Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many of you have chosen Mormonism?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sample, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

You actually believe what a 14 year old Joey Smith saw back in April 1820?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: How many of you have been duped into Mormonism?

I see you've only been around for a couple of months. This probably explains why you don't know this:

Here at the CK5 Non4x4 forum we tolerate just about anything- Semi-lewd jokes, stupid links and political discussions. We also love to support those who are down and out, and give people shite when they deserve it. In fact, other than when a troll paid a visit, I cannot recall the last time a post got removed from non 4x4.

Now, here's a list of things we don't tolerate anywhere on CK5-

1. Racist comments

2. Attacks on religion

Now, there is a difference between starting a post like yours and engaging in a civilized debate about a certain religion. Using the word "duped" when talking to people about their religion is a surefire way to get yourself kicked in the ass.

ANd before you ask, I'm not a Mormon. I just looked at your post and replaced the word "Mormonism" with "Lutheran". Now try replacing "Mormonism" with your religion and see how ugly it sounds.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Re: How many of you have been duped into Mormonism?

Sounds like a fair question to me, but I know squat about Mormonism.
    As long as the discussion is kept at an adult level, I don't see a problem.

You know...about 90% of us here would probably make a Muslim religion putdown joke in a heartbeat. Why? Because for the majority of Americans, Islam is not a 'viable' religion. Kind of like talking about how ancient Incans worshipped Sun gods, and war gods, etc. Just a bunch of crap, in most people's minds.

Now we shift it to Moromonism or Catholicism or whichever you choose and people get touchy.
    If you have faith in your religion of choice, then have faith that the adult discussion of other people not believing the same thing as you is OK.
    -- Mike

4. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

You are absolutely correct. I just figured it would get more people's attention if I threw in a a word like dupe. I am very curious as to what the allure of the Mormon religion is. I mean, they claim to believe in the Bible, but say only if it is translated properly.

I don't know, sorry for the title.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for changing the title, brother. It sounds a lot better the new way.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You should edit the title of your original post...

There's also a second book the mormons beleive, that it's a bible refresher and that the bible is no longer accurate because it's been translated so many times.

7. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

The title has been changed.

So I take it, the Mormons no longer consider themselves Christians then? I mean if you don't believe the Bible then you no longer believe in Christ. You can't pick and choose and change what you want to suit your religion then still claim to be a Christian.

I guess that is why when you confront a Mormon and ask them to choose between a KJ Bible and the Book of Mormon, they will always choose the BOM.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I was back in the day. From everything I learned and experienced, there is no outright wrong thing about the religion. Most of them are fine, upstanding, ethical folks who will give a stranger their shirt right off their back with no expectations on a return.

There are things about the religion that are "weird," but all religions have that problem. They do have some incredibly hot women also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for your first question in the thread, maybe so maybe no. I believe it's possible while some others don't. I think I've seen and experienced enough in this world to say yes, that it happened.

9. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

ok here's the deal. im mormon, but honestly not a very good one. this is good for two reasons - 1) i wont get too offended by your ignorant remarks, and 2) i can answer MOST of your questions. i'm not even gonna pretend to know all the answers, but i can help with most. so here goes:

- mormons believe in the Bible. the only problem is that with many translations, much has been changed, mostly by the catholic church (no offense intended to any catholics) so, we try to avoid the 'altered' Bible

- yes we do have another book, but we do not see it as a replacement for the bible. it is simply a supplement to it.

- mormons definitely consider themselves Christians. we believe that Jesus is the savior and that he died for our sins. some people will try to tell you thats not true, but im here to tell you they lie! i dont know where they got their information, but its totally wrong. maybe they just dont have any 'real' religous sense and have to spend all their time making stuff up to bash other religions. i dont know but honestley i dont want to listen to them preach abou things 2000 years ago when they cant even get current stuff straight. okay im done venting

- lastly, the missionary thing. i really dont know about this one. i guess you have to be a 'good' mormon to understand. please dont even bother asking me about it.

hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Re: How many of you have chosen Mormonism? *DELETED*

Post deleted by BRBoudreaux

11. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

o btw, mormons use the king james version of the bible. coincidentaly some of yall probably use the same one.

12. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

I appreciate being called ignorant.

What bible is the altered version? Which bible do mormons use?

13. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

o btw, mormons use the king james version of the bible. coincidentaly some of yall probably use the same one.

yes bubba there are some very attractive mormon girls. unfortunately a lot of them are too 'good' to be any fun. there are a few though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

he was right bubba, its joseph smith

john smith is the pocohontis guy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You actually believe what a 14 year old Joey Smith saw back in April 1820?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not Mormon but I have read countless books over about the last 3-4 years like the Mormon bible; Mormon Doctrine and Covenants; Articles of Faith; Times and Seasons; some of the Journal of Discourses (Orson Pratt); some of the Journal of Discourses (Brigham Young), Doctrines of Salvation, History of the Church, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Pearl of Great Price and other items I was given when I went to a Mormon church locally and asked for information such as little booklets, pamphlets and brochures.

I cannot agree with what Mormonism is based on what I know that the Bible says. I'm no Bible expert, but I spend a good deal of time studying and ask questions and try to make sure I fully understand all I can. I'm not saying people who are Mormon are bad people. They aren't, so don't say I am saying that or looking to attack them in a sense I hate them because a lot of people like to say that when I say I disagree. People can fully disagree but not hate/dislike the other group. In fact Mormons do some great things in the world. But when it comes to beliefs and items (books) spoken of I fully disagree. I cannot accept their teachings and beliefs as the truth.

So to answer your question, do I believe what Joey (btw it's Joseph) Smith saw back in 1820? No, and I never will....

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Thank you for the correction. I'm not too good with names, but I have to say "joey" is a curve ball and half. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I had a friend back in high school that was Mormon. He was a great guy and would do ANYTHING for you. Funny thing was that whejn it came time to go on his Mormon mission they sent him to Utah. You would have thought they'd have enough Mormons there already. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

they send them to utah for a few weeks for 'training'. from there they go somewhere else.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    So to answer your question, do I believe what Joey (btw it's John) Smith saw back in 1820? No, and I never will....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why?

20. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

I believe "John Smith" saw Algonquain chief Powhatan's daughter...Pocohontas...nekkid! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif