Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many people buy a newspaper?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Jan 10, 2007.

?

Where do you get your news from?

1. I buy my local newspaper routinely.

39.3%
  2. I buy a national newspaper routinely.

14.3%
  3. I buy both my local and a national newspaper routinely.

3.6%
  4. I get most of my news from the internet.

39.3%
  5. I get most of my news from radio.

10.7%
  6. I get most of my news from TV

10.7%
  7. I read and listen too everything in sight.

3.6%
  8. I'm naked and could care less about the so called news.

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So another post got me to thinking and I don't remember the last time I actually read one except for scanning a couple of stories.

Multiple choice poll. Well?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I get the paper daily, but have always gotten poor service with home delivery so I just buy it out of the box every morning...

Rene

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I refuse to buy the local paper, it appears to be written by the Jr. High Remedial English class.

I read most of my news online mostly through the websites of various print outlets, and also listen to talk radio.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Daily reader of the local and political artist extraordinaire. :D

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have a subscription to the local paper but get most of my national/world news from TV and intraweb.:deal:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We do...

My mother gets at least 3 newspapers delivered here daily--the Boston Herald and the Taunton Daily Gazzette,and The Brockton Enterprise..we used to get FOUR every day!--but she finally decided to cancel the Boston Globe, after they would not bring it to the door,but leave it in the mailbox,or just toss it in the snowbanks or puddles..if we got one at all!..

I once saw the guy who delivered the Globe, toss them out of his car at 40 mph one day at 5 am,that was when I convinced her to stop getting that paper!..now all the other paper delivery people except one refuse to put them in the front door,so I have to trot to the mailbox every day twice at least--once for the papers,and at least once to see if the mail came..box is 150 feet away,so its a pain in the butt....:doah:

I only read one of the local papers,the Boston ones are little more than tabloid style rags,with most headlines dealing with crime,political bickering,our former govenor deciding to run for president (ha--good luck Mr.Rommney--you'll NEED it!),the new black govenor,and many sad stories about people getting killed,etc..

I watch the TV when I want to get news,I'm not really impressed with most stories in the papers--the media is biased,and you can quickly tell which paper supports republicans or democrats,and liberals and left wing views..and I'm amazed at how they "overlook" incidents involving some people here in high places when they get in trouble,and how they get away with crucifying others who have little money to defend themselves..

One example--a high school coach in a nearby town had his life ruined when news was "leaked" that he "molested" a young girl on the team,before he was even brought up on the charges...he was later aquitted,the girl admitted lying about it,just wanted to get him in trouble!..but his job is gone,and so are his chances of getting another one here too most likely..all because some nosy reporter wanted a "scoop"..of course the girls name was never revealed...

---yet a police officers son was caught with large quantities of drugs in the same town,he was suspected of being one of the biggest suppliers of dope in that town,but they never printed one word of it in the local papers--I heard about it a month later on the radio,on a local talk show!..(and I hear the charges got dropped,his lawyer got him off,"Illegal search and seizure")...:mad:

I find these newspapers handy for lighting my wood stove,or to cover the floor in a litter box or bird cage,but have little use for them otherwise..they dont seem to even BURN good anymore--stupid recycled paper!..:crazy:

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you forgot about work getting the newspaper delivered.:D i am suprised my boss doesn't stop it though. i am the only one out of 15 people that read them.he didn't renew the sub to newsweek though. that sorta pissed me off. but it was free for 12 years.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I read the local paper every day, ( gott read the comics and the obits somewhere, right?) and I read the smaller weekly community paper.. I also do additional research in the web, and of course have my right wing propaganda on the radio. I also read the free alternative weeklies that are very leftist, but as crazy horse said " it is good to know what the enemy is thinking"..

I can't stand TV news, whether the local channel or even FOX.. too much arguing, and not enough thoughtful analysis..

Tom

9. boggerless

yeah the TV news sucks.i really hate the local news.everything is "BREAKING NEWS":yikes: it ends up being an apartment fire that ALMOST got out of control.:rolleyes: or the cliff hanger story "THAT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!"so i wait till the end to find out that i should not eat raw chicken or something like that.:haha: :haha: :haha:

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My wife subscribes to the local paper and reads it cover to cover. I read the classifieds and Sundays sears sales paper.

11. boggerless

i always start by skimming the paper to see what i want to read the most.at work its hard to read it all. then i move to the comics.if i can i take the paper with me on my fork lift so i can read it in between customers.:haha:

12. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I subscribe to the local paper, it only comes out once a week though.

Actually I receive another local paper that is free, it is also only published weekly.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I only read a paper when I have to wait for something; on the train, or waiting to work on something, I'll flip the classifieds.

I get radio news, I find it convenient and easier for multitasking like driving...
    My wife is a big news nut. No paper, but she surfs internet news every morning.

I read my industry news 3x a week, received via fax. Lotsa tower collapse's out by JiminyCricket lately! :eek1:

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I didn't do it. :whistle:

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: You must be one of the rich people in the hills that don't want anyone else in CO to have TV...

16. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Used to get the paper in CA..since moving I use more paper cleaning my ass,then what the issued paper up here in WA. is.

17. boggerless

at least you recycle!!!!:bow: :bow:

18. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hehe,more like stack it and burn it. :eek1:

19. boggerless

i used to have a pile of papers to burn. now its just a pile O wood and some scraps to get the fire started..:rolleyes: :haha: :haha: