Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much can my drivetrain take?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinRojo, May 22, 2001.

1. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I don't think this will be a problem at all, but just in case. My 83 has a 700r4, Corp 10b and NP208 T-case. Could this handle about 310 HP and 385 ft/lbs torque when i floor it? I would assume, but i just want to be safe.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

What kinda wheeling you do? You kinda have the weak of the weak... What has been done to the 700r4 (updates? rebuilt? etc)... the 10b's will probably be the the first to get thrashed... also depends on tires size and gear ratio.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hehe, here we go. This is how it all started for me. First things first, Pretty sure low gear on any good surface will be bad. I either busted my spiders, broken a driveshaft(this is usually from the rearend locking up from failure), or snapped an axle shaft. Transmission will hold up for the most but with hard driving it will wearout quickly and the more it begins to wear the more likely you will have shifting problems or overheating transmission problems. If the 700 is in good shape it will hold the power just fine. As of now I have not had any problems with the transfer case...... I have beaten the hell out of my 208 and it laughs. I remember reading somewhere a good working 208 will safely handle about 350-400 HP, just remember only if in good shape. The 10 bolt front should be okay as long as you don't have it locked with 44'' tires and try to pull wheely's in reverse[​IMG] . In time you might bust a u-joint on the axle shafts but everyone does. Overall if you are light on the gas and use some logic things will hold up fine for a while. Hope this helps but I would start thinking about a 14 bolt.
    My $0.02
    Mike

You call that dirty!?