Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many wine drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

With two wine posts in one day I am beginning to think I might not be the only wine drinker in here. So who drinks wine on a regular basis? What is your favorite type and brand? Also, since most of us don't drink only our favorite, what do you drink with a normal meal?

My favorite wines are those made with the Spanish Tempranillo grape. My two favorite regions are Rioja and Ribera del Duero. My all time favorite bottle was a 1993 Vina Tondonia reserva (reserve) that I drank about two years ago (2003).

I drink a little bit of everything depending on the weather, food, the mood I'm in etc. but for about the past 5 yrs I have been drinking mostly Spanish Roijas like Campo Viejo and Montecillo. Recently I have started drinking more wine from Argentina. There native grape is called Malbec, Alamos is a very nice one.

I used to try and keep a couple bottles on hand. That never worked, I'd always have most of them drunk before i bought more. Then I found out most stores will give you a discount when buying a case (12 bottles). So I started buying by the case. I would almost always have just over a case at the house. This worked until my wife (like many women) got sick of looking at boxes in the closet. She decided I needed a wine rack and bought me one for Christmas a couple years ago. Then I bought a bigger rack for a basement. Now I usually keep about ten cases at the house. (I've got a little over thirteen right now, though. That is due to the holiday season and soon enough everything will fit in the wine racks again). Once I get my basement cleaned up I'll take some pics of my bar.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm not much of a drink connesieur, but quickly working my way up thanks to TDY's all over the place now giving me a chance to sample the non-streetcorner liquors, beers, and wines. I'd have to say so far the best wine I've tasted is a type of Kerner. I forget the whole name or where the grapes were from, but I've found the sweet wines (not Ice wines, though) aromatic and great tasting.

I've also become fond of the Hafe-Weisen (sic i think) beers too, not to hijack the wine-topic, but the unfiltered taste is excellent.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I like to drink good wine with a meal, but I really don't have any favorite brand per se. I do like most of the wine's from Corbett Canyon (yeah, I know it's cheap), but I spent some of the best years of my life there.

John

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I prefer reds. Lots of great wine in CA. tho there are some really nice Sirahs and Petite Sirahs coming out of Oregon now. Had a 2001 David Fulton last week. Was excellent. My favorites of all time: Camus Cab 1997 and a 1999 Artesa reserve blend cab, PNV Lot 108. Very few cases made. Superb wine.

My all time favorite tho was at a dinner in 1998. Handmade ravioli and sauce, gorgonzola - walnut salad and a 1988 Chateau Mouton Rothschild Bordeaux. Unbelievable. First time I experienced hwo the right wine with the right food actually changes the taste of both into something better than each on its own. The food by itself was spectacular, as was the wine. It was hard to believe that them together could taste even better. Didn't seem possible. Truly pricey wine (and completely overpriced by a couple years later) but a great experience.

Had a similar (not as good, but pretty cool) dining experience at the Capitol Grill in Philly a few years back. Had a porterhouse Oscar with a wine I can't recall offhand, but the combo was awesome. I'll post up if I recall the wine anytime soon.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love Italian Reds. Chianti, Barbaresco, and Brunello (not necesarily in that order).

6. bigjbear

Skigirl, that is awsome. I know the feeling about the wine food combo making each better. When we drank that bottle of Tondonia it was with Paella. My aunt & uncle came to visit and brought us a paella pan and taught us how to make it. A great Spanish wine with a traditional Spanish dish.

[​IMG]

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

No!

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The few Rioja's I've tasted have been a little too nutty for me. It may have been the brand, though. I prefer a Merlot with heavy cherry or blackberry accents. I also like Pinot Noir, probably because of the hints of cherry.

I don't really drink white wine, so I can't comment on those.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

My son is a wine expert.

The only reason I can tell the difference between a red and white is because they are different colors.:D

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My favorite!....... :)

Yep--my first swig of alcohol(other than beer!)- was out of a bottle with that label!..also the first one vomited other than beer!..:doah: :haha:

Only other wine I ever drank was "Morgan David",or "Mad Dog 20/20"...that stuff was pretty powerful for just being wine....:eek1:

We didn't drink much wine--as teens,we soon graduated to the "hard stuff",and wine was left in the dust mostly...Beer and Whiskey were the most popular choices,followed by Rum,Vodka,and Tequila...the women seemed to like wine and "mixed drinks" more than the guys did around here....that 'Macho" thing ya know......:rolleyes:

If I had the money,I'd try more wine..its a lot better for you than 70 or 100 proof,thats for sure...:crazy:

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that looks good. Whats in it??

My mom drinks wine more lately. She bottled a bunch with some friends.
    my uncle and auntie drink it all the time.
    I don't really like the taste of it

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like red wines like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Brands I like are: Kendall Jackson, Clos Du Bios, Charles Krug, Toasted head, And of course Gallo. Gallo Sonoma wines are pretty damn good. I like Calif wines from Sonoma area.
    Chateau Ste Michelle from Washington state is some good stuff also.

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Bigjbear: Yummy! That's what I'm talkin about.

Re: Gallo - yea, they've come a long way.

15. bigjbear

Thunder, I've heard this from a few friends but haven't tried any, YET. I need to try some PNW offerings.

Skigirl, great idea bringing food into this. Anyone else got some food/wine parings to share?

Steve, its a rice dish flavored primarily with saffron. What is in depends where you are in Spain. Seafood on the coast, chicken/pork inland. Every family, town, and restaurant has its own recipe. Because I like it all I use a little bit of everything; chicken, pork, chorizo (Spanish pork sausage seasoned with garlic & paprika), fresh green beans, fresh shellfish, roasted red peppers, green olives, frozen peas, onion... Like said, little bit of everything. We don't put all of it in, just pick some of the things off the list each time. There are so many ways to make it, the only constant is the rice & saffron.

16. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yellow Tail Shiraz is my favorite drinking wine.

I usually cook with a Mondavi Cabarnet, the Mondavi Chardonnay is good with seafood or italian food with white sauces.

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Nothing says "class" like wine with a twist off cap:waytogo:

John

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad and I shared a bottle of 1965 Lancer's over Thanksgiving. Don't know how it ranks on the quality scale but I found it excellent. I don't know jack about wines so I can't exactly comment on what region or type is my favorite, however I've always liked medium dry reds. This thread got me to thinking so I went out and picked up a bottle of Columbia Crest cabernet and I must say it's pretty good albeit a little pricey. Should mesh well with the pasta tonight.

Good to see some other guys enjoy wine...my friends think I've lost it.

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Just remembered the wine I had with the porterhouse oscar. Was Liberty School Cab 2003.

20. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Sure beats the wine ive drank...Vella BOXED wine...MMmmm
    5 liters for 10.87:laugh: ...it was thanksgiving, and my friends and i had a half assed dinner