Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much can i get for scrap iron in california

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lunchbox, Feb 26, 2007.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

ive got about 400 pounds worth of iron brake drums/rotors and i was gonna see if i could get some money for it over at a scrap yard in vallejo, i was wondering how much scrap iron goes for by the pound?

2. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Dont they have a phone,call em and ask.It is bringing $8 per 100 lbs for cars here.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

last i heard scrap steel was paying only about $90.00 a ton.

4. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, it's not really worth it. That's the bugger about steel right now - it's hardly worth it to get rid of, but costs a fortune to get ahold of.

You won't get much for 400 pounds of mixed-bag scrap.

5. 1-tonmudder

The local scrap place here gets .35 a pound for scrap steel.

6. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The scrap guys may sell it for that much, but they sure won't buy it from you for that much.

7. 1-tonmudder

Yeah they give like .6 a pound for it.It's a real racket.

8. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i took a small block 305 in minus the tins over 400 lbs, last week got 33 bucks for it.

now the 202 lbs of striped clean copper and 185 lbs of insulated got me over 700 :D

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

high scrap prices...

Here,junk cars are bringing 115 bucks a ton now!..I've had 3 guys knock on my door the past week,asking if I wanted to sell my van!..one had his car trailer backed right up to it..I am a bit concerned it may get stolen--over a dozen vehicles around here were stolen and scrapped without the owners knowledge or permission!..:eek1:

I think the price fot "light iron" or "mixed metals" like drums,shocks,etc is about half that much..I hauled a pile of drums and rotors and other crap piling up at my riends shop to the crusher the other day--got 20 bucks for about 200 lbs,hardly enough to cover the bottom of my truck bed!..Wish I had held off junking the heavy stuff I had when I scrapped my 74 K20 last summer--only got 75 bucks a ton then!..(didn't think prices would ever go higher than that!..WRONG!!)..:doah:

Thieves have been breaking into abandoned buildings,empty homes up for sale,and chopping all the copper pipes out--most likely for dope money..copper was selling for 4 bucks a pound a month ago,now its about half of that..

Catalitic Converters are being stolen in broad daylight at shopping mall parking lots and at new car dealers ..one toyota dealer had 35 of them dissapear off 2007 Toyotas in his lot,that is only about 300 feet from my yard!.(and no,it wasn't ME who took em!)..:rolleyes:

Anyone who has a scrap pile better keep a close eye on it..here they have even stolen aluminum light poles from parking lots,gaurd rails off the highway,and aluminum street signs,etc..one guy lost a truck body he had for storage,an all aluminum one..some dude with a ramp truck just TOOK it,while he was at work!..was full of tools and had a riding mower in it too..:eek1:

11. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

called alco scrap and they said they start paying at 1,000lbs and it goes for 150$ a ton.

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Just dump it behind Walmart...

13. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

i dunno we get a good amount of disks/drums and the occasional bimmer aluminum parts i was thinkin of loadin my neighbors 6-ton trailer one sat and try to see what i can get i mean 150 is the equivilent to my after school job weekly salary it might be worth it to try

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

update...

Scrap cars just went up to 125 bucks a ton here wednesday!..:eek1:

I think I'm gonna park my van out back,out of veiw of the street!..I might just find it GONE if I dont!..:doah:

15. 1-tonmudder

I use to work at a salvage yard and still have some freinds there.One of them takes care of selling all the cores(alt's,starter's,batteries,ect,ect) and I always take my convertrs to him to sell for me.The large GM's like the ones on most truck are bringing $75,or at least that is what he gives me.He might keep a little but it's more than I can get myself.

16. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

17. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

.04 for scrap iron, 7.75 for short. electric motors .15, stainless is .77 and aluminum is .68. all of this is by the pound but this is how I look at it. I went to a ladies house a few days ago and loaded all of her junk (washing machine, stove, and some light tractor equipment) and took it to the yard and made $80 for less than an hour of work. Sure beats $5.85 as a teachers aid!

A family member cleared 6 figures last year scraping metal. But he buys out large items from companies. Last summer I made an extra $1200 in my spare time. That was more than my regular job. It sure doesn't sound like much but I have yet to make under $25 per hour.:D