Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many of you have rebuilt an engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Feb 13, 2006.

?

Have you rebuilt an engine?

1. yes

150 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. no

32 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. yes and i do it nekkid

48 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. no, but i'm nekkid and that's all that matters.

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

just curious how many out there have done a full overhaul on their engines. feel free to post up as "yes" if you are in the middle of your first build - like myself. ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i got the 4 bolt main 350 out of a suburban i overheated pretty bad and swapped it in my blazer, building the motor was really fun, swapping it in is kind of a pita. it was going through my head recently to rebuild a diesel for a tow rig i wanna make

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Back when I was in high school, many many years ago, I rebuilt a 289 Ford with much guidance from a retired heavy equipment mechanic. Nothing hi-po, just a basic rebuild.

4. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I have, but not the engine in my truck, or any car for that matter. Back in high school I built a 1940 Farmall Model H 4 cylinder. Resleeved it with a 1/8" over-bore, shaved the head, and installed a set of 1" dome pistons in place of the flat tops. Used to have to start out in first and work your way up through the gears regardless, now you can start out in 5th, on a hill, pulling something :D. I've had a 350 apart, but not rebuilding, just going through replacing seals and gaskets.

5. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

i did I re did a 305 I got for nothing for it to not fit bc of the rear seal , and a few years ago i Had an 88 F150 with a 5.0 , and threw a rod threw the cam , bought a bone yard motor rebuilt it and threw it in . I have seen it on the road a few times now

6. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

i also rebuilt a 302 ford motor out of an 86 bronco that i used to own that i got in trouble withs so i donated it to the school

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Couple of Small Block chevys, couple of four cylinder gassers. A whole bunch of Detroit series 50 and 60 diesels, partial rebuilds on some caterpillars and two cycle detroit diesels and a continental four cylinder diesel.

My dad owns quite a few Perkins diesels but they just dont ever tear up or wear out, so Ill probably never rebuild one of them.

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

doing my first complete tear down and build. I'm working on the 454 that's going to go in my project blazer. I'm going up from a bare block. I'd be totally lost if it weren't for my dad. He's helping alot along the way, pointing out things I should do or shouldn't do ect...

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

6 Chevy 350's

1 Chevy 388

2 Pontiac 400's

1 Pontiac 389

1 GM 2.3L Quad4

:D :D

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, this is what i do for a living. I've rebuilt just about anything that runs on gas. The earliest i've done was a 1911 EMF but have done many model A's and flatty fords along with your common SBC/BBC and the other makes of common engines such as Ford and Dodge and a handful of import stuff too.

11. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

A stock 350, a 450 HP 383, a 383 short block I completed, and soon will rebuiild a Mustang H.O. 5.0

Its not that difficult, just make sure you have all the tools needed and take your time, double check and assembly lube is your friend!! :waytogo:

12. colbystephens

well, i'm in the middle of reassembling my 6.2 after i had tons of stuff done to it at the machine shop. this is the first engine i've rebuilt. i'm really surprised at how easy it is to do. i think the hardest part of all of it is keeping everything perfectly clean. i think i've done a good job at that - but it's kind of a pain to have to be so meticulous. :) oh well. comes with the trade.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Did bikes and cars, engines and clutch trannies. Autos seemed like voodoo, but I realized if I'm gonna do traps, I've gotta either buy or build. So I bought the book and built a TH350. Its in my Burb today. Here's something interesting for the Engr. students, especially good for you Colby. As you go through your 6.2, are you reverse Engr. the hows and whys? Given that, realize it was Engr'd from technology 100 yrs. old. Fast forward, I would recommend going out of the way to study the guts of a TH, probably any of them, and study the processes; you should be able to see the difference 50 yrs makes. Its amazing. If I were teaching Engr., I could spend a year just on all the history, processes, disciplines etc.:bow:

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

never done a whole motor yet. farthest ive gone is rebuilt heads on an old 340 buick i used to have. done the top end on a 2stroke dirtbike a couple times, but those are easy. planning to do my first complete rebuild on a 4bolt 350 i have laying around, just gotta stop putting other projects in front of it and start saving for parts.

15. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

LOts and lots of rebuilds from mild to wild, from gas to alcohol injection.

I currently do alot of heavy truck and equipment in-frames.. I love them Cat and Cummins, there big and heavy but you have alot of room to work on them..

16. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

1,chevy 283
    1,chevy 350
    1,pontiac 428
    half a chevy 305
    and lookin to do another 350 for the blazer

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have tightened up a valve cover bolt,,,,,does that count???:doah: :D :D

18. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Chrysler 383, Olds 455, Chevy 350 and in the process of doing the 350 again.

19. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my first engine at 19 by myself after reading a few books on the subject and the engine was still running 252,000 miles later when I pulled it to put in another engine I had rebuilt. I had no idea what I was doing on the first one and I don't know how it lasted that long. I think the trick was that I put in really high end bearings and rings. But I really learned a lot and really enjoyed it. Smallblock chevy's rule. You gotta love the mouse.

20. colbystephens

that's what i'm shooting for. this is my first engine - i'm 20 and i don't have any instruction. it's amazing how much you learn just by doing this. i'm shooting for a few more than 250 thousand tho. :D We'll see.

:bow: