Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many of you get bugged all the time by real experts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Dec 6, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For those that dont know I'm a Marine and every Marine in my platoon has to point every damn truck on base that has some kind of a lift on it. Today one walked up to me and said he would sell me a REAL blazer, so i ask what hes got and he says a 75 with FULL top (like i dont know that there algebra) so i ask what hes done to it, he dont know but its running 44s, okay what kind of axles? 3/4 ton the best dont you know that SSgt. okay so kind of tranny t-case.....ummmm stock, for now but im going to upgrade, okay to what ummmm heavy duty stuff, you know the good ones, okay so what gears you running? 4:10s the best out there, dont you know that? he did know it was a th350 i guess thats good. after about 15 minutes of this i ask where it is i want to check it out, a town 2 hours away but he wont bring it here because of the gas.....and to top it all off one of my bone heads wants to buy it. why dont people just leave you alone? i dont know im to touchy about this but it happens about 10-20 times a day, "i saw a truck bigger than yours, i saw this i saw that" WHO CARES leave me alone i like my truck the way i built the damn thing. guess im ranting now.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I get the same thing all the time myself. PI is not the biggest Blazer to ever grace my town, there have been a few posers on 44s and 10s sporting 3.08 w/ stock 305s. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Ive lived in my town and been active in wheeling (here and surrounding towns) for over 16 yrs, I can guarantee PI is the baddest that I have ever seen around here. Since PI is still "only" 3/4 ton, I am ALWAYS hearing of 1 tons on 44s, 454, 205....blah blah yadda yadda, but have yet to be able to make anyone produce one to show me. Even one being BUILT! Hell Ive never even seen another 3/4 ton Blazer around here till a week or 2 ago.

And even if there is one hiding somewhere, PI is still a daily driver, not a trailer bound 2 1/2 ton mini monster that seem to be all over Orlando.

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

oh yeah well i use to have a blazer it was bad it had a350 you know the big block it was a 67 you know the one where the whole top comes off it was lifted it had a 10 inch body lift and big 44 foot tires man it was way better than yours /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

That is the thing I hate the most. "Dude I saw this Toyota with like 20inches of lift and 44's, it made yours look tiny!" The first thing my gf said when I took off my body lift and went from 10" suspension to 8", was that my truck looked too small. Mind you, it was still sitting on the 39.5 Boggers and the word she chose was 'small.' I like the way it looks better now. I hate show trucks and always will. The lowrider show trucks don't really bother me since that's what my idea of a show truck is, but what is the point of having a 20" lifted truck that makes 44's look small and can only drive up and down a trailer?

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and to top it all off one of my bone heads wants to buy it

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess.....Silly Boot /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The ones I like the most are the ones that the only off road use they see is when they pull it on the grass to wash it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

A few guys I know got caught up in who had the tallest Yota. Well 1 guy stopped when he realized he wouldnt be able to use it anymore if he went any taller. At that point he had about 6-8 inches at the rockers over the 44 Boggers. He REALLY wheeled his rig and took it serious. The other guy won obviously, he had close to a foot between the 44 Boggers and the rockers. He USED to wheel his, he cant even hardly drive it now.

So maybe he lost actually. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

There's a guy here running with a front D60 and a rear 10 bolt on 44's. I told him he should just pull the rear shaft and drive on the front axle.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I also saw a solid axle conversion Chevy, front D44, rear 10 bolt on those big Michelin tires. Yeah, that's gonna last longer than a week. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    My friend has a Bronco on 42's, and he started telling me, "Mines taller than yours!"
    I told him, "Yeah...but mines longer and thicker."

8. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

When I was still looking for 16,5" wheels I thought of bying some "farmtrailer"wheels if they were 16,5". So I ask at the local store and a farmer hears what I ask fore and ask why I want them. And I try to explaine wery shortly because I know it cannot end well anyway. Then he wonders why I want so small wheels, "there are bigger wheels out there you know".

Yea, right...

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Let me guess.....Silly Boot

[/ QUOTE ]
    yup

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What bugs me are the guys/kids who think they know everything about their truck....after they just bought it a few days ago! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

No one can know everything about a truck if they just buy it. If they build it, then they know every spec, detail, info, etc. about it.

