Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much air do I need? *pics of new compressor*

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Avery4jc, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been getting a little spoiled at work since we have an "endless" supply of air...100+ gallon tank and we are able to run the entire shop all day every day but now I'm looking for something for here at the house.
    The main thing I can think of right now is for running an impact gun...I don't feel like doing lug nuts all day by hand...sure it can be done but why do it when you have the power of air? lol

So any good suggestions? Since I won't use it all the time (couple times a month at the most) could I get something smaller and let it run all the time while I'm using the gun or do I really need to invest in something larger like a 50+ gallon unit?

I found this and it's close to where I live...no name but for something cheap it might be worth it...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Compressor-elec-2hp-220v_W0QQitemZ320066940741QQihZ011QQcategoryZ22662QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-Avery

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

to go cheap, get a husky or IR compressor, do NOT go oilless, they're loud as hell... 30 gallons or bust, you need the volume to keep the gun running at max!

3. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got the oil-free Craftsman 33 gallon with the 6HP a couple years ago, the day after I bought my Blazer... you're right, they're LOUD. I'm hearing impaired enough as it is, and I wish I didn't buy this one.. should've went with the oiled compressor... I'm thinking of building a soundproof box or something to quiet the damn thing down....

4. Avery4jc

Ok so oiled compressor with at least a 30 gallon tank...anything else I should look for?
    I have a soft spot in my heart for old equipment...like the compressor in the ebay link I posted...probably because all of our big equipment at work is old (i.e. our largest lathe is from the 1940's).
    So could I find something old or should I just go out and spend the money on something big?

-Avery

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run a 60 gal upright oilless... yup, screams like a banshee!!.. But I've ran the sh*t out of mine for 10 yrs and have never touched it... Keep in mind, your generally running tools, so your already making a racket...

They tend to be much cheaper also... mines been killer, at $400... For anybody with one already, try a hot water heater blanket around the tank.. Helps tremendously... also enclosing it helps a ton..

If I had a choice, sure I'd get a killer oiled unit, but I woulda payed over double what I paid easily...

6. Avery4jc

Ok I placed a bid on that auction I posted above...it's only at $50 right now...I bet the tank alone is worth that...plus he'll deliver it to my house.
    That sure would be nice...80 gallons!

-Avery

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

8. Avery4jc

That's nice but I think I'm going to try this one on ebay...he said he'll deliver it to my house for $35 so I'm looking at about $80 delivered because he just wants to get rid of it.
    Even if it doesn't work it'll be fun to tear apart and mess with...besides that it has an 80 gallon tank!

-Avery

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

You only need 3-5 CFM @ 90 PSI to run stuff intermittently, especially if you have a big volume tank. Keep in mind though, that it's a huge PITA to run out of air, if you are really needing to use it (think stubborn lugs, painting, etc.)... I would shoot for 10+ CFM @ 90 PSI, and if you are going to use it a lot, go for one that can do 120 PSI +. You can never have enough air. You maybe able to get jobs done with a smaller compressor, but it will take longer and you'll get tired of waiting for the compressor to catch up. Also, a compressor that never shuts off gets annoying fast.

I've burned up a couple of those Craftsman Airless models, I would consider a maintainable unit with belt, separate motor and electrics, and drainable oil must haves.

If you ever decide to paint, or run larger tools at high capacity (blasting cabinet, etc.) you'll need all the air you can get.

OTOH, if you really only want air for running impacts, filling tires, and other quick uses, you may want to just consider putting OBA on your rig with a York. Some of those units are capable of 5+ CFM @ 90 PSI, and you could fit 5-10 Gallons of air storage on board pretty easily.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Avery the only thing I think I can add to this is, that incrementaly the price of a compressor becomes cheaper the bigger you go, so if you spend 800 you'll most likely be able to pick up something that is 3-4 times better than what you'll spend on a $400 dollar unit. You can spend 200 on a compressor that will take all day to fill up your tires...I'd say save your money and buy big or be unhappy down the road...My 2 cents...;)

11. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

I've got a 5 horse 30 gal, oiled setup running at 135 psi and at first it was more than adequate, but I was just telling my neighbor that I wish I had at least a 60 gal unit. I've been doing alot of work with a cut-off wheel lately and I'm having to stop every few minutes and wait for the compressor to catch up. It gets real old real fast. And as mentioned above, you don't want to have to listen to the thing run all the time, even an oiled unit.

12. Confedneck79K30

60 gal is nice, and if you can, go for it, the bigger the better, but at least 35gallons, 5 horse or more, capable of 140psi at15 cfm is tits...

13. Avery4jc

thanks guys...

14. wicked jester

wicked jester 1/2 ton status

Nothing worse then running out of air! You will always need/want more so go bigger now rather then later. I have 2 stages and 80 gallon tank in my garage, overkill? maybe but I hate running out of air.

15. Avery4jc

well guys looks like I'm getting that one off of e-bay...it's up to $52 right now plus the $35 delivery fee...he e-mailed me and said he could bring it by Sunday sometime...80 gallons sure sounds nice!

16. Avery4jc

The guys just left...so now I'm the proud owner of an 80 gallon 2hp compressor...should be enough for what I do...

I'll get some pics and post them up.

17. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Good for you, sounds like a sweet deal, post up pics when you get it setup.

18. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

do you have a 220 circuit you can run it off of?

19. Confedneck79K30

if not, i do....

20. Avery4jc

Yeah...mom's dryer doesn't use the one in the garage so I can steal it...I went to the hardware store today and told them what I was doing and picked up 25' of wire (10 guage), a 220 head (I learned that there was a difference between some of the 220 heads, lol), the tabs, etc. so I'm going to rewire it so that it has a 25' cord hardwired to the box on the compressor...

Anyways I got it all cleaned up so here's some pics...oh and btw look at the manufacture date on the tank...1940! Gosh I love old tools...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]