Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many turns (lock to lock) on steering box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MOABDADC22, Nov 21, 2004.

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

My 86 turns 2 1/2 turns from lock to lock. It turns real well to the left but it will not turn at all to the right. (The best I can get is straight ahead.)

I think the coupler on the steering shaft (from box to steering column) came loose and now it will only turn left.

When I turn the wheel 2.5 turns to the left, the left tire is pushed back into the fender.

The steering wheel has gradually become off center about 3/4 of a turn (during the last 3 mos.). I put off fixing it and then my buddy used my Blazer while I was out of town and now it is sitting at work needing repaired.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Anyone???

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I think mines 3.5 turns.

Your going to have to check, somthing has slipped or come loose, and center the whole shebang again.

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I'll take a stab...
    1. The preload on the sector shaft could be too much. (the nut on top could be adjusted wrong... did someone mess with this ?)
    2. The draglink is bend or crazy out of alignment.
    3. When you say your left tire goes into the fender...the axle still centered in the fender opening..right ? Not like the center pin on the leaf spring broke and let your housing slide around...or did it ?
    4. Check your stops that are screwed into the knuckles...make sure something isn't weird with them.

Blake

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've also seen (on a GM I owned) moron previous owners that obviously removed the steering shaft, and spent tons of time making it fit the wrong way.

However, with that case, although the wheels only turned well in one direction, the steering wheel was also way off of center, and couldn't be adjusted correctly. Draglink on the truck sets steering wheel position ideally.

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I would also check the frame. Make sure the box hasn't ripped out. As for the tire going into the fender, better check everything else to make sure something hasn't broke loose. 2.5 turns seems pretty fast. The two boxes I've messed with were 3.5 and 4.25. If the rag joint is bad then it's time to put a u-jointed shaft in there /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif