Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many of you have a black residue on your tranny dip stick?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MilpitasK5, Jul 24, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

How bad is that? It seems to be shifting normal but my fluid smells burnt but is still red too. I just changed the fluid and filter about 4 months ago.

I just installed a B&M Tranny cooler to keep the 700R4 cool.

Do I have to worry about it taking a crap on my out of the blue or will there be signs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Can I still go on long drives? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

TIA

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like your talking about Varnish....Proably normal to some extent. All the dipstics on my burb have it and my Burb only has 74k on it. on the oil dip stick you can tell when it passes by the exhaust manifolds. It's much darker.

3. MilpitasK5

Okay, that sets me at ease a little more /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Thanks for the input Grim!

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

are you talking about the black "powder" looking stuff on the bottom of you pan when you dropped it?

5. Grim-Reaper

I'm at work and I got side tracked and forgot to comment on the burnt smell.

When you drop the pan you only get about 6 pints of the fluid changed. You still smell the burnt because there is still some burnt fluid running around in there.

That tranny holds probably 16 pints. There is not a way to drain the converter. A oilchange place may have a machine that ties into the cooler lines. Those will change about 80-85% of the fluid. I'll be having this type of change done on mine in the burb in the next week or two.

6. MilpitasK5

[ QUOTE ]
    are you talking about the black "powder" looking stuff on the bottom of you pan when you dropped it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's that same stuff.

7. MilpitasK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm at work and I got side tracked and forgot to comment on the burnt smell.

When you drop the pan you only get about 6 pints of the fluid changed. You still smell the burnt because there is still some burnt fluid running around in there.

That tranny holds probably 16 pints. There is not a way to drain the converter. A oilchange place may have a machine that ties into the cooler lines. Those will change about 80-85% of the fluid. I'll be having this type of change done on mine in the burb in the next week or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see, so I'll need to take it to a shop then? Hopefully I can find a good one. I'll check w/ my mechanic though first. Hopefully he has all the nees at home! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anything else I need to look out for or do?

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Why only 80% with a flush? The only fluid I can see not getting changed is stuff in the valve body, accumulators or servos that does not move during the flush. It does of course flush the torque converter since that it part of the normal flow of fluid through the transmission.

A 700R-4 with stock pan and stock cooler holds almost 3 gallons

9. Grim-Reaper

Because it would take 20 quarts or more to get anymore of the old fluid out of the torque converter....The torque converter is just a big container. Fluid pumps in and mixes and then some comes back out and drains back into the pan.
    It's just cost prohibitive to try to get any more then that.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, I guess I see what you're saying.

I've done the flush at home a few times. It's real easy if you have an auxilliary tranny cooler. Just disconnect the return line rubber hose and stick it in a jug. Run the engine in short increments. Look at how much is in your jug and add that much new fluid down the fill tube. This is actually easier and less messy than dropping the pan. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif