Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much can a 203 take??( 203 anything thread)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazeonchevy, Jun 10, 2006.

1. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

i was just wondering how much HP and TQ a stock 203 could take.thats all thanks -sam-

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As long as they are in ok shape they can take quite a bit of abuse from the gas pedal. The chains inside them are about 2x the size of the chains inside of 208 or 241 tcases. There cases are cast iron so they can take some direct contact with offroad objects and survive to fit another day.

The only thing that sucks about them is there weight and there 2:1 lowrange. Unless your 203 is junk then I wouldn't swap it out for anything unless you are upgrading to a doubler tcase setup.

Harley

3. weisers26

weisers26 Registered Member

This is a little off topic but pertains to the NP203. Do you really need the front driveshaft hooked up, in order for the truck to move........ I just had the rear driveshaft hooked up, and I just wanted to move the truck around the yard...... and I could'nt, no matter what I had the t-case in. But as soon as the front driveshaft was on.. I could move no problem.

4. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

you would be able to drive it around without the front driveshaft if you have a part time kit installed

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

That seems odd. Seems to me that this would only happen in hi and low...but not hi and low loc. Without lock, the t-case will send power to the easiet route (much like an open differential) which would be the yolk with no driveshaft...therefore not moving the truck. But with a driveshaft out, and the t-case in loc, it should positively lock the front and rear together and move the truck no matter which shaft is missing. That is my logic....am I flawed somewhere? My brother has a 203 in his truck, but it has no gas tank now so I cant test it.:doah:
    -Harrison

6. blazeonchevy

i think this is right but if it is like mine the linkage has alot of slop in it so i think it only goes into hi and low....because i was mudding and i was in a hole and the front and rear were spinning but i got to the edge(going forward) and the rear only spun the front just sat there on the nice dry dirt.:doah: thats frustrating.(watching the video of it is even more frustrating))
    speaking of is there a way to fix this problem??? hah this thread has officially changed topics but its ok.:rolleyes: im on board, i got my origional question answered.and i have some more dealing with what came up.:D

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Spray lots of Wd-40 in the shifter and work it around. I know you can adjust the linkage but i have no clue how.

8. blazeonchevy

?????

so who knows how to adjust the linkage?

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Super easy to do, if the t-case is out :haha: There are two rods that go into the shifter, they have some adjustments nuts on there. Tommorrow I will go take some pictures

10. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Iirc earlier 203's (73 & 74) had wider chains than the 75 & up units did.

Easy way to id early 203 is the 1 piece iron tailhousing. Later cases had a two piece tailhousing that was part aluminum.

Lastly, the earlier units required some extra parts to convert to part time than the later units did.

11. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

loosen up the nuts on the rods, there is a hole at the bottom half of the shifter insert a drill bit or small screw driver to align the holes make sure the t-case is in neutral and your t-case shifter in the neutral position take the slack out of the rods and tighten up the nuts