Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many of you guys actually pay full price for Snap on?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Apr 12, 2006.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Just curious how many of you guys buy the stuff straight off the truck? I mean I know its convenient, but the price of most of the stuff is ridiclous. You go on ebay and its so much cheaper. I got both my socket sets off ebay for a third of the price, brand new. Makes me think I should have checked ebay before I dropped as much as I have on the truck. I dont want to sound like a cheap skate, but there a difference in being cheap and being smart with your money.

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I agree, I'm all about helping the local small shops for certain things. But If I have to spend a lot of money on a hobby etc and I can go online and find the majority of what I need for 20% + cheaper, I'm going the cheaper route.

3. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ebay sells Snap-On? I wished I knew before I did my latest order. I just spent over $1200 off the Snap-On website.

Anyway, some of my first set of Snap-on tools I bought off a good student discount when I went to diesel mechanic school seven years ago. I think I got half off for the tools I ordered. I needed metric wrenches and impact tools at the time.

I'm at the point now if I need something new, it would be a specialty item like my SAE double flare tool kit or power steering pump pulley puller which I've just received.

So, to answer your question, I've bought anything Snap-On at full and discount prices.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont buy a whole lot from my Snap On guy, things under a hundred bucks. I usually buy the stuff they have on special. thanks for the info though I will be looking into that for my next purchase. I only owe my guy 45 bucks right now. im going to pay him off next week and be done buying tools from the truck for a while.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sometime I do. If need it now, definitely. Then there is the "wow that would make this job a lot easier" stuff. But most of my stuff came at some sort of a discount. When I worked at the big D we all got a little discount, I've got stuff off e-bay for about 40% off, and about the same (I think it was 45% off) from Snap-On industrial sales through school. I think a lot of the new stuff on e-bay is being sold by Snap-On industrial sales guys, or friends of theirs. The best deals I've gotten have been at pawn shops and flea markets- especailly broken stuff.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, and one problem with my snap on guy is it seems like he never has it (specality stuff) and it takes him forever to get it. I ordered 1500 worth of tools and it took a month, thats riculous. Recently I a set of chrome 6 point 3/8" drive shallow sockets 1/4" to 1" for 81 bucks, new! That sure beats the 269 he wanted. Hes such a jerk too, all the business our shop gives him and he cant ever even cut us a little deal.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

About 90 pages worth on any given day... I used to shop it religously every night..

I have gotten some seriously killer deals.. But one thing to remember is you've got a million mechanics looking at that stuff too... So its hard to get something for a real steal, unless its an oddball item or an off week... you can usually get new stuff for 25% to 50% off what you get charged on the truck... Used stuff even better sometimes.

But I've also seen stuff go for practically truck price if many are interested in it.. Gotta know your prices and watch what you buy..

Best deals I've gotten where $500 worth of air hammer bits for $54. A $48 cold chisel for $9. a $300 air nibbler for $75... and the full 3/8 swivel set for $160, normally about $440..

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

My school autoshop spent $75,000+ on snap on tools last year. Alot hasnt been used. And some has been stolen. Some of their stuff is too precise and wont fit imo.

Im so spoiled now, using air tools, ratchet wrenches, yada yada.....I hate comin home to work ...haha.

9. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

My buddy was a snap on dealer. They have plenty of margin to give a discount, but remember that they are franchise and have house payments and kids like the rest of us. The main difference between ebay and the truck is that the truck has credit that allows you to make payments. Buy on ebay and use the truck for damaged goods. To me, price is price, if I can find it cheaper, I will.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, i buy Snap-on from E-bay. I bought a 3/4" drive 200-600ft. lb. torque wrench for $142.00 delivered to my door, that wrench brand new from Snap-on is $700.00.

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i used to get the student discount but now that im out of school he only cuts me a break on certain things. and alot of the big expensive stuff he gives me a discount on now that i just bought a 6500$ box from him

12. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

X2!!!

The key is in the search parameters.

I just purchased some Snap-On ratcheting wrench for about 1/4 of their new price. This is excellent.

Thanks for the heads up.

13. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Anyone here check out Bessey Clamps, they are $$$$$$$$$ but ebay is the way to buy them :) for great prices.

Just be careful and make sure your do transactions with people who have good feedback.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i never pay list price for anything off of a tool truck. they've got room to come down, and know that the more they coem down, the more im going to continue to buy.

15. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I bought a "beginner" tool set from Snap-on, i got %62 off!!! If i plan to buy more tools from them ill ask my friends who are students to get em for me with their discount.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

shiat, I hardly even pay full price for Harbor Freight... :grin:

j

17. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

You cheap bastid :p: you and your Harbor Freight fetish :haha: . I bought some stuff off the truck when I was turning wrenches but I found I can twist the arms of the hawk shop guys a get a good deal . I've gotten a few things off ebay . I do have a bit of old school snap on stuff that was handed down to me or inherited . I know a few guys who have nice snap on boxes full of craftsman tools :rolleyes: . I would rather have a cheap box and nice tools . As long as it's magnetic of course :haha: .

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

This from a guy who uses a HF pipe bender to make stuff for his offroad rig... while I have a Protools 105HD... :haha: ;) I do love HF for pretty much everything but bending/welding though... :grin: :thumb:

j