Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much backspacing with 42" before contact?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Jul 19, 2002.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

How much backspacing with 42\" before contact?

I'm right about to order my tires and I want to have as much backspacing as I can because I'm gonna be running 42" with a 6-inch lift and there is gonna be lots of trimming. My question is, how much backspacing can I have with 42" tires before the tires will start rubbing the leaf springs, steering box or anything else at full lock? Would 4.5" be too much? 4.75"?

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Re: How much backspacing with 42\" before contact?

Backspacing is a function of rim width, not tire diameter. You need to know how wide your rims are, then determine backspacing and how much you want to stick out past your body and how close your steering components are. The rim sales guys can tell you what will fit and what won't. It is the distance from the center of the rim to the inside edge of the rim. You will want a different backspacing depending on your rim width - 8", 10", etc.

3. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

You're right about all that but backspacing is also largely responsible for determining how close the inside sidewall of your tires is. If your tire diameter gets large enough and you have too much backspacing, the inside sidewall of your tire can come in contact with leaf springs, powersteering box, etc. I'm gonna run 15x10" rims but width doesn't have too much effect on the contact of the inner sidewall, that more has to do with hitting your fenders. Anyone out there running 42" tires with a 6" lift, how much backspacing do you have?

4. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

contact Billyray on this one. I think he is running a 6 inch susp. and 42s

5. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i'm running 42's and 6"lift. on 16.5X9.75 with 4.5 of backspacing.no clearance problem.welcome to the 40 and up crowd!

6. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info efilnikufecin, that's exactly what I needed to know. I was planning on running 4.5" on a 15x10 and just wanted to make sure they cleared before I ordered. I've been waiting nearly a week to figure this out so I'll be placing my order tomorrow. Again, thanks for the info.

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Sorry it took so long. I have been working my but off at work then when I get home I'am wourking on the truck.
    The back space on mine is 3.5 that way I did not need to grind so much off the calipers. It also makes the truck a little wider so the tires could give it a little body protection.
    Again sorry I did not get right back to ya. On a normal week I would just stop what i'am doing and check for ya. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Stepen at ORD is running a 16.5x10(i believe) with 5" of backspacing!

9. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Hey Billy Ray, thanks for checking that out for me. I know things can get hectic when you gotta work on your rig. If I remember correctly, you run a 15" wheel on a 1-ton drivetrain and you ran 3.5" of backspacing so you had to grind some right? Do you think it would be possible to run 4.5" of backspacing or would that be way too much grinding and compromise the strength of the brakes?

10. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Man you will have no problem at all. You just get to have more fun GRINDING!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif