Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much clearence? & welding a 14bff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much ground clearence will I loose if I install a 14bff. I have a 10 bolt now. How much will I loose if the 14bff is shaved.

I have a 14bff lined up, but I don't know the ratio or if it is open or govlock. I am guessing it is govlocked. The guy said that the previous owner used to have a 454 in the truck and would light both tires on burnouts. With a govlock, can still weld it like an open diff? Also, how do you replace the bearings in a 14bff. How hard is it? Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I believe you loose almost 2"s. I dont think you can weld up a gov-lock, or if you can I dont think it will last. The gove lock in my burb had really small spider gears and I think they would break after a while. No clue on the bearings, but can help you out after I do mine :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

you will lose an 1 3/4" of ground clearance, but that doesn't really matter. they are strong enough that you can just drag them across whatever gets in your way. and replacing the bearing is easy, just pull the drum off and they come right out, then just replace the races and your set.

73 Blazer 1Ton 6inch lift, 3 inch body, 36 inch swampers
    79 3/4 ton suburban, soon to be 6 inch lift, 3 inch body, and 44 in boggers. Oh ya

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Anybody ever welded there gov lock in a 14BFF? Is it possible and will it hold up?

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

yeah no kidding you can drag it across anything! When my K30 only had 32" swampers on it my truck was nick-named "trenchdigger" because where ever I went I would leave 3 ruts!!

6. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

wedling a govlock is like welding a posi- the clutchpacks are between the spiders and the carrier, so you don't have two big chunks of metal being welded directly together, rather there are two big chunks with three or four thin disks between them......

crank you welder way up and lay about 5 pounds of wire in the carrier, being sure to weld everything to everything you can! it oughta hold up, if not the results will be spectacular!

greg

** i'm so money **