Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much clearance after fender trimming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Oct 15, 2004.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have about 11"-12" of lift and 39.5" and front axle moved forward 1.5" and when I trimmed my fenders I had them to clear with the tires turned all the way to one side and used a forklift to flex the suspension and make sure that everything would clear. Even with that much lift I still had to trim a huge amount. I have around 10"-12" between my tire and fender with wheels straight on level ground but with the wheels turned and flexed the tire gets about 1/2" from the fender.

Thre reason that I ask is that I am going to go up to 44" to wheel with and I don't really want to have to trim again. I kind of think that I will be alright as long as I don't get real twisted with my wheels turned.

So I am just wondering have people tested their rigs flexed with the wheels turned and maybe had interference but never had a problem off-road, or do most people even test it when they trim it.

thanks

2. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Unfortunatly its always been that I cut and test and it still rubs when I get offroad...or did till I ditched the body.

3. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Dang, thats not cool. I just see so many trucks that have not trimmed or not trimmed as much as I have and I wonder how they get away with it. I guess stiff suspensions and lack of taking it off of pavement contribute to them keeping a straight body without trimming.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess stiff suspensions and lack of taking it off of pavement contribute to them keeping a straight body without trimming.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

how wide are the tires/wheels? if you have narrower tires they'll fit better.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is mine on 39.5's and 5" of total lift.

[​IMG]

Wheels straight I have 10" from the top of the tire to the fender edge, and 10" from the back of the tire to the sheet metal at the lowest point on the fender.

My diff is moved forward 1.25" from stock. I wheeled plenty of twisty stuff in Moab and as far as I know never hit any sheet metal with the tires. I do run crapola Rancho fronts which helps I guess. With softer springs I think I'd hit the core support before anything else.

Did you cut that much or?

Rene