Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many people have there offroad trucks plated and insured? (poll inside)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 15, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm just curious because my insurance and plates both are doubled this year /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, why? I HAVE NO IDEA... thats a whole nother belly ache there /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

It's going to cost $60/yr for plates and $310/yr for insurance on a vehicle that in real life, just sits (last year it was $24.50 and $195). The insurance place says I can't take it off because they wont put it back on later if I have them remove it now /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

So what insurance do you carry on your truck, is it plated?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Must be the area your in....cost me really cheap to insure and plate my burb. Insurance I pay yearly and plates I only have to cough up money every 2 years /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Fire your insurance company and go with one that will work with you. Ive read of members on here that add/remove insurance several times a year....whats up with the tags over doubling in price? Here they go down as your vehicle ages.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My truck is registered for $270 a year and insured for $1300 a year, thats with my good student, good driver discounts. Deans list and no tickets took about $500 off of my insurance a year, used to be $1790 or something like that.

I have it through AAA and they will cover anyting on my truck I have a receipt for, if it gets totalled in an on road accident they will pay me for the low blue book value of the truck plus whatever I have put on that I can show with receipts.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Get a new insurance company. I have Farmers right now and can add/remove vehicles as I put them back on the road (at least one is usually down for major repair at some point). They never ask questions.

Have you called around for quotes since you last posted about your insurance doubling? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you have no plans to drive it, and it's actually worth some money /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif then just carry comprehensive and theft insurance on it. That will cover you if it's stolen or badly damaged (hail, fire, vandalism, etc.). If it's a $500 beater then drop the plates and insurance and shop for a new insurance company. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

You got it good where you live "$310 a year for insurance". I live in Las Vegas, and just basic liability insurance for my truck is more than double that at $700 a year, and I have a perfect driving record. The reason why insurance is so high in Las Vegas is because the Las Vegas's 24 hour a day life style attracts so many of America's derelict, scumbag, crack head, gangster thug, steaming pile, revoked license, warrant for arrest, felon, drunken, no insurance drivers, that there is about a 100% chance that someone is going to slam into my truck eventually.

8. jjlaughner

I have liability only on two 87 blazers, ones setup as a DD (15+miles daily) at 316yr, the second is 5miles or less at 301yr, so 617 year for two trucks (the one has not even been out of the driveway in over a year but they say I can't lower the coverage anymore than it in now nor can I take it off if i want to add it back on later /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif). Last year I paid $480 total for both. I'm 26 single no tickets, no claims, never late (till this time because I'm looking around still), coverage is liability only for 100K/300K.

Plates this year for two truck plates are $56.75 each (there's an additional excise tax and wheel tax this year).
    Plates last year where $24.50 and $27.50 (for a specilalty alumni plate).

PS still looking for a job /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif 15months 3 callbacks, 2 interviews and only 1 of those called back and said we hired someone else /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I'm 47 & now after getting hit by this a$$hole & going thru all the BS I am....I'm paying $1200 a year for PLPD on my 86 junker. GOD I love Indiana /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Be sure (again) and check out your Insurer in the link in my sig. You might learn they aren't as good as you thought (and hoped!) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

WOW! you guys pay some real money!

I have full coverage on my wifes Ford Explorer and my 1 ton dually. I have liablility on the Blazer and my Chevelle and I pay about $80 per month for it all.

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have no plans to drive it, and it's actually worth some money /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif then just carry comprehensive and theft insurance on it. That will cover you if it's stolen or badly damaged (hail, fire, vandalism, etc.). If it's a $500 beater then drop the plates and insurance and shop for a new insurance company. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well see, if the front floors get cut and put in this weekend (maybe), then the body lift and fuel tank will go back in next week and it will be somewhat driveable (no seats or belts yet but it should run). So I dont want to totally drop it (I asked about that last year, h3ll I plated it last year and still have the 04 sticker sitting here on my desk and its up in 2 months /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif).

12. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm 47 & now after getting hit by this a$$hole & going thru all the BS I am....I'm paying $1200 a year for PLPD on my 86 junker. GOD I love Indiana /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Be sure (again) and check out your Insurer in the link in my sig. You might learn they aren't as good as you thought (and hoped!) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Allstate is raked #3 ont eh bad list yet they are cheapest I have found /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    #1 on the good list is Chubb /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif who the hell is chubb? I've never heard of half these places, let alone being able to find a local office /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have Cincinnati right now and they are #29 on the bad side /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Allstate is raked #3 ont eh bad list yet they are cheapest I have found /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    #1 on the good list is Chubb /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif who the hell is chubb? I've never heard of half these places, let alone being able to find a local office /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember...you can be cheaper if you don't pay your claims. Yeah, Alstate rates better than Snake Farm does. Do a name search on the webb.

FYI- Chubb & Snake Farm paid millions for Clintons legal fees in the Paula Jones deal. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Re: How many people have there offroad trucks plated and insured? (poll ins

state farm has actually been very good to us. Through our company we have 7 vehicles insured and never had a problem. We add and drop vehicles all the time. We also have homeowners through them and they actually paid our claim after our roof suffered water damage this past winter from ice damning even though the roof has too little pitch and no ice and water damn mat. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Jeez, quit yer bitchin! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I pay ~1500/year for liability through Allstate. Allstate is the cheapest I've had so far. Some of the so-called "cheap" places wanted to charge me between 4000 and 6000/year. And it's 70 bones for registration...

16. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have it good and bad. Because of my heavy right foot /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif, my insurance is a little high: base liability on my "1977" Blazer is about $700.00/year. The good news is my tags- MD Streetrod tags (no safety or emmisions inspections)- are only $27.00/2 years /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif.

17. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeez, quit yer bitchin! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I pay ~1500/year for liability through Allstate. Allstate is the cheapest I've had so far. Some of the so-called "cheap" places wanted to charge me between 4000 and 6000/year. And it's 70 bones for registration...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I noticed teh "cheap" online places that advertise on TV are WAY high /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Damn, dude , tell it like it is!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

19. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Damn, I pay $103 a month for full coverage on the wifes 2000 Nissan truck and liability on my '79 blazer. Tags cost me $85 a year on the NIssan and $35 for the K5. I am glad I don't live there /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

20. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Man y'all pay some high insurance. I pay $1350 a year full coverage on an '03 Caravan SE Sport (including GAP insurance) and my Blazer with coverage for Blue Book + value of receipts up to 15k. and thats through State Farm.

I'm not sure how the 2 split up but I did notice that the Blazers liabilty is double the van