have found out, a $50+ oil change every 3k gets to be a little much... $20 to find out you can go to 8-10k before a change is money well spent. Plus, you get the security of a "window" into the heart of your engine. For example, if your sample results start coming back with high copper readings, you're probably starting to lose a bearing. BUT, you're finding out about it long before the knocking or screaming starts, saving you more money. I could go on, if anyone's interested...
    :thinking:

18. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Were you ever going to share this information with the rest of us?

19. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Go on preaching!