Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much can our trucks drag?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Jan 30, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

a poor girl's car ran out of gas 30 feet from the pump...it i had to make a u turn in the lot to get her on the right, so i chained her 89ish escourt to my hitch. I obviously figured she wasnt the smartest branch in the bush, so i told her to just pull the e-brake so i didnt have to worry about her smashing into me

so doing a u turn, uphill, dragging a car, ebrake on, in the slick ass snow and ice 2wd, was like it wasnt even there

this guy in a 98 dakota says lets chain up his truck to mine and see who would win...i laughed

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    this guy in a 98 dakota says lets chain up his truck to mine and see who would win...i laughed

[/ QUOTE ]
    bahahahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Silly dodge boy... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Nice Guy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    as for the dodge guy you should have hooked up to him pulled him and lauged at him /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've pulled non-rolling car hulks (2-3000lbs probably) in dirt with the hitch with no problem. Also pulled an 80 or 90-something t-bird out of the ditch (was high centered) on wet pavement with no problem. I don't think either one of those is even close to what you could "drag" if you needed to, and had the right equipment to hook up to whatever needed moving.

Usually you are limited more by traction than anything else, at least from my experience.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That kindof happened to me, the kid in a brand new 4.7 R/T was giving me crap because his truck is so much faster, so then it has to be more powerfull. I joked "lets chain them up and see what happens" and he agreed, fully expecting to pull me arround. WRONG. I literally dragged him multiple times up and down the street. I wouldnt stop and it was really pissing him off because there was nothing he could do about it. When i finally stopped he started pissing and moaning about 4wd, and i offered to engage 4wd and we could do it again if he wanted. He was even more pissed at that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Diesel's rule. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats how it is when im pulling out stuck jeeps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My rig drags that friggin' lip on the 14FF on the newspaper in the driveway every morning. I don't think that is the kind of draggin you are looking for however.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I pull 10,000 lbs+ trucks all the time at work, heaviest one I pulled was a giant tow truck that was almost out of air so the brakes were almost applied, had to shift into low range for that one but it pulled it just fine.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How fast are you tryihg to pull it.....

I will say it's in the neighborhood of 45,000 lbs (or 22.5 tons). Thats the weight of our transfer sled. Slightly modified blazers have pulled it (although slowly), but once the teeth of the transfer pan catch, they usually twist a driveshaft or leafsprings. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

You would be surprised what gear reduction will do for you, but the main key is weight. In order for the guys to even try to pull something that heavy, they have to load their rigs with weight (otherwise the tires just spin).

Also, towing and towing safely are two intirely different things.

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I pulled an '01 4x4 S10 ext cab through the mud all day since he would get stuck every 5 seconds, so I just hooked up to him and pulled him through the some nasty mud pits. It was pretty easy. Then again I did it with a healthy 383/5.13s/ Detriot locked front and rear /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif