Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much do I need to SHORTEN my drive shaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Todd78/87, Jun 1, 2000.

1. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Ok,, here goes,, 78 blazer with splined drive shaft about a foot or so from the front of the shaft. Tuff Country EZ ride 3" front 4 " rear springs. In order to get my drive shaft in, I have to beat the hell out of it with a rubber mallot until it completely bottoms out on the splines, then use a crow bar to get it into the yolk. Maybe this shaft was lengthened at one time,,, I don't know,, but,, My question is,, how much spline travel should there be? It will slide if the wheels drop and the angle of the shaft increases,, but I have to be really bottoming out when the rear wheels come up. Do I want the end of the front half right in the middle of the splines? Or do you not need as much up travel room as down?

Thanks

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I called a drive shaft place and they said they will just measure from yolk to yolk and then they will know what length the shaft should be.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound