Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many miles did you get from your 10 bolt rear before it grenaded??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ken, Nov 29, 2000.

1. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

OK, in the same vein as the 700 thread, how many miles did you get from your 10 bolt before it grenaded??? Remember, its not "IF" it will grenade, it's "WHEN" it will grenade!! I'll start out...not having ever ran a 10 bolt for long before replacing with a FF14, I can only relate my nephew's experience in his '94 1/2 ton truck which blew the 10 bolt sky high after only 60,000 miles. He was driving on the street when it happen, and never took the thing off road. Oh yeah, and it had 33" tires all along. So, what's your experience???

ken

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine has 134K on it and its still runnin' strong. Its had 33s on it since 112K, and 32s for at least 40K before that. Something must have been really wrong with it, because usually they should be all right with 33s. If it was never off-road, then something had to be seriously wrong with it IMHO.

90K5

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i bought my blazer with what i thought was high mileage,,,turned out to be really high mileage!!!!! it had almost 240,000 miles on it!!WOW....started wheelin' it kinda hard and blew out the front at 260,000,,,welded the gears together and detonated the whole thing,carrier and all at around 265,000(suprised my weld held up that long)

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Both front and back on my 84 are corp 10s- 140,000 miles and running strong with 31s since the day she rolled off the factory floor. I don't do any hardcore offroading, but she's been driven pretty hard her entire life, including some towing.......

My 6.2 has a 10-bolt as well, and I tow with it all the time......

Ken, don't take this the wrong way, BUT.......It seems that you have a lot of problems with your trucks. I can honestly say that you're the first person I've ever heard of that has gone through SIX trannies. And now you're accusing 10-bolts of being outright garbage. Everybody on this board knows that corp 10s aren't the strongest diff available, but I'm sure most of our trucks are so equipped, and I'll bet that most of those vehicles still have the factory 10-bolts.

I guess what I'm getting at is: What answers are you looking for? You've been slamming 700r4s since you got here, yet the last post about their longevity and durability garnered positive response after positive response. So are they really that bad overall?

Maybe your nephew beat the CRAP out of his truck and blew the rearend. Or maybe he had a leak at the gasket and didn't notice it until it finally seized up......

One guy's gear is going to die way before another guy's- but how differently were the two units maintained and treated?

5. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

Mine is still going strong at 180,000 miles. Knock on wood:) I have the 1 ton gear on stand by, just in case though!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The one in the back of my '87 croaked before 100K. The hard facing material started to crumble off of the spider gears, which contaminated the bearings. They started making some pretty strange noises! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The first time I had a problem was at around 137,000 - a few months after the new motor was put in, a few extra ponies put it down I guess. Not knowing any better at the time and not knowing that I was going to start wheeling it, I had it regeared and and ARB installed, that lasted almost 25,000 miles untill I blew out the spider gears and the ARB then it was one ton time. I think if I just drove it on the street it would have been fine, but climbing 5ft rock ledges with 36" tires in a 6,000# tank on wheels might be a tad to much for them. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

8. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

201,000 on the original 10 bolt. Pinion bearing's a little loose now. If I can find a 6 lug 14 bolt I'm gonna swap that in.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

my buddy just grenaded his in his '98 K1500, fully stock truck. a little over 40K.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Blew the first 10 bolt at 50,000 miles. This grenaded the ring and pinion and the gov lock. At 65,000 miles I lost the c clip and luckly wasn't going fast. Both times was in stock form with a stock 350 TBI and 31" tires. Also kept breaking the 10 bolt studs for some reason.

My father owned a stock 86 Chevy and with 80k miles, we were slowly pulling out of the driveway and it lost the c clip.

Seen and heard many other 10 bolts break but I'm not sure of the milage. Most cases, 35" or larger tires was used.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

11. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

158,000 miles of neglect and abuse, and nary a noise.
    i hope i didn't just throw a jinx on myself, but i gotta stand up for the corporation.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

180,000 miles. Lost most of the teeth off the pinion and cleaned quit a few off of the ring. Happened when I pulled away from a stoplight with a STOCK TBI 350 and 31" tires. Ken's right, it's not a matter of if, it's when. Mine's gone. The pinion is a paperweight in my office now.

Kyle
    89K5

13. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

My '84 has factory 10 bolts on the front and rear with 165,000 miles. I wheel the hell out of it too, and it seems to be holding up strong.

