Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many miles is to many?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dznutz70, May 18, 2001.

1. Dznutz70

Dznutz70 Registered Member

I am thinking about buying a 89 K5 the thing that is slowing me down is it has 160,000 miles. The guy still has a warranty on the trans, the rearend was just redone, and it has new tires. The guy is the second owner and the first was a GM mechanic. I am a High school student and do all my own wrenching, but I don't want to buy something for $5,200 only to lose a lot of money in it.

2. Dznutz70

I also forgot to mention that it needs paint and the roof is a peeler.

3. HuskerBlazer

HuskerBlazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think I'd be extremely worried about it. I would try to talk him down on price a little. Hell if you got a warranty on the trans and a new rearend, you've got "new" pieces on half of the driveline. Just check the engine and transfer case completely (i.e. take it to a mechanic before hand). the 350 seems to lose power after a lot of miles, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to crap out on you. I bought mine with 130,000 and had the same reservations. So far only little crap has needed to be replaced (U-joints, power window motor, etc.). As far as paint, well...that's a early 90's GM problem. Getting it fixed won't be cheap. But if it's on the top, I wouldn't worry about it...just use it to bring the price down.

In the end it's all your decision though. Good luck

K-5...Soccer moms inquire within.

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Tough question! There can be so many things that could be wrong! But it is an old truck. One thing is for sure ... with this board and the guys here, you can save tons of money by working on it yourself.

Does it still have the original motor? You need be start factoring that expense in. How bad is the rust? etc. If you are looking for something to restore and keep a while and are handy .. I'd say go for it! It'll be aggrevating/frustrating at times, but so rewarding to get that thing where you want it!
    Good Luck

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

5200 is too much for a truck in that condition in my opinion. I'd pay 4 tops I think (without seeing it). Most warrenties don't transfer over to a new owner. When was the motor rebuilt? Or has it? Does it smoke at all? I'd do a compression check on the motor if you were seriously concidering it. It all depends on how it was taken care of. You can have a motor with that many miles on it that still is real healthy and will last a while after that, then some motors can crap out at 100,000 cause they weren't taken care of. My experiance with mechanics (no offence to anyone) is that some don't take good care of their own vehicals because they've been wrenching all day and just don't want to mess with it. I'd go over that truck with a fine tooth comb. If he's a GM Mechanic, he'd prolly do compression check for you (I'd be there watching and looking at the dial). I'm not being paranoid, I'm just giving you my experiance. I bought a truck with that many miles and it lasted a long time after that ( I checked the compression on it before I bought it). Hope this helps! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

1st - fill out your profile

$5200 seems a bit much to me. I gave about that much for my 87 with 160K on it. The tranny and axles had been rebuilt, most all of the boday panels had been replaced and it was repainted within the last 2 years. Interior needed nothing. And I got every receipt for mechanical work done on it since new.
    How much rust? Is everything thing else solid? If its good mechanically and the body is solid but only needs paint, then maybe $4000 - $4300.

Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I bought my 89 Jimmy about 3months ago. It had 148,000 on it and I only gave $3,500 for it. Click on the link to see a pic.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Make sure it has next to no rust (especially under the carpet in the bed) for that price with that mileage. I bought my first K5 with 175,000 on it for $500 <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com/carrier.htm>http://k5.8m.com/carrier.htm</A>. It had the same thing, new tranny, new rear, even 5year paint warranty. But it had holes in the floor, the tailgate was hangin on by a thread, etc. etc., all real well hidden so it could be sold (luckily, I brought another K5-er with me to find what I didn't know then, which helped me haggle down from $2000). So, a new tranny and rear might be meaningless if the body is about to fall off, etc... Man, $5200 is a nice chunk of change... But who knows, I drove my Camaro to 300,000+ with 200k on the motor. It all depends on how you treat her...
    P.S. Old A-tech buddy told me never to buy a mechanics car, cause it's usually held together with bubble gum and bailin wire... Buy a mechanics wife's car... Just kidding...

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

9. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

Things like rear main seals and spider gears can be worn too, that you can't really see. It's a never ending process. Plus, you'll get addicted, so don't think you won't be putting money into your truck.

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I pulled off an '82 Silverado for $3,500 with a new motor, tranny, and re-built t-case. I'd find something from like 78-82 if you wanna do all the work your self. Those TBI motors are PIA unless you have a full shop at your disposle. 83-86 would be alright too if you did away with the computer controlled carb. Course the other side of the coin is that a TBI could kick my q-jets a$$. Just some of my non coheasive thoughts....

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</A>

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i bought my 89 in 95 with 90000 miles, and it smoked when it first started up in the morning and the real main leaked...believe it or not, i switched to synthetic oil and both of those problems went away...i did pay a lot for it-9000, but it was in near new condition, and dealer maintained. it now has over 160000 and runs great!! i still use synthetic oil, and change it every christmas!! uh-oh, here comes the bad replys!!
    it had also spent its WHOLE life in las vegas, so rust wasnt even an issue....
    i do love the fuel injection though and have not had any problems with it or the computer. hell, i have never had the valve covers off!!!!

just a little more info to help with your decision---to put any 89 in prospective as to how old it is, i think of a 79 when i was a senior in 91, a 79 was the same age then as an 89 is now, and 79 seemed old.. does this make since????

AIRBORNE!!

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Whatever you decide, this truck or another, take it to a reputable shop and pay them to go over it (pre-purchase inspection). I have been fooling with cars and trucks of one sort or another for over 17 years and I still pay someone to look it over. That's because I (and most people) have a tendency to focus on "the good stuff" and "the potential" when looking for "that perfect project". For some reason, my mind insists on underestimating (or ignoring) the severity of any problems that may be apparent when I see something I like. So, as a sanity check, once I've given it a good going over myself, I take and have an unbiased opinion along with written estimates of repair costs if done by the inspecting shop. Good to have when dealing with the seller and it keeps things in perspective even if I'm doing the work myself.

For what it's worth, I also think this sounds a little high but without knowing your area and seeing for myself, it's hard to say. Paint, interior, maintenance records, tires, glass, chrome, exhaust, etc. all need to be considered.

Good luck finding a truck.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

$5200 sounds a little high, but He's probably not expecting to get that anyway. Go for $4000-$4500. I think its a good idea to get TBI. Its really pretty simple, and I've never had a problem with mine, has 139K on it now. A 350 properly maintained should last 200K.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

14. Dznutz70

Well I checked it out yesterday and it seemed fine, I am going to talk him down on the price but here in Ca. they go for about that much usually. The rust is extremly minimal and it drove fine to me, my dad and me are goingt to check it out tonight and I am going to offer him $4,500 for it.

You can check out pics of it at
    http://members-http-4.rwc1.sfba.home.net/dannymora/jimmy/

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Regardless of what you think about it, I *strongly* advise you to get a professional "pre-purchase inspection". You can probably give him an "earnest deposit" and then take it that next day to an inspection (with him if he likes). Make sure the deposit is fully refundable if the inspection turns up something serious (say over $100 to fix). It does not cost that much and I guarantee you will not regret it. Even if they find nothing new, the piece of mind is worth more than the cost of the inspection.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

16. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Listen to the experts!!! Get it checked out by an independent. I searched for a long time to get my 90Blaze. Should have waited. The first owner took good care of it. But a youngster (no offense to you younger K5 er's) bought from him and within 4 months treated her bad and it showed after I bought it. I was just tired of searching. Things are turning out fine now. I paid 5K for it. It was a peeler also.

Good Luck!!!

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer