Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much did you pay for your engagement ring?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 78Suburban, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how much I should save up before I start shopping for one. How much is about right? I'm thinking about 2,000. How much did yall pay, and was it back in the day when gas costed a buck a gallon, or was it more recently? Any details on the ring would be cool, or better yet a pic of it.. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should look for and how much I should look to spend.. I'm gonna start setting back 2 funds.. one for the ring, and one for the Dana 60 :rolleyes:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Too much.

But I did skip the engagement ring and just bought her the wedding ring. Bought her a band that went with it for the wedding. I did get off easy when I bought the big one as she had her grandmother's diamond set into the setting I bought her.

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I just got engaged this year and I feel that it is way too easy to go over the top...in my case, i 'm not sure I would want to marry a girl who wouldn't accept a piece of wrapped aluminum foil if that was all I could afford. With that said, I figured I should spend at least as much on a ring as I would on a new set of 38" TSL's with Rims, but less than a brand new rig...

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

planning on 15-1700, over two years so it shouldn't be that bad :)

5. noahrob

To me, that seems like a very very reasonable amount. In other words, right in there...

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's been a while and I honestly don't remember exactly what I spent, but I will throw in my 2 cents - Getting her a ring that she is happy with is more important than the amount that you spend. If you spend $5000 on something that she will not be happy wearing every day, you spent too much.

I bought an antique engagement ring that my wife loves. It was, and is, exactly her style. It's not huge, but it makes her happy and that's what counts.

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I think I spent about $1000-1200 last spring ('05) on a 1/2 karat. When we went to get our wedding rings, they didn't have a band that really matched the ring, and her hands are small so the ring with another band looked gawdy. She said she liked her ring and would just keep it. I didn't want that so I made her double the size in the same style. I had already paid the first one off and they gave me full credit for it. Paid the difference off with winnings from the wedding and honeymoon in Vegas. :D

8. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

i couldn't agrre more... the best peice of advise that i was ever given and will ever give is to remember... "what it takes to get them, is what it takes to keep them..." so remember if you spoil her now, you will have a hard row to hoe in the future...

9. 78Suburban

That's just it.. I don't think I have been spoiling her. I bring her on dates and buy her crap everynow and then, but I spend alot more on myself and the burb. She's nothing but good to me, and I really want to get her something nice. I wish I had a way to let her pick out the ring, but still surprise her..

I also gotta think up some kinda romantic proposal idea.. :thinking:

10. noahrob

Ther are two tracks to take, one is the surprise (my personla preference) and one is the pick it out together...As for the place, I won't bore you guys with what I did becaseu a) it meant a heck of a lot more to us then it would mean to you and b) it is kind of long....but with that said, I thought long and hard about the whole surprise thing and the key for me was to make it about us, nothing else. In other words, not us and anything, just a private, spritual and pretty emotional event that I will savor and enjoy for years to come...

11. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

got the diamond from her grandmother !!!

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look carefully at the other jewelry that she wears. When she is dressed nice. This may require a nice dinner.

My wife wears primarily platinum and white gold. That part was easy. She also likes, and owns, several older rings. Family heirlooms. She does not have any really large rings, so a very large ring would be too much.

I just got one that fit the style and metal type that was also within the range of what she wore before.

13. Homeslice

Homeslice 1/2 ton status

Talk to her friends or her mom or whoever is close to her!!!!!

14. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would say go shopping with her my wife picked out her ring and it is totally not here style. Initially I could not afford the diamond and they put a cubic zirconia in it. Just make sure she knows you are going to do this. Fortunenately I got an extra job so it had a diamond in it when we got married. My mom wore a fake gold band for years cause they couldn't afford anything else. Good luck with everything

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$800. My mom has a wholesalers jewelers license, so she got me a VERY nice (clarity/color etc) 1/2 carrat princess cut diamond and a good looking-but-simple white gold ring for it to go in. Wife wubbed it... added an inexpensive band for the wedding-ring part (whatever) and all was good.

j

16. 78Suburban

Dang, wish I wasn't on the otherside of the continent from ya, or we might just have to go jewlery shopping :D

17. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Its all relative. I was only making about $600 a month as a college student so I spent $1,500 back in 1995 between my 2nd and 3rd years of college. I did make good money in the summers doing farm work but that had to help with college tuition. $ 1,400 was alot of money for me back then. She had more money then I did because she was already working as a teacher (couple of years older then me). Now adays $ 1,400 doesn't seem like all that much. In July we spent $ 1,400 on gas and diesel:)))

18. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I meant to comment on this also. I was lucky enough for mine to say yes before she even saw the ring. (I slipped it on in the dark) She was afraid to turn the light on. :haha: Anyway, if the size of the ring is going to be a deciding factor for her, look for someone else. You should know that she will say yes even if you do show up with something out of a bubble gum machine. Spend what you can comfortably afford on something that will wow her in the heart, not the purse.

19. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

I got lucky. My wife doesn't like diamonds. So I bought her an Emerald for about $200. She loves it. Like someone else said it is not about how much it cost but how much thought went into it.:wink1:

20. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Not in terms of marriage, but probably true with my gf.

Guess thats what happens with your first gf.....you spoil them rotten at first....and then have no tricks up your sleeve when you screw up......:haha: