Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many of you have had your oil pressure and coolant gauges puke?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MousePowrd, May 12, 2003.

1. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

My 91 has bad oil pressure and coolant gauges. The oil pressure moves all over the place, the temp gauge doesnt move at all. My 88 Blazer had the oil pressure gauge do the same thing. WTF?

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    My gauges in my 82 don't work... does that count?

3. MousePowrd

Probably, I think the gauges are the same

4. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Your oil sending unit is probably about to crap out. Mine went out a couple of weeks ago and leaked like crazy. It is right above the oil filter and is a small canister looking thing with a black heat shield on it. Fixed my oil gauge, temp gauge works fine (I hope), never runs hot.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would say the senders are going south rather than the gauges since they(gauges) usually never break...although there was that one time with the KY... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. MousePowrd

How much did the new oil sender set you back?

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I think the oil sending unit itself is around $40. Maybe even less than that depending where you get it.

8. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

get two mechanical units (autometer) from summit and install them. That's what I did.

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my guages dont work either. I am not currently done with my project so when i get done that is my last thing. my oil pressure guage doesnt work. I even replaced the oil sending unit.... my temperature guage reads overheating... but it isnt..... wonder if that is cuz the thermostat is on the neck where the thermostat is???? i have a 87 camaro intake on a 91 caprice police motor... couldnt get a temperature sending unit to fit into the 91 hole.... that only had 1 wire not the 2... i dunno....

10. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

Make sure the connection at the sender is good. Make sure it is tight in the dash "printed circuit board".
    My oil pressure guage stopped. Tried all of the above including replaceing the sender. The guage is no good. Try bone yards. A new one is expensive. LMC or the dealer. I put in a mechanical guage. Be sure to keep the original sender. If you disconnect that on the computer controlled units, the computer may see an zero oil pressure and shut down the fuel pump.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you disconnect that on the computer controlled units, the computer may see an zero oil pressure and shut down the fuel pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Computer uses an oil pressure switch, not the sender, for fuel pump operation.

12. MousePowrd

Do the temp gauge and ECM use different sending units? My gauge doesnt move at all, but when I hook the laptop to the ALDL port the ECM is seeing 190 degrees. Sounds like the gauge is shot?

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Do the temp gauge and ECM use different sending units? My gauge doesnt move at all, but when I hook the laptop to the ALDL port the ECM is seeing 190 degrees. Sounds like the gauge is shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should mount that laptop in your truck... and use it as guages, gps, all kids o goodies.... just dong goto mapquest.com..... oooh you can start your own site... mudquest.com !!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. dyeager535

Yep, different senders.

The gage unit should be on the drivers side, green wire to it, ECM sender is likely in the intake, 2 prong.

Disconnecting/grounding the sender wire SHOULD give you an indication at the gage. If it does, the sender is likely the problem. If not, the wiring or gage is bad.

15. MousePowrd

[ QUOTE ]

maybe you should mount that laptop in your truck... and use it as guages, gps, all kids o goodies.... just dong goto mapquest.com..... oooh you can start your own site... mudquest.com !!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, it displays just like a dash, I am about ready to try that. Still wouldnt know the oil pressure though /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm, my gauges dont work in my 86, coolant and oil pressure that is, therefore the guy before me installed a cheap 2 gauge pod by the tcase shifter on the bottom of the dash... how hard is it to put new gauges in the dash? shouldnt be too hard i think

17. dyeager535

Probably easier to fix the ones that are there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

More likely than not, wiring is the culprit.

18. MOTORHEAD

The oil pressure sending unit to the gauge does not send any info to the computer. I had to switch mine out because that ridiculous tin can sending unit would not clear my new headers. don't rack your brains on this one. Pick up a nice mechanical unit, mount it any where and hook it up to your dash lights. There are two different sending units for water temp as well, one for the temp gauge and the other for the ECU. Figure out which ever one goes to the gauge and replace it with a good gauge.

19. MousePowrd

I had a mechanical oil gauge on my 88 Blazer so thats no biggie, but does anyone know which coolant temp sender is which?

20. MOTORHEAD

hmmmm, the temp sensor to the gauge just has a regular two prong hook up on it, like two ( or one depending on year) posts that take a connector. The coolant sensor for the ECU has the connector with the rubber gasket around it and actually plugs in. Might be located on the block right under the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. I'll go out to my truck for lunch here in a second and have a look. The temp switch is on the intake manifold right up front.