Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many quarts in the tranny...and auto transmission swap..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, May 7, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I did a search and could not find the levels...(Korea has liters, not quarts)
    I know, just fill it up until it starts to come out... I put in two liters so far...
    still, how many quarts approx... in both the transfer case and transmission case.
    Someone posted, use the highest number possible. I have 90W. Lower the number is what.. smoother shifts? What weight for smoother shifts?
    84 full size, 208, 3 speed w/granny gear.
    How much work to swap in an auto? Big job? I have a donor K5, same year. Mine is 1/2 ton, donor is 3/4 ton. Been sitting for 10 years or so collecting dust.
    Thanks!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Lower number is a thinner oil that won't protect as well in hot environments.

An NP208 takes ATF not gear oil FYI. About 4 quarts (3.78 liters) or maybe a litte more.

I don't know about a 465 though (SM465 is the 3 speed granny tranny)

I personally wouldn't get rid of the manaul for an automatic. Especially if it has been sitting for 10 years. SM465 is a beefy tranny and the 208 is a pretty decent case.

Harley

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

IIRC 1 quart= .96 liters
    i think the 465 takes 3.5 quarts /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif