Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many miles did you get on the TH700r4??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2Blazer, Nov 28, 2000.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Okay, there's alot of people on this board who love to trash the TH700r4 transmission when anybody asks about it. I'm not trying to start an argument......but I am curious as to why some people think these are horrible transmissions.
    So the questions are:

1. How many miles do you have / did you get out of the original 700r4 in your vehicle?

2. If you have had one rebuilt or replaced, how many miles does it have on it/ how many miles did it last?

3. Where did you get the replacement trans / who rebuilt it?

4. What type of vehicle (modifications, etc..) and how is it used/driven?

5. If you have a different type of automatic (th350, th400, etc...) how many miles did they last?

Here's the reasoning for the questions.............I've seen at least several people on this board say that the original 700r4 lasted over 100,000 miles but the replacement or rebuilt trans were only lasting 20-30,000 miles and therefore the 700r4 must be junk. I just doesn't make sense to me to simply blame the transmission design and that's why I'm curious to see how long the original trans lasted as compared to rebuilt ones.

I have personally seen numerous 700r4's from a wide range of years and applications that all lasted well over 100,000 miles but I have never experienced having one rebuilt. I have also seen many th350 equipped trucks that required rebuilds at less than 100,000 miles.

I have also talked to several mechanics involved with transmission shops and they stated there are several critical steps that need to be addressed when replacing any automatic transmission. One is that the all the lines and cooler must be thoroughly flushed to prevent contaminants from the previous tranny from quickly ruining a new one. The next is that the the adjustment of the T.V. cable is critical to ensure proper shifting and to keep the trans from burning itself up. Finally, it is common for the lockup torque converter to fail (as in stop locking up correctly) especially after a tranny fails. If the converter does not lock up properly it can also quickly burn up a new tranny and therefore they all recommended installing a new converter anytime the tranny is replaced. The converter can also be contaminated from the failed trans and is very difficult to completely clean out.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have 174,500 miles on my original 700R4/NP241 and she's still kicking.
    One thing to note, mine is in my 1990, the last year the 700R4 was made before they renamed it to the 4L60, my guess is that they got all the bugs out for 1990 and then renamed it to get rid of the negative conotation (spelling). I keep wanting to upgrade the tranny and tcase but they will not die. [​IMG]
    As far as how it is driven, it has turen 35" tires for the last 6 years and now 36" tires for the last 9 months and it gets some abuse.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine was rebuilt at 91K and it still seems to be fine. It was rebuilt at A-1 tranny in Ft. Worth. It has 134K and its still doing great. Mostly city driving, maybe 100 mi of highway a month, and mud maybe once a month or less. Its a 350 with a few mods, but not too many, I'm guessing the HP is around 250-270 and the torque around 350. 33" tires and 3.42s.

90K5

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Original 700R4 in an 87 fullsize Jimmy (350/208 t-case). I bought the vehicle from my uncle who owned a radio antenna installation company. It was a company work vehicle.

1.When I got the vehicle it had over 120,000 miles on the original tranny. It went out at 166,000.

2 & 3. I had the tranny rebuild at aamco. I wouldn't recommend aamco to anyone. It shifts horribly now and slips in second gear a little (sometimes). I've put about 7000 miles on it since I got it rebuilt.

4. It is a daily driver (35's, 350, 4.56 gears, 205 t-case). I put a shift kit in when it was rebuilt. I like the overdrive and higher first gear ratio.

If/when it goes out I will still get a 700r4. Probably from the guys at 700r4.com or somewhere else (jet maybe). I also believe that it is HOW these are rebuilt, not that they are all junk after they are rebuilt. If I had my choice I would get a 4L80E, but it's a little to much for me right now.

Also, my first truck, which is still in the family, was a 1990 2wd chevy with a 350/700R4 combo. It still has the original motor and tranny and over 160,000 miles with no problems or rebuilds. And, my father-in-law has a 1990 4wd chevy with the same setup and over 200,000 miles with no problems. And he's a bricklayer, so it's alot of miles with the bed loaded down for day's at a time.

BIGJ

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My '90 Jimmy has 138,000 original miles. NP241, 350, 3.73 gears, 4,500 mi since adding 33x12.5x15 M/T's. Daily driver, mostly city driving, off-road at every opportunity and occasional mud. It does have a factory trans cooler. I have had this trans checked out by an independent builder who has a very good reputation, and he said it was still a strong transmission.

