Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much cable for an 8274?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know they can "hold" 150' of 5/16" cable, but how much are you guys really running on them? I want to run 3/8" and I'm wondering if 125' is about right? I'd rather be a little short in length but be able to make a wicked angled pull. One of the great things about an 8274 is there are no support rods so you can load up one side if needbe, but how much is too much? Thanks in advance.

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Mikey haven't we taught you anything :rolleyes: Cable is for our grandpappy's Run some Am-Steel. You can easily get the 3/8" x 125', 20,400lb winch rope, $231 on the 8274 ;-) I went with it and it is lighter then air. I'll post some pics on my buildup page soon for you. Get rid of the cable and don't look back.

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The wheeling areas around here are mostly wet and muddy, I've read that when the rope gets soiled the particles can chafe when it flexes (bends, I don't mean stretches) and weaken it pretty badly, am I paranoid or is this justification for staying old school?

Trust me though, I've been eyeing synthetic a lot. I'm paranoid by nature and the last thing I want to see is somebody get hurt because of my winching operation, everything else that synthetic provides is just a bonus.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Come on now Mikey all your friends are doing it...... :crazy:

I have heard both ways and yes the mud isn't the best for it but you can wash most of it out. You just need to take care of the rope just like you have to care for a cable. Your call bud. Do some research on this one.

I know for myself no more cable ever. Even if the mud breaks down a line and causes it to break atleast it just drops to the ground instead of the flying line of death a cable provides.