Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many oz. of R-12

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Impex, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

going to be adding r-12 in to my system since my dad can buy it for me, was wonder how many oz. does it take to fill my system on a 78 k10 with an A-6 compressor? Also the compressor i bought was rebuilt by AcDelco and it says thats its filled with 7 oz. of oil. is that the correct amount or should i add more? (thinking maybe they just added 7 oz. for shipping or someting and it may take more)

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

R-12 systems retrofitted to R-134a use 80-85% of the original R-12 rating. The old A6 uses 11 oz of oil, compared to the R4's 6oz. Find out what type of oil the compressor came with, very important. It will either be a mineral, PAG, or ester oil. Mineral oil won't work with 134. PAG comes in varying viscosities and you have to use the same viscosity. Some say PAG isn't compatible with the left over mineral oil in older systems. I think yours would be sufficently emptied to not have a problem. Last is the Ester oil, which I think is the best in refits. Most of the parts store kits come with ester oil already mixed with the refridgerant. As long as you are this far into it, a new dryer, o-rings, and hoses (rubber ones) would be killer. Every detail counts.

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

yeah i bought a new orfice tube, drier and the lines are a 1 year old, & a bottle of flush to flush with the flush gun i bought. i called carquest (autoparts store i bought it from) and they said it is the oil for r-12, (becasue they said that is what came stock with it) but the tag that came in the box says it only has 7 oz. of it so i need to add 4 more oz. i guess. Still not srue how many oz. of r-12 i'll need to buy to charge the system, R-12 isn't cheap...lol

4. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

oh im not retro fitting to 134a im going back to r-12

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Oh, going R-12. Well, cha-ching, lol /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif . 3 pounds of R-12 should do the trick then.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Have you thought of using "Freeze 12" it's the strait swap for R-12 and is as cheap as R-134. This is the way a mechanic friend of mine said I should get mine working again.