BTW: I'm running 31" tires on stock suspension.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

14. 65FL

65FL Registered Member

~180,000 on 31" tires and counting. Mostly street, only light wheeling.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

80-90k before it blew. THen again , it was towing a 7500 LB trailer all the time. My K5 is now at 115k. I just changed the gear oil a few weeks ago, everthing looks in good shape, and no chunks. Im hoping that synthetic will somehow make a difference in the life of the gears. :)

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I bought my Blazer with 115K on it and put about 30K witht he factory Gov-Lok rear 10bolt. About 25K of the 30K I put on it t had 35" tires and was wheeled 4-5 times a week. Plus I had a healthy small block in it that whole time and I had no problems with the 10 bolt.

One question I have for you Ken on your (6) 700r4's that you blew. Were these swapped into none computer controlled vehicles(vehicles that didn't start out with 700's). If these trannies were swapped into vehicles that were not equipped with 700's originally, then did you install a controller for the Lock-up converter?

I was just wondering, I am not trying to start [censored].

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

17. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

Got 118k out of the factory 10 bolt. Gov Lock failed. Since the k5 was my daily driver at the time, I fixed the 10 bolt, it only lasted 4k. Broke an axle backing out of the driveway and bent the housing. After that it was 14 bolt time.

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com

18. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

OK OK, lets see, to answer all the Qs for me...the 6 700R4s were in the same vehicle, 1990 Chev Sub 4x4. I guess to be fair, the original lasted 119K, then I've had 5 since then (224K now), all rebuilt by a reputible shop, who warrantied them a couple times. Its no fun though to have a vehicle down for weeks while trying to get the tranny fixed, therefore its getting a TH400...that should be the last tranny this Sub ever sees.

As for my affliction for heavy duty parts on my rigs, I HATE breaking out in the boonies, or while on trips, so after 23 years of wheelin, I just go overboard on all my components and max them out, so as not to ever have to worry about crap. I guess my testosterone level belongs at the Pirate site...where anything less than Dana 60s, and granny low trannies are laughed at. I will try to moderate my comments for those still having great successes with their 700s and 10 bolt Camaro rears. (Just know, for the last time, I HATE 700s!!!!).

ken

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I bought my '90 with around 45K on the odometer and it had 32" tires at the time. Didn't wheel it very much at first but ran it pretty hard on the street. At about 80,000 miles it was stolen and stripped, but they obviously had fun with it before stripping it because it was completely covered with mud when the police found it. A week after I got it back from the body shop the Gov-Lok blew chunks.......when the rear cover was pulled off it was full of mud and water which was obviously from when it was stolen since I had never had it in deep mud or any type of water beside puddles before. I'm pretty convinced the failure was strictly due to the theives and abuse the poor thing went through during that time (the truck didn't resurface until almost 2 weeks after it was stolen). The insurance agreed and they paid to have it rebuilt under the original theft claim.
    Would the factory Gov-Lok have exploded if it hadn't been stolen.......probably at some time because of the way I drove it.
    At that time I ALMOST ordered a custom Dana 60 from Dynatrac since the insurance was paying for what it would cost to have a GM dealer rebuild the axle with all GM parts (almost $2000!!). The only reason I didn't because it would have taken at least 4-6 weeks to have it built and shipped, and the Blazer was my daily driver at the time and I needed it fixed.
    Anyway, I had it completely rebuilt with a Detroit Tru-Trac, 4.10 gears, and aftermarket axle shafts. It ran 33's and now 35's and has evolved into a strictly weekend trail toy which gets wheeled hard about once per month, and now has over 100,000 on the odometer with no problems. I have broken a couple of body mounts and two front axle u-joints in the last year, just to give you an idea of how it gets used.

I have always stood up for the 10-bolts, but only up to a certain level. If you want to run big horsepower, big tires, or beat the crap out of the truck, don't bother with the 10........which is why I'm currently shopping for some 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles to handle some bigger tires and rough use.

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

First, I'm not trying to get on anybody's case or point out anyone in particular......
    Concerning Ken's post, everybody has a right to their own opinion....as long as they include all of the facts (oh man, I'm starting to sound like that Executioner guy!). I'm sure people get frustrated when they have repeated bad luck with a particular bad part, but they still need to be open minded.

I would begin to wonder about the tranny shop whose rebuilt transmissions only last 20,000 miles when the original lasted almost 6 times as long. I would also have a hard time blaming the transmission under these circumstances. In part, that was the exact reason I posted the 700r4 question. I had seen numerous posts from several different people bashing these transmissions under these same circumstances.