Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much did it cost you to go 4-link?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 16, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I want to go 4-link + coilovers in the rear of my 85 and was wondering how much you guys spent on such an upgrade. I haven't researched what brands of coilovers are the best value for the $ yet, so Im not sure which ones I will go with... Im just trying to figure out about how much the project will cost before i dive in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif anyway, if you've done this upgrade, could ya post some simple vitals (ie brand of shocks/coils, type of heims/joints you used, whether or not you did all the fab or design work etc) and a round about figure for how much it cost?

j

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i know somebody who has (IIRC) ~750.00 in 4 links and 4 heim joints. let alone the coil overs and the time and material to build all the mounts.

it is spendy.
    oh, those were also solid aluminum links.
    Grant

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

when i worked it all out as i had planned it was a little over $1500 with COILS. from what i hear king coilover are about $1500 EACH so add about 2700 to that number . . .

that was all DOM tubing and i was going to make my own brackets from 1/4" x 2" strapping. all heim joints and a solid 2x2 beam for an x-member i still have all the heim joint retailers bookmarked if you need them.

4. jekbrown

yikes, solid aluminum? no wonder they cost em so much! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

i can see how links can be spendy tho. I imagine the big azz heims like the ones whiteknight uses (1.25"?) are prolly pretty spendy by themselves.

j

5. jekbrown

bowtie, you have a pm. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what size dom do most fullsizes use for links? diameter? wall thickness?

j

6. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

2.5 king coilovers will run about 1400-1500 for the set. That's with springs and that's a 14 inch travel coilover. From what I've heard... 3000 - 4000 dollars with coilovers is about the going rate for a reputable shop to do it. I don't trust my welds especially at 75-90mph.

It was around 4200 for my 4link front.

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

labor hours: 58
    cost for labor 2900
    cost for coilovers 1400
    cost for materials extra of course!

parts for the front conversion:
    8 m02153bk bushings
    2 king coilovers w/ res. and dual rate springs
    5 left handed 3/4 rod ends
    1 right hand 3/4 rod end
    6 high misalignment bushing kits
    5 left handed 3/4 - 16 jam nuts
    1 right handed 3/4 jam jut
    40ft of 1- 1/4 .281 DOM
    10 ft of 1 -1/2 .120 chromo
    8 ft of 1-3/4 .120 chromo
    4 ft of 2" .120 round
    4 ft of 1/8 plate
    3 ft of 3/16 plate
    2 ft of 1/4 plate
    18 1/2" grade 8 bolts
    4 res. standoffs
    4 hose clamps
    5 ft. 1 -1/2 .120 round
    2 ft. 3/4 .120 dom

8. jekbrown

man, king coil overs rock, but they are freakin $pendy as hell too. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif are there any cheaper alternatives that still work? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

j

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

you can often (from what I've heard) find used coilovers from race trucks and the like. Just make sure you get 2.5 and nothing smaller. They are completely rebuildable as long as the main body isn't smashed etc.

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

you can use coils. dodge front lift coils are huge diamter and can hold the weight. don't forget coil clips or limiting straps though.

11. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I don't even know the total cost for mine.

2" .475 wall DOM....Lots
    1.25" Heim joints...expensive
    1" grade 8 bolts....mucho dinero
    Having a rig that goes right where I point it and up and over rocks the size of VW's...............Priceless!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We're guessing around $3K for a rear kit once all the bracketry is worked out. That'll still require a bed cage that's not part of that price since it can tie to your existing tube work if you have it or we can sell the bed cage for it.
    All of it is expensive, joints, shocks, springs, heavy DOM tubing, nice HD brackets, etc. But it should work nice.

We're looking into a cheaper coil kit as a budget alternative but even that will require the bracketry, link arms, joints, etc. I think the jeep guys are getting a bargain with the $3K long arm and coil conversion kits. They do start with upper coil mounts and higher production numbers....

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If you dont want to go Coilovers go with Coil Springs. Bronco 3.5" front lift springs up front and Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 3.5" rear lift springs for the rear of your rig. I am in the process of weighing my rig at each corner, then figuring a spring rate I need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jekbrown

wow stephen, i didnt even know you guys were planning on offering 4-link suspensions in kit form... that'd be sweet. I honestly dont want anything outrageously exotic, just a standard 4-link with a decent amount of travel so I can bob/tube the rear of my rig and stuff like that. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If you guys offered the components seperately as well so do it yourselfer's could get what they need and skip on stuff they don't that'd be awesome. guess I'll have to start following the ORD forums again... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j