Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much can I carry?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by marcus, Jan 24, 2003.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Truck as below....what's the most I can carry in the bed? I've just smashed up a concrete drive and want to take the rubble away. I have a trailer whih will carry about 4000lb. But I want to move as much as possible in one trip so can I carry another 1000lbs in the back? Trip is only about 3 miles.

Just out of interested, it's a 1/2 ton truck, does that mean I can carry 1/2 ton in in? Including myself?....

Answers on a postcard to....

Thanks

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I used to put 2000 pounds easy and one time I put 3500 in it. It helps with traction but gives it a saggy butt and be carefull with you steering it will be very light.

3. marcus

marcus Registered Member

3500lbs!! in the back of the blazer?? Jeez, that means I should be able to drag some 7500lbs of concrete to the garbage dump in one trip? Excellent! Thank god it's only a five mile slow drive though....don't fancy trying an emergency braking maneuver with that behind/inside the truck!

On another tipic, I towed 3500lbs to the garbage dump in my Suzuki....1.3litre petrol...I didn't even reach 4th gear (manual)!!

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

By the way, just before anyone reads this and think I am irresponsible and stupid, I just drove it on a local road going 25 MPH for a 5 mile trip to the dumpster.
    It can take the weight, I am not sure it's safe at higher speeds, since the steering was very light.
    When I load my trucks I try to even out the load by putting weight in the front seat as well, but this time the weight in the back was too much to be balanced by some weight I can fit on the floor in front of the seat.
    So I don't recommend anyone do that, but 2000lbs no problem, just remove the rear seat and ditribute the load all the way to the back of the front seats.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    By the way, just before anyone reads this and think I am irresponsible and stupid, I just drove it on a local road going 25 MPH for a 5 mile trip to the dumpster.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I think thats safe, the people you have to worry about are the ones with the 1/2 ton truck loaded full with rock or something like that on the highway going 55 with the ass end so low all the driver can see is sky!

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I had to do something like that with a POS little ford ranger. NEVER AGAIN will i do it. It was only 3 miles though. I was going like 25mph LOL I had the truck full of those patio Bricks.