Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much could I tow with a 1/2ton, V6 truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FreedomIsntFree, Oct 1, 2005.

1. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

I'm assumming not much. I'm selling my Dodge DD and will probably be getting a 1/2ton Ford with a 5 speed and V6.

With the tow hitch, would I be able to pull a trailer with my blazer on it? Or would that be completely too much weight?

Don't know much about towing, so go easy on me guys. :bow:

Just to add, I looked up MPG on the 6 vs. 8 cylinder...and there is only a 1mpg difference. So I might as well get the V8 right? I only wanted the six cylinder because I thought I would be saving gas milege.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

1 mpg diffrence and the V6 has to work harder than the V8 to carry the load. It's not rocket science now is it. Not to mention resale/trade in value between a V6 and a V8.

3. FreedomIsntFree

Well now that I know there is only a 1 mpg difference I know what choice I will make. So will I have any problem towing my K5 on a trailer with a 1/2 ton?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I would say yes. In general, you want something longer and heavier than your towed load, IMHO. At the very least, you'll want trailer brakes and an auxiliary tranny cooler on your tow rig (assuming it's an auto.)

Also look at the GVWR and GCWR for your tow rig-to-be and make sure you're within limits ... and make sure your brakes are in tip-top shape, drive slow, stay out of overdrive, etc.

YMMV.

-- A

5. FreedomIsntFree

Ok. I don't plan on towing it every weekend. But I'm just thinking down the road if I move I will need a way to take the blazer and it's not up for a road trip.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

While this produces a great towing setup, but is not at all near a rule. All the new diesel pickups are able to pull far heavier loads than what the truck weighs. You can't pull much if you want the tow pickup heavier and longer than the trailer. My K5 and trailer is heavier than my Ram Cummins.

Original Poster,

If the truck is a long bed regular cab or a short bed extended cab, you can do it. Can it be done with a short bed regular cab? Yes, but it's little squirrley. I used to haul loades at about 8K with my Lifted K5 with boggers, but it wasn't the safest, and wouldn't do it in town with heavy traffic.

Keep the towed setup as light as possible. A 7K trailer is a must, no 10K and try and keep the weight off the K5 too. I'd try to keep the towed setup at 7K or lighter.

Look for a Ford with a 351 over the 302 versions, the 351 is better for pulling. But, the 302 is probably what gets the 1mpg under the six...I'd bet the 351 is 2 or 3 below. It's a trade off, the 302 gets the mileage but will be pretty weak while in tow. The 351 will still pull down in to the 20's on the right hill.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

He said He was looking at a Ford with a V6 which mean He's looking at a 97 or newer, none of which ever came with a 302 or a 351. The V8 in question would be the 4.6L OHC.

8. FreedomIsntFree

Now that I know there is really no difference between 6 and 8 in MPG, I will be looking for a v8 and manual trans. But I was looking at the regular cab regular bed, not long bed.

This would really only be to pull my blazer in a pinch. I'm sure the truck would have no problems with little uhaul trailers and all that. I'm just thinking worse case scenario when I would HAVE to take the blazer with me LONG distances.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Truth to that longer and heavier than load deal not being right.....Look at semi trucks, their trailers get longer than 43 feet and can have over 40,000lbs. in the thing.....

Shorter wheelbase is just gonna make it a bit more unstable compared to a longer wheelbase. You should do fine with that, but just be careful when you tow something that heavy with a truck that short.

On another note, I was surprised to see that my 99 v6 Jimmy can tow 5,500 lbs....and the thing gets 26mpg on the highway.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:eek1: I've driven quite a few S-dimes and I wouldn't put 5k behind 'em. 4.3's are powerful for a six but towing something only 1,500 pounds lighter than my trail rig and trailer with a Jimmy would forcibly make me brown my pants.

11. 89GMCSuburban

LOL, agreed :haha:

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know what years came with what, and definantly don't know when a freakin six was available in a Ford.... :wink1:

I am pretty sure that Ford used the 302 in at least the Broncos and probably the pickups too.

Regardless, if you are wanting fuel mileage and a reg cab short bed, than towing a K5 is not going to happen, sensibly of course. The more gas friendly 302 just doesn't have what it takes and wheelbase that short will probably be too unstable.

A friend of mine has a truck almost identical to what you are looking for. He has a '92 Dodge ram 1/2t 2wd short bed regular cab with the smaller V8 (318) and a 5 spd manual. There is no way I would ever let him pull my K5 on my trailer, it's too short, probably too gutless with weight behind it, and the springs are too spongy.

13. 89GMCSuburban

But then, he could've mis-spoke (Pulled a Kerry). I've seen dealers print that Wranglers have V6 engines...

14. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sure, pull your K5 with a half ton shorty, shouldn't be a problem.
    I've put many a mile down that way, just load the tongue weight correctly.

I've also pulled a K5, a 4wd shorty and a C/10 shorty big block truck with my wife's 2004 TrailBlazer :eek1: Straight six with an auto, yes and tandem trailer brakes.

Done several multi day trips with both vehicles.

DCP_2193.jpg

DCP_2497roadtrip.jpg

DCP_2907yellowblazer.jpg

15. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I have also towed my blazer with my trailblazer no problem as for a ford being up for that task I don't know :haha:

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Standard cab longbox... anything with 130" of wheelbase or more... and good brakes can tow a lot. A large part of it is tires (short stiff tires with the tires so you get more track width is better), the quality of trailer brakes, load distribution and height, and how well you tie the load down to the trailer.

I don't care what anyone says, the load should not move independently of the trailer. If I can get on top of the load and make it move independently of the trailer there is something wrong. This makes all the difference between a nice leisurely tow and a white knuckle ride with whiplash and carsickness.

Add niceties like shocks on the trailer, a weight distributing hitch, or a trailer anti-sway device then it becomes cake.

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Definately get the v8 over the v6.

Depending on what year, the manuals were terrible (a lot wer e POS mazda trannies, not really heavy duty).

A f150 *could* do it. Please spend the money on a weight distribution and anti sway setup. And please have working trailer brakes. SPend the money and get a good controller, and have brakes on all 4 wheels.

I highly recommend the dual cam, and the prodigy controller.

I also recommend strapping down the whole truck to the trailer, not just the axles as some have said, unless your suspension is real rigid.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It's real simple when Ford (F-150) switched to A-arm IFS in 97 they also switched to the V6 and the OHC modular V8's. Yes Ford used the 302/5.0 in the Broncos and pickups, as a matter of fact they made millions of them over the years.
    BTW a diesel 3/4-1 ton is not always required to tow something :rolleyes: like some people seem to think. Gas rigs were used long before diesel pickups ever hit the show rooms. A 1/2 ton will handle a K5 on a trailer (with trailer brakes) just fine just so long as its not on steep grades.

19. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

when youve got 275 hp out of a straight six its easy to say that but your forgetting one thing... its a furd. :D

I have NO CLUE what the blue oval motors make but if history has told us anything its lower than the chevys. I do know they came out with their 3 valve motor a few years ago and they claim 80 something percent of peak tq at 2000 rpm IIRC. I've heard of people saying theres really no difference and others say it pulls like a bb. I guess you'll have to test drive it. I'd go for the new 3 valve if it were me.

20. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I say do it. Hell, I pulled a 260Z with a sb350/TH350 on a 16' trailer 250 miles home with an '86 Isuzu Pup (4cyl/ 5spd). I had to get the weight just right to keep the rear bumper off the pavement. Probably a little dangerous, and certainly not ideal, but it got it home with no problems. You'd be surprised what you and your vehicles can do when they have to. If I can pull a car home with a Pup, you should be more than fine with a 1/2 ton.