One example is a kid told me he was running a 400/205 under an '86 K20 truck. I was under the impression that someone did a swap to upgrade the t-case.
    Turns out someone did do the swap, but with a 203 instead. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Too many kids get confused with the 203 and 205. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I had a guy going on about a truck like that one time, sayin how baddass it is but didn't have a clue what was in it. The sad part is that he was behind the counter of a 4x4 shop in Charleston, SC. Sadly enough they were the only shop in town that could rebalance one of my 36's when a pad came loose in it. As the guy pulled it into the shop he suddenly stops and jumps out, looking under it all scared that something is wrong and saying he heard some loud clicking from the rear axle! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif When I told him it was the locker he responded "Those things don't normally make noise like that, there must be something wrong with it" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Right about there I started wondering if I could make the 3 hour trip to Charlotte on an unblalanced TSL? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was so nervous to have these guys actually touch my truck. While he was pulling the tire off, he noticed the standard surface rust that you get on a 12 year old truck from western NY and says I better get a new frame soon cause mine is about to rust through. I ignored that one and his friends comment about how I got all the dents and scratches cause I figured opening my mouth to make a comment would be a total waste of oxygen. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif It's really sad to think that those guys worked at what was considered to be the "Best and Biggest 4x4 shop in Charleston!!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And my "non-wheeling" friends wonder why I do all the work on my truck myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

My personal favorite. Everyone at school is like, "Man your trucks gonna break down every week." "My trucks taller, faster, etc etc than yours." "You coulda bought a new one with all the money you've put into that one" Its like shut the $%^&amp; up. I didnt want a new truck like all yall got, cause A. Mommy and Daddy cant afford it. B. I would like to be able to work on my own vehicle. C. Yeh with all the money i have into mine i coulda bought a new one, but ya know, id probably wanna do the same dang thing to it.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"You coulda bought a new one with all the money you've put into that one

[/ QUOTE ]

my personal favorite.

I always reply with something like,
    "why would I pay that much for something I don't want?"

14. If I had to rant about people on Fort Knox commenting about my truck it would be directed at the idiots that say "Why would anybody ever need a truck that big?, That's stupid !" or "Is that thing safe to drive that high up"? or "Isn't that against the post laws or something"? Jealous MF's is all I got to say !! At Fort Hood I had more good comments than bad !!

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The so called experts at the dealership, parts stores, salvage yards, and even local 4x4 shop that tried to tell me I can't put a 14 Bolt FF rear end in my 76 K5. They all say it can't be done. Fawkin morons !!!!!!!!!! Couldn't stand the former nieghbor that called the cops on my K5 right after I put the 6" lift in it trying to say it's not street leagle and I should be able to drive it on the streets. Cops had to come out, but they also said my nieghbors were just looking for something to start a problem about, and told them too leave me alone unless they wanted to be charged with hurrassment /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like my mom always says...."why don't you trade it off for something newer and more dependable?" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Not the point, mom. A newer vehicle doesn't always mean it will be reliable, DUH! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

A newer vehicle doesn't always mean it will be reliable, DUH!

[/ QUOTE ] right on, my 95 is crap, replaced/rebuilt the whole drivetrain cept for the motor, which is great. and i have to replace the rearend again, this time with a 14sf.

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i bet it is not even a boot, but a shower shoe... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    lots of jar heads out there. i work with a ton of them. most the guys at my unit cant even begin to understant what it is i am building. lots of them say "i saw a truck out in town and....." I DONT CARE!!!
    once mine is done they will know whats going on with it. and then understand a bit more. but right now they keep asking all kinds of stupid questions. they think since i plan on running 44's that it is going to be sky high. nope, ony 6 inches... or so.
    i agree, leave me alone and let me build MY truck. if i wanted thier opinion i would have gave it to them.
    Grant

19. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

Charleston SC, hummm. Was it Lowcountry 4x4, or Highroller's?

20. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My friend has a Bronco on 42's, and he started telling me, "Mines taller than yours!"
    I told him, "Yeah...but mines longer and thicker."

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'll have to remember that one.

The one thing that doesn't bother me about dumb people is that some are out to learn. Instead of saying that is dumb its more like "How does that work?" or "Whats the advantage". You know they are actually interested even if what they thought was true was way off. And to go the other way with it, I hate when I ask a sencere question of a more knowlegable person, when i get a "your retard answer".