Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much do I need to shim?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Aug 17, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a HAD cv shaft in rear of my rig, but my pinion angle isn't all that great. I don't get vibes much, but I do some around 45 mph and I'd like to eliminate em if at all possible. Anyway, a spring shop near me makes really nice steel ones any angle ya want so I wanna get a set. How exactly do I measure so I know what shims I need? I know there was a REALLY usefull post about this but I have searched for like 30 mins and cant seem to find it. Anyone have the info or a link so I can get this taken care of? I'd appreciate it!

j

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

the pinion at the rear end should be about 2* lower than the driveshaft for a cv shaft, so just get a angle finder and put it on the driveshaft and say it is at 20* and then put it on the pinion on the rear and say it is 12* then you would need a 6* shim to make it at 18*, the pinion will rotate up which is why it needs to be about 2* lower than the driveshaft, hope this helped.
    -Chris

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dont have an angle finder... time to whip out the protractor, some string and all that poop I guess. lol!

j

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I have to get my angle straightened out too but it's gonna need more than a shim. I have a 5* in there now and it not even close. I need to cut off and reweld the spring perches

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont have an angle finder... time to whip out the protractor, some string and all that poop I guess. lol!

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Angle finder, magnetic type, is $9 at home depot!!!!!!!

If you have any questions about how to measure your driveshaft angles, I spent 114 minutes on the phone with Jesse from High Angle today, I will be glad to help you out, I'm now a self-proclaimed expert.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

and driveshaft awareness monitor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    and driveshaft awareness monitor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you managed to trash one of Jesse's HAD's you'd feel bad enough to want to be the driveshaft awareness monitor too.

I wish I'd known how to use an angle finder and bought one a LONG time ago. I bet I could have placed so much better at RTC if I'd only had driveshafts that would stay together, and this all could have been easily avoided if I'd simply checked my angles the right way.

I probably wouldn't run a shim, but you can. Just cut the spring perches off and re-weld them.