Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many of you that are 3/4 or 1 ton have busted 1/2 ton stuff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm curious...How many of you that have already done the 3/4 or 1 ton swap, have actually broken the 1/2 ton stuff? I'm curious who actually swapped the stuff, and needed it. I did my swap cause I broke the housing on the old 12 bolt. Pulled the drivers side tube from the housing by hand. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 3/4 ton now. 1 ton in the works- I grenaded a set of D44 spiders with 33's and open diff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So thats why I'm doin the 1 ton thing. Cause I need it to do what I want. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have not but i looked at the 10 bolt and it looked just as strong as of my old jeep stuff and knew it had to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Stock rear 10 bolt - Cracked carrier, broken teeth off ring and pinion. Lock the hubs, throw it in 4wheel, and drag the locked up rear end home with locked up tires (made some cool skid marks) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif A new rear axle was needed, so I did it once and went 3/4 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I destroyed my 1/2t 10 bolt with 31" tires: Broke the spider gears, welded carrier and broke both axle shaft, with new shafts I exploded the carrier.

I am working on my 3/4t dana 44 with 36 sx's: Broke spider gears, Installed spool broke both axle shafts.

Now I have 39.5 boggers on the dana 44 with new spider gears: broke drivers side axle shaft sofar.

I am picking up a dana 60 next week.

5. Zeus33rd

Right on, these are the kinda stories I posted this thread for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

One more I forgot, Striped the pinion gear in the dana 44 with the 36"s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thats about it

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I grenaded a set of D44 spiders with 33's and open diff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you not sure that the driver with his 10 ton lead foot and mongo HP BBC under the hood played a big part in that? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you not sure that the driver with his 10 ton lead foot and mongo HP BBC under the hood played a big part in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAH! I'm laughing at 5:45 in the morning... You got skills Bubba. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Bubba, ya might be on to something there... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

With 32" tires and 3:73 gears, I grenaded the ring & pinion on the 12 bolt, shot gear shrapnel out the cover and bent the gear mounting surface of the factory limited-slip. The Dana 44 has suffered a broken front u-joint. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The 3/4 ton axles are almost ready for the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I grenaded my lockrite with sm465 and 4.56 in a 10bolt in the sand.

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I broke some teeth off the ring gear and split my Gov-lock carrier in half driving home with 35" tires...MUCH bigger stuff than 3/4 or 1 ton axles are on the way...hehehehe.

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

*raises hand*

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The rear 10-bolt Gov-lock let go with 32" tires, the stock 150 h.p. diesel....but after it was stolen and who-knows-what-happened to it....

I rebuilt the rear 10-bolt with 4.10's, Detroit Tru-Trac, and alloy 30-spline shafts. Never had a problem running 33's and then 35's with moderate trail use for a couple of years. The axle is currently underneath another member's rig.

Front 10-bolt, I broke 2 axle u-joints while running 35's and a limited slip, and I definitely do not consider myself a throttle jockey at all.

The rear 14 went in first because I couldn't afford a front 60 (which would have cured my actual breakage problems) at the time and it was the first step. Plus I wanted a true locker in the rear and wasn't about to spend that much money on a 10-bolt. By adjusting my driving style and staying with 35" tires I didn't have any problems with the front 10-bolt for a year or so.

The front 60 went in for a few reasons: I had broken the front 10-bolt twice, I wanted bigger tires, I wanted a true locker in the front, and I was starting to run harder trails.

Overall I think I see the true point of this post. A lot of people seem to spend a lot of money putting 1-ton axles, lockers, and big tires on their rig before ever really trying them out.

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Broken:

4 Dana 44 shafts
    5 760X joints
    12 Bolt Lock Rite
    12 Bolt 4.88 Gearset
    Gov-Loc (thats a given)
    Twisted splines on the Warn Full Floater

Spent about $3058 on my 1/2 Ton stuff and was tired of going nowhere and breaking all the time.

I spent $1500 for a Military M1008 (Thanks Wes /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) sold the rest of the truck for $650, bought a Detroit for $450 for the D60 and haven't had a problem. I've only been wheeling 2 times this year so I will expect a little breakage in the form of 30 spline stubs and u-joints, but am more confident I can wheel and have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I had 10 bolts with 3.08's on 31" tires. When I swapped, the rear had 3 teeth broken off the ring gear, a shot bearing, and a cracked carrier.

Swapped to 14B FF and D44.

Thomas.

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I ran 10 bolts with 33x9.50 all terrains with no problems, then went to 3/4T and that worked OK with 33's but with Q-78's I started breaking ujoints and shafts. With the chomo shafts and new 297's I could pound it pretty good though. The ARB crapped one time, the 10 bolt ARB is a 2 pinion design and isn't very burly, they're redesigning I think. It would take a little bit of bouncing, I managed to surprise myself a couple times when I was harder on it than I thought it would take. Then I went to the 12 bolt FF and it did OK with 37's except for bending once. That was more my fault than anything. With the new big tube housing, it was OK. The 10 bolt with 37's was easier to break. I went through several hub fuses and finally broke a joint and messed up a stubshaft. Shortly after that the 42's and 1-ton gear came to me.

17. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

My 75 right after I got it was still all 1/2 ton with 44" tires, 454, and a 4 speed (bad combo to start with /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif). Road testing it I pull out onto the road and let out the clutch and hit and gas a little too hard and managed to blow the spiders through the rear diff cover, it was a 12 bolt. At that time I had the 14 bolt ff and the dana 60 getting regeared and all new bearings and locked. I never did break the running gear after I went 1 ton but broke everything else around it.

18. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In my old truck I blew the rear 10 bolt spider gears with 35's. Then after replacing them I did it again a few months later and sold the truck.

Then my current truck, when wheeling it stock with the 14 bolt rear and 1 ton ifs frontend I blew 1 cv shaft 2 different times with the stock 29" tires /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Apparently the 1 ton IFS doesn't like hittin ditches and stuff while turned to full lock and flooring it trying to get up a hill... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Spent about $3058 on my 1/2 Ton stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

oooowwwwccccchhhh!

if that doesn't sell the deal what does?
    that post should be slid into the latest 'how to beef 1/2 ton' thread
    what size tires?

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

For the rear (12B):
    Dertoit EZ-locker, second trip on 35s
    Housing slightly bent, I think this was more from towing than wheeling.

For the front(10B):
    1 297 Spicer joint, also took out the stub shaft.
    1 1310 CV, this was more of a lack of maint issue though.

Around here 35" radials or 33" swampers seem to be the limit for the 1/2 ton stuff.