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I think the THM 700R-4 is a good trans. As for the rebiuld, depends on who was doing it. Was he smoking a cigar while he was rebiulding it? I've burned them up, broken them in half, but I never blamed GM.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My original 700 has 268k miles on it(knock on wood[​IMG]). I do minimum towing with it, but I drive/wheel it real hard. My 84 has the stock drivetrain and 31's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

8. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Over 300,000 miles with just regular fluid changes and rear seal replacements!!!

3nails/4wheels
    White Knight

9. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

1. I had 115,750 miles on my original 700R4.
    2. Rebuilt Last week 25 miles on it. (upgraded parts)
    3. Rebuilt last week by Jeff Cote Machine Shop (Maine), he was a referal from a friend, not advertised. When I walked into his country shop I was very impressed.
    4, Stock 88 K5. All original, Good Year 31X10.5 tires. I did remove the running boards...

I'm very happy with the rebuilt 700R4.

http://www.tjcommons.com/88K5/

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I have a stock set up. Original went 180,000 miles and would still (I believe) be running strong had I not driven too much in the softsand in September. Usually, I let out some air, but didn't on the last trip to Carolina. Smoked it!

Wanted a Bowtie Overdrive (highly recommended here), but couldn't work out logistics. Took it in 2 weeks ago to a guy who tried to replicate a Bowtie ... bad mistake. Had to take it back 4 times to get it right. Went with this guy cause he has a K-5 himself. He said he wanted to make it right and I think it's OK now. Just picked it up ...when traffic dies down, I'm headed out. Problem was, would lockup in 3rd and would not kick out when trying to accelerate. Tried various shift kits and adjustments to get it right.

My fault, I wanted a corvette servo and stall converter ... think if I had not added those 2 items, I'd have been OK from the start.

Headed to Carolina again this weekend to try it out. Will definitely lower the tire pressure!

Striped Bass are running baitfish up on the beach. WOOHOO!

11. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

115,000 miles. Changed engine to 383 3 weeks ago went to MOAB Utah & towed it home from Grand Junction. Didn't even get 1,000 miles w/new engine. Trans was fine b/4 the swap. I will replace my 700r4 w/another but add the 203/205 doubler kit from ORD next week. BTW has anyone done this??

12. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

My buddies dad got over 200,000 out of his with a deisel. He drove to Alaska from Calif. a few times and drove like an old lady.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

1. 156,000/16yrs

2. Going into shop this friday. I have a th400 and mated 203 in garage, but love my 700 and have plans to mate 203 to my 700

3. Suchy's in Okc will rebuild my 700. They rebuilt th350 back in 93 and it has outlasted 3 vehicles. I was quoted $900. That includes picking up my truck in the driveway and total install. But when I told him what I wanted and what it will be used for the quote went up to $1150+. That's a new trans cooler, new lines, new electric fan, temp gauge,plugged pan, and lots more. Will post original bill of receipt when complete and more detailed rebuild.(the owner is in a offroad club and has 2 toys which helped my decision)

4.84'K5... 4"lift, 36"tires,(33"tires for almost 11yrs) 10 & 12bolt axles w/3.08. I drive like a bat outta hell. (heavy foot) Go extreme when offroading, which is at least twice a month. Not to mention when I see something thats dying to get ranover I run it over.

5. My brother went thru 3 th400's before my 700 ate the dirt.

I'm stick'n with my 700.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Moneypit...
    I'm going to run a doubler behind mine here's what offroad design emailed me.
    Subj: Doubler
    Date: 11/13/00 11:24:57 AM Central Standard Time
    From: tech@offroaddesign.com (Offroad Design Tech Support)
    To: REDMYK@AOL.COM

