Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much difference do headers make?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jan 23, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

How much noticeable difference would I notice with shorty headers? I am considering purchasing some. Any personal opinions welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

full length headers gave me enough torque to start out in 2nd gear in the K5. That was with the 2.73 rear. Always had to start in kreeper before.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I don't think simply switching to headers really makes a noticeable difference except in the sound. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It's a good mod though.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

A set of good headers makes a difference. I have thorleys and you can tell there is a lot of low end torque /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Definetly worth it!

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I would suggest full length headers. I installed a set of shorty headers on my buddy's 95 K1500 and it felt much weaker off the line. It did pull harder in the upper RPM range, but for use in a truck I really didn't like the lack of low end. When I installed a set of Hedman full length headers on my 78 I could feel more power throuought the RPM range. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Shortys are almost useless, go long tube you will see a big diffrence in your low end torque and top end power.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Generically, shorties help on the top end, long tubes are a better balance, especially for trucks.

header test

That isn't the best header test I've seen, but check out the torque figures on the "stock" motor. (HP was up, but not as impressive) A modified motor would see even larger gains with the right headers.

8. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

go long. headers have often been called the best performance mod for your buck that you could do /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

long tube headers...

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i think of headers like heads. they aren't necessarily going to add a ton of power until you start modding. they more or less are a potential increaser. for instance they could add 100hp in a 800hp engine running stock manifolds. either way, they sound awesome too!

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i think of headers like heads. they aren't necessarily going to add a ton of power until you start modding.

[/ QUOTE ]

But anymore, neither one of those is remotely true! You can bolt a set of heads or headers on a stock 350 and see at LEAST 20HP and a lot more torque. (and in the case of heads, I'm being VERY conservative)

Yes, the more mods the more your gains are, but in proportion, they are no less significant on a "less powerful" engine.

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

by "ton of power" i mean 100+hp

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no single mod will make 100+ hp except maybe a blower but even then you have to do ignition and fuel system upgrades.

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shorties are a waste, you might as well run a standard exhaust manifold. The only manifold it's going to be impressive compared against is a log-style manifold.

If you're going to bother with headers at least go with 3/4 length. Otherwise, buy normal full length headers. Actual "longtubes" were the headers developed that have more than a foot of straight pipe before the collectors. I don't know if there is much if any benefit of running these.

Headers, even crappy $100 ones, are real nice if you plan on making more power. I'd only put headers on when redoing the rest of the exhaust though.

I believe Summit still sells Hooker headers for $150...

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree, Shorties are a waste. There good if your tight on room. But the longer, equal length headers will give you the best gain.

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Headers are sweet. Everyone knows what headers are! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Full length headers will smoke shorties if you're puttin em in your truck.