Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much can 10 bolts handle on a K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Holeshot, May 17, 2006.

1. Holeshot

Holeshot Registered Member

Well pretty much what the title says. Would stock 10 bolts hold up to a lockright or similar and 33s with a stock 350 geared down to say 4:56 or so? :confused: Oh and yeah I am new here.

2. Holeshot

Oh and what is a decent locker that isnt too expensive for a 10 bolt?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lockright by Powertrax ( Richmond Gear ) isn't too expensive . I run with 33's and 3.73 gears . I trust it . I constantly take sweeping lefts from stops on purpose too quick , just to hear the tires bark :pimp:

And although its not as extreme as other AZ guys , I do put this thing in rocks with the full weight of the truck and tools on it :thumb:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have an 85 K10 that has a 10bolt front and rear with the rear locker with the lockright and 4.10 gears with a slightly tuned 305 and 35in tires.

They have held up great. You don't need any bigger axels for 33s. I like the lockright but make sure you get the hardened cross shaft with it. I like it because going around corners you can gas it, the locker will engage and you can chirp the wheels.

I think a 4.56 with 33s might be a bit low for the street, but if its strickly off road then go for it! :bow: Crawl Ratio :bow:

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

These questions are difficult to answer because so much depends on your driving style and skills. Having said that, I'll say I'm with Pauly ( and I've wheeled with him ) You will prob. be o.k. on the 33's.

6. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I run Powertrax No-slips in both front and rear axles and have had great luck with them. The front is a 10 bolt and has held up fine with only 33's. I used to run a rear 10-bolt with the same locker, but after I snapped an axle shaft I decided to install a 14 bolt sf, which I also run a Powertrax no-slip in.

The No-Slip is just a newer and more expensive version of the origional Lockright and opperates a little smoother and quieter than the origional. It also comes with a new cross pin that is stronger than the factory one.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup , yours has synchros , much quiter and transparent to the driver ( except the feel ) . It does cost 100-150 more depending on axle though .

8. Holeshot

This is good info. Thanks guys. I suppose 35s would be pushing it huh? Maybe a 14 bolt rr would be a good idea. I mean those are bulletproof pretty much with 35s and they arent too expensive so maybe thats the best way to go. Thanks guys!

9. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DANA 60 or nothing else.. or no run ur 10bolt front and if u have access to a 14bolt u can throw that in there, and change ur front over to 8lug as well, it will hold up just fine.