Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many shims-6.2 starter? Clashing w/two

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglytruk, Apr 29, 2005.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    My "new" '86 'Burb was grinding as it cranked since I bought it on Tuesday. So I looked underneath and the inner starter mounting bolt was broken. Got the piece out, removed and opened unit, looks good. All bushings little wear, drive (one way clutch) tight, etc... Put it back on, with strap (wasn't on before), and still "clashing" as it cranks. Put a thick shim on, and sounded the same. But now the drive stuck against the flywheel, and had to panic to disconnect the batts! Put two thick shims, same disaster. I used a Taiwan solenoid, didn't forget the return spring(!). Could the nose be machined out of alignment? The flywheel looked alright, considering the grinding I put it through. I've re-built my own starters for 25 years, and find it odd that I used two shims and there were none originally. Sounds like a different problem. I recall reading the GM shop manual about the shim issue, so I know a little about the issue. Oh yeah, flywheel had a "ring", even though it was (of course) still bolted to the TC. This starter had been on for a long time, as the cable nut was badly corroded. Might have been the original, had the sealer between the nose and solenoid.

Should I open my wallet and use the gear reduc. unit from '91>. Ebay $150 new http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7970070323&fromMakeTrack=true, locally $250 reman.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I pony'd up for the 28MT gear reduction starter for my 6.2. It's a reman built by Bosch and went in with no shims. Works beautifully.

I'd think the broken bolt and lack of a brace caused the clashing. I'd pull the shims out of there and button it up with the two bolts and the brace and see how it is.

Rene

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Just had mine out yesterday to replace the solenoid. Brand new starter and solenoid and the Batt terminal fell out. Anyhow, three shims in mine.

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Three shims, hmmm. Were these the thick ones? I would guess that the thin ones are .010, medium .020, thick .030. If these numbers are confusing, think spark plug gap. I got a decent used unit from a friend and will replace nose bushing tomorrow. As well USA solenoid. We'll see.... Oh yeah, I tried the starter w/o shims, then one, then two. I wonder if it stuck "on" because of the bad ign switch or Taiwan solenoid. It never stuck on in the two days I toodled around town, just wouldn't turn off 'till I pulled fuel solenoid from inj pump.

5. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

How much? There's a listing on eBay for brand new gear reduction for $150, delivered. Local $250 or $300, reman. Reman old style $150

6. tRustyK5

I paid approx $300 for mine with a 5 year warranty. A little on the steep side, but well worth it IMO. Cranking speed is awesome and it hasn;t skipped a beat in the two years I've run it.

Rene

7. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

8. tRustyK5

I dunno...I do know I didn't exactly get the best deal around. It sure looks like a good deal to me.

Rene