Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much do I need to lengthen the front driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russ1020, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Russ1020

Russ1020 Registered Member

Is there a chart or conversion table that tells how much you need to lenghten your driveshafts after a signifigant ammount of lift. I have a 1977 K10 with 7" of suspension lift and 3" of body. The curent front driveshaft is 10" from weld to weld and I am geting a new drive shaft made so I would like to lenghten it to be safe, but Im not sure how much?

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

All you need to do is mesure the distance between the mounting points /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif of your driveshaft and give that measurement to the DS shop.

3. Russ1020

Russ1020 Registered Member

I relly dont trust these guys to make the adjustments for me, this shop is here in houston, and Its verry affordable, but they are more of a cut weld and ballance shop. I asked them about where I need to grind on the CV joint to that the shaft wont bind any more and he had no Idea what I was talking about. They do good work as long as you tell them exactly what you want. I just had the rear shaft done ( had to change yokes because I went to a 14 bolt rear ) and it turned out good but again I had to spacificly tell them what I wanted and make sure it was done like that. What Im looking for is someone who knows a general ruel like 6" of lift equals 1" of driveshaft for example.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Time to find another shop, period. If they can't even help you measure the working length of your driveshaft, you surely need to find a different shop to work on your driveshaft.

All I did is tell my guy 52 1/4" is the length I need, and that I needed 1350 joints in both ends of the shaft, and three hours later I got a call that it was done, balanced, U joints installed, and ready to rock.