Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Much better is an "H" pipe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dafey, Apr 8, 2007.

?

Get H pipe or not

Poll closed May 8, 2007.
  1. Get a "H" pipe

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Not worth the $40.Leave it alone.

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

How Much better is an "H" or "X" pipe? The H pipe is only $40 , I didnt ask about an X pipe price.
    I already have headers and dual exhaust with glass packs.
    On the same line are mufflers better than glass packs?

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

H pipe is made for peak torque, while the X-pipe is made for peak HP. I would go for the h pipe if you have a choice of either one. Hope this helps.

Remington

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

In a way you are correct, but not really. they do the exact samething. the x-pipe is just better at it because it directly crosses the exhaust flow paths.

They increase power all through the powerband. I would run one whenever you can. They work by equalizing exhaust pressure and increasing exhaust scavenging. Same way an expansion chamber in a 2 stroke muffler functions.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

They also tend to help with low frequency resonance. Keeps from vibrating your fillings out.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

difficult to do an x pipe on our rigs without it hanging too low.

Anybody done one? H pipe is pretty doable though. I guess kinda depends on how sharp the X cross is....

6. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

When I got my exhaust done a couple of weeks ago, I asked the guy about it. He said it would be hard to run one on my blazer, and not do much anyway since my pipes were so short.

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I don't think it matters how long or short your pipes are. I know drag racers that run an X just off of the collectors and then dump.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

agreed on the length not being a big factor. For a small engine, yea ok dumping off the headers through an X wouldn't be so good, but that is much more about the short pipes on too small an engine than it is about the X.

I know I have seen guys run an H crossover underneath the output shaft on their transfer cases. For ease of setup, I think I will likely just put true dual on the S10.

However on Dad's 69 Firebird, I am going to try very hard to fit an X in the exhaust. May prove really difficult since Dad wants to run a Nascar style exhaust on the beast.

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would like to run an H-pipe on mine but my exhaust system is almost too old to start messing with or I might lose a muffler the next speed bump I hit.

Well no its not that bad, but every bolt is rusted beyond repair...

10. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

yeaah i tried to tdo this...when i did mine i was planning on runnin an hpipe but it would literally have to crossover RIGHT after the collectors which is underneath the trans pan. that was the only way unless i wanted to try and do it under the rear d-shaft. ah well its got true duals now. lol

11. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

The real question is where do you put it for maxim gain?? I used to use a hi temp. (300 degree welding) crayon. Make a mark down both pipes from the collectors back about 3 to 4 feet. Start the motor and look for the spot where the crayon melts first, that will give you the best spot to put it!! (Now, I don't know if this Is the correct way to do this!! It just my TWO CENTS)!!!!!!!!!

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

while I have never heard a thing about exhaust gas temperature and location of H or X pipe, it actually sounds like a decent thought. Hotter gases travel faster. Hmm... going to make me think now.

13. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I personally would go with an H if you have to have a crossover pipe. I dunno how much it differs, but in the Mustang world, the x was always described as raspy sounding... I have an H with no cats on mine, and love the sound. As far as the difference between the two, it will prolly not be noticable. I would do the H as it has a deeper sound to it...I've heard the thing about the H providing more torque and an x more horsepower...but I think its somethin like 2-3 hp....nothing you will notice.... But on the other hand, do you really need the crossover pipe? I dont have it on my 76 truck, and it runs fine and sounds fine....would it benefit from having one? probably, but I'm not willing to spend the money to have my current exhaust hacked up and pay for someone making an H to go in there.

14. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Yeah he asked me how old mine is,its still silver colored.So It should be ok on mine.Hell its only $40 so I'm going to have him do it.
    He`s also going to do the rear pinion seal for $50 at the same time.IF that all thats wrong.

I still cant believe how much stuff on mine is new...Go check out my other thread.

15. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

DaPlummer hit on the head...
    There's an optimum place to put the X, but having one in the wrong place is better than not having one.

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Old timer drag racers paint their header collectors and run a couple passes. Where the paint quit getting burnt off is where they cut the collector off. I have long thot that location would be the most ideal spot for an H pipe, but nearly anywhere fwds of the mufflers would be better than not having one at all.

Somewhere around here there is a link to an article on exhaust system design written by David Vizard. Would be worth finding that link again.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

18. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i see it this way; because of the obviously different flow characteristics of the two designs, they serve a similar function but in slightly different ways. H-pipe allows pressure equalization between banks, as needed, and x-pipe forces the same effect all the time. i'd feel totally ok with running an H on my k5. now, if i were building a chevelle (gto, vette, whatever) for drag racing, where 1/10 second counts, i'd be more inclined to try to fit an x on there. are you building an 11 second k5? :wink1:

19. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

That article is amazing. Great read. I will be changing my exhaust here soon since a 3" diameter tree decided to rearrange my passenger side exhaust.

20. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i ran true duals, no point in messing with the h or x pipe on this rig