The 700 only requires a new output shaft to be able to bolt up to the 350 version NP203. The shaft gives it the same spline and stickout, and the 700 case already has the correct bolt pattern on it. The shaft is about $155. We do sell them.
    I think you would want to use our new GEN2 Doubler, it ends up a few inches shorter than the 208. Overall, the GEN2 is 22.5" from the back of the trans. This is the same length as a complete 203, and only 6" longer than the 205 by itself. I think your 208 is about 26" (varies due to the slip yoke). You should have a very easy to work with driveshaft. At least for a blazer!
    We've thought about pre-fabbing the crossmembers, but there are enough variations in the trucks that at this point we prefer to let you do it. it's not difficult fabrication, and the truck can be driven with a single crossmember under the 205, so we don't worry about it much.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks
    SW
    Stephen Watson
    tech@offroaddesign.com
    314 C.R. 110 #2
    Glenwood Springs CO 81601
    970-945-7777
    Fax -8389

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

160,000 kms (100,000 miles) on my 83 6.2/700r4 half ton. It's used mostly for highway and towing purposes. I run a good tranny cooler and change the fluid and filter once a year. This truck has towed my trailer all over the Canadian Rockies for thousands of miles every summer, and hasn't had one problem.

The 700r4(w/305)in my Blazer went out at 100,000 miles. I had owned the truck for just over a year, was in my teens, didn't know dick about maintenance, didn't have a tranny cooler, and drove in OD everyday, everywhere. Basically, I did EVERYTHING I could to help the tranny die, and it did. I got the shop who does our company tranny work to do my rebuild, and the rebuilt unit has gone without a single problem for the last 45,000 miles.

There's nothing wrong with the 700r4, as long as you keep it clean and cool, and save OD for the highway. Don't ever tow in OD either.

16. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I have three 700 stories....

1. One of my sisters was given an s-10 4x4 with a 4.3 by a friend, It had 175,000 on it, the tranny blew up at 175,010. So my old man spent $1700 on a rebuild (Giant transmissions). After 35,000 miles it works perfectly, she abuses her truck immensely, She's driven through every beach, forest, sand dune, State park, and snow mound for a 40 mile radius. So thats a thumbs up I'd say.

2. My other sister has an 87 IROC, It had a 427 small block, all aluminum bowtie juice motor. She purchased the car without the motor, but with a "bullet proof" 700 with a non-lockup conv. that was in the car with the mouse. I, (being the big brother), put an LT1 motor in it. She beats the hell out of this thing, (and I do when she's away at school), The trans is excellent. really excellent, but it's built with all after market parts and whatever they do to make it stronger....another thumbs up

3. my diesel jimmy has the 700, I had a "friends" shop do the rebuild, it blew up. They built it again, it blew up. I threatened them.....it works fine now. The diesel blew up. I put in an LT1, No problems 3 thumbs up all together.

heres my take on the whole 700 question. If its built right it will last, If its built right it will cost. A 4L80 will always be stronger than a 4L60 (700). So what do you want overdrive or strength. If you want the best of both its the 4L80. If strength is most important and you want to save a few bucks, go with a 400 they really are bullet proof. The 700 should be fine for most of our trucks except if your running a big block or some serious tire size or horsepower...PS I would use a tranny cooler always, 90% of all transmissiom failure is due to overheating...............js

17. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Aproaching 170,000, though I think it's on it's last legs. I plan on putting a Bow Tie Overdrive 700r4 http://www.700r4.com/ when I get the scratch, or when mine blows up, whichever comes first.

<font color=red>Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.</font color=red>

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a 1987 K5 with the 350/700R4 combo. I managed to beat it enough that the hard facing material started to crumble from the spider gears in the rear diff at around 100K miles. However, the 700R4 was still going strong when I traded it at 125K miles. The front pump always had a slight whine, but I figured I'd just run it until it died. It never did. [​IMG]

My '91 S-Jimmy has 121K on the clock and the 700R4 still has the factory orignal fluid in it. It's been 4-wheeled all over Colorado and is still going strong.

The wife's '94 Suburban has 91K on the clock. I think it has the electronic version of the 700R4, the 4L60E. It too still shifts fine.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

19. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

mine has 140k on it and when i changed the fluid a couple of weeks ago i found black crums in the bottom of the pan. It shifts real hard betwen 1st and 2nd and is leaking fluid from the front seal and rear seal. I was stuck in some deep mud over the summer and got it over 8k rpm's in low 1 and it is not long for this world..

20. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

153,000 on my 87 blazer. 700r4 trans still going strong, have aftermarket